Injury Report: AA Cleared to play on 12/9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
It was Helm, Vanek and AA. Nyquist left more to be desired.

No it was Helm, Vanek, and Nyquist to start the season. Nyquist was playing great on that line I'm not sure what you're talking about.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Right. Seven games before Vanek got injured. Gus played/started five games on a line with Vanek & Helm (Bolts, Cats, Sens, Rangers & Preds).
Contributed 3 points in that period:

1 vs. Bolts
1 vs. Panthers
1 vs. Preds

AA played/started two games on a line with Vanek & Helm (Sharks & Canes). Contributed 2 points in that period:

1 vs. Sharks
1 vs. Canes

For the Sharks game, they just seemed to start on the same line, though.
Gus scored twice that game with Helm being on his line at that time, AA once with Vanek on his line.

That's what you'd call "crushing it the first half dozen games" in regard to AA on that line, but not with Gus on it? Okay.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
That's what you'd call "crushing it the first half dozen games" in regard to AA on that line, but not with Gus on it? Okay.

Well, I threw a question mark on my comment because I wasn't sure, but I appreciate the rude demeanor and snarky comment. Have a great holiday and Let's Go Wings!

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Ehm, that was directed to Dotter actually. Thought I didn't need to make it any clearer, sorry. Especially as I confirmed the post by DanZ.
I perceived it the same way as u and put emphasis on Vanek & Nike having great chemistry in a couple of other threads already.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Ehm, that was directed to Dotter actually. Thought I didn't need to make it any clearer, sorry. Especially as I confirmed the post by DanZ.
I perceived it the same way as u and put emphasis on Vanek & Nike having great chemistry in a couple of other threads already.

No probs Bob. Go Wings! Chicago sucks.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Really excited to see AA back in action. He's the only injury that couldn't be easily replaced in the lineup

Nauzhror

Apr 4, 2014
Really excited to see AA back in action. He's the only injury that couldn't be easily replaced in the lineup

I don't consider Mrazek to be a Howard replacement, not this season anyway.

Howard, .94 SV%, 1.82 GAA

Mrazek, .908 SV%, 2.84 GAA

League Average, .915 SV%, 2.53 GAA

Mrazek is worse than average in both categories, Howard is third best SV% and GAA.

We're 4-1-2 with Howard gone though, which isn't too bad, but only 1 game in that span (3-1 win vs Dallas) has Mrazek matched Howard's season average.

The only game however that looks like Howard'd have changed the result was the loss to Pittsburgh and that game was played by Coreau, who posted .865 SV%.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Mrazek is worse than average in both categories, Howard is third best SV% and GAA.

We're 4-1-2 with Howard gone though, which isn't too bad, but only 1 game in that span (3-1 win vs Dallas) has Mrazek matched Howard's season average.

The only game however that looks like Howard'd have changed the result was the loss to Pittsburgh and that game was played by Coreau, who posted .865 SV%.

Mrazek's career SV% is higher than Howard's career SV%.... so there's that.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

In his 5 starts since Jimmy Howard went down Mrazek has a .930 and a 2.2 GAA

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Right. Seven games before Vanek got injured. Gus played/started five games on a line with Vanek & Helm (Bolts, Cats, Sens, Rangers & Preds).
Contributed 3 points in that period:

1 vs. Bolts
1 vs. Panthers
1 vs. Preds

AA played/started two games on a line with Vanek & Helm (Sharks & Canes). Contributed 2 points in that period:

1 vs. Sharks
1 vs. Canes

For the Sharks game, they just seemed to start on the same line, though.
Gus scored twice that game with Helm being on his line at that time, AA once with Vanek on his line.

Wha? Directed towards me by fabricating a quote I never said? Well then, by all means... Have fun with that :laugh:

Nauzhror

Apr 4, 2014
In his 5 starts since Jimmy Howard went down Mrazek has a .930 and a 2.2 GAA

Yeah, he's not done bad, better than he did earlier in the season, but still shy of Howard's season average. Coreau's loss to Pittsburgh was really the only game I feel Howard being gone affected, as I don't believe Howard or Mrazek would have allowed 5 goals in.

It honestly irks me that he played Coreau, I know he needs experience, but we'd be 2 spots higher in the standings had we won that game.

Nauzhror

Apr 4, 2014
Wha? Directed towards me by fabricating a quote I never said? Well then, by all means... Have fun with that :laugh:

"It was Helm, Vanek and AA. Nyquist left more to be desired."

That's not fabricated, it was definitely a quote, from you. It is what he was rebutting.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah, he's not done bad, better than he did earlier in the season, but still shy of Howard's season average. Coreau's loss to Pittsburgh was really the only game I feel Howard being gone affected, as I don't believe Howard or Mrazek would have allowed 5 goals in.

It honestly irks me that he played Coreau, I know he needs experience, but we'd be 2 spots higher in the standings had we won that game.

Honestly I'm still baffled as to why he didn't let Pete play Pitt and Jared play NYI. I doesn't make sense to me. To be fair, there was some pretty **** play in front of Coreau in the third. He should've stopped the Bonino goal though.

The season average doesn't matter much to me at this point. I don't expect Jimmy to be a .940 goalie... or even a .930 goalie all season. Nor do I expect Pete to end up at .910. I think with their starts they have pretty even numbers closer to the end of the year. Jimmy needs to prove to me that his mental game is still strong when he gets back - that's been his problem for the last year and a half; understandably so it's been a peculiar situation for him. He went from Vezina contender to backup in the playoffs in a matter of months after an injure. Petr has elite ability in net we've seen it.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm

While u didn't come up with the exact same quote, u didn't question it & corrected it to the degree of AA being the third man on that "crushing" line.
I tried to confute it, but reacting to it, u rather chose to pick one part out & play dumb unfortunately.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
"It was Helm, Vanek and AA. Nyquist left more to be desired."

That's not fabricated, it was definitely a quote, from you. It is what he was rebutting.

The poster chose to fabricate a quote and it is dishonest. I called him out on it.

While u didn't come up with the exact same quote, u didn't question it & corrected it to the degree of AA being the third man on that "crushing" line.
I tried to confute it, but reacting to it, u rather chose to pick one part out & play dumb unfortunately.

You need to go back and watch the first 10 - 12 games or so and stop looking at stat sheets.

I stand behind what I said because I watched every single game. Nyquist left more to be desired. It's nice he got some assists and secondary assists off the back of Vanek's sick offensive hockey IQ and skill. Though, credit to Nyquist he did score like 3 goals along side Vanek to start the sesaon. Again, thanks Vanek! :naughty:

Nyquist had like 3 assists, 1 goal and was a -3 while Vanek was out injured.

What does this tell us? Nyquist left more to be desired.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
The poster chose to fabricate a quote and it is dishonest. I called him out on it.

No, didn't "chose to fabricate a quote", and I didn't mean to make it look like that. I just picked up a crucial part of the post that u referred to. Putting it in quotation marks as u didn't question it - as I've said already - and to put emphasis on not agreeing with your take on the issue. If there wasn't a line with Vanek & Helm that played that good, why did u just switch names? U don't need to reply to the last part, rather a rhetorical question. Just felt the need to defend myself against your accusations. If it didn't come across as I meant to, mea culpa.

You need to go back and watch the first 10 - 12 games or so and stop looking at stat sheets.

I stand behind what I said because I watched every single game. Nyquist left more to be desired. It's nice he got some assists and secondary assists off the back of Vanek's sick offensive hockey IQ and skill. Though, credit to Nyquist he did score like 3 goals along side Vanek to start the sesaon. Again, thanks Vanek! :naughty:

Nyquist had like 3 assists, 1 goal and was a -3 while Vanek was out injured.

What does this tell us? Nyquist left more to be desired.

I also watched all games except from the Panthers one. And my problem isn't that u call Gus out in regard to room for improvement actually. Rather that u corrected the initial post by saying, it was AA who was on that pretty good line instead. As I've stated, he just played two games on that line and contributed two points. Same as Gus did vs. much tougher opponents. Isn't saying much.

If u totally deny that Vanek, Helm & Gus - line looking good from the start on, I can't help u. Especially as Gus & Vanek picked up where they left off after his injury. Acknowledging that doesn't necessarily excludes Gus leaving still more to be desired - what I don't even contest, considering that we all know what he's capable of. But again, opponent has to be taken into account as well.

That being said, I generally agree with you that AA looked pretty good with Vanek as well. So I'm not even arguing about him having the main impact. He just adds so much to our game right now. Just feels like that you're usually pretty harsh on Gus, while not really acknowledging the stuff that he's good at. I'm critical of him myself & the opinion that he needs to play better again.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
No, didn't "chose to fabricate a quote", and I didn't mean to make it look like that. I just picked up a crucial part of the post that u referred to. Putting it in quotation marks as u didn't question it - as I've said already - and to put emphasis on not agreeing with your take on the issue. If there wasn't a line with Vanek & Helm that played that good, why did u just switch names? U don't need to reply to the last part, rather a rhetorical question. Just felt the need to defend myself against your accusations. If it didn't come across as I meant to, mea culpa.

I also watched all games except from the Panthers one. And my problem isn't that u call Gus out in regard to room for improvement actually. Rather that u corrected the initial post by saying, it was AA who was on that pretty good line instead. As I've stated, he just played two games on that line and contributed two points. Same as Gus did vs. much tougher opponents. Isn't saying much.

If u totally deny that Vanek, Helm & Gus - line looking good from the start on, I can't help u. Especially as Gus & Vanek picked up where they left off after his injury. Acknowledging that doesn't necessarily excludes Gus leaving still more to be desired - what I don't even contest, considering that we all know what he's capable of. But again, opponent has to be taken into account as well.

That being said, I generally agree with you that AA looked pretty good with Vanek as well. So I'm not even arguing about him having the main impact. He just adds so much to our game right now. Just feels like that you're usually pretty harsh on Gus, while not really acknowledging the stuff that he's good at. I'm critical of him myself & the opinion that he needs to play better again.

I'm not talking about AA looking good on any individual line. I am talking about players and how they are playing 200 feet with the icetime they get; not individual lines.

AA looked good on any line he played on and generates his own offense. Nyquist was riding the coattail of Thomas Vanek. Nyquist was still soft on the puck and was weak along the corners and left more to be desired. Vanek spoon fed him the points you are looking at on his stat sheet. That's why I encourage watch the game instead of looking up stat sheets.

Again, for clarity, I am not talking about lines. I am talking about individual players.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

I wasn't a fan of starting Coreau that game either. I also don't think Mrazek would have fared much better, though. Might not have let in 5, but I think the loss was all but guaranteed, no matter who was starting. Pittsburgh is just on a whole nother level than the Wings. The only thing that brings them down a notch is Murray/Fleury being hit or miss pretty much all season. Pens have the firepower to outscore those misses. Wings don't.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Reading some of your posts, I'd rather encourage u to watch them actually.

I'm a subscriber to NHL.tv. Tell me specifically which games to watch (w/ timestamp would be helpful) and I'll go back and re-watch these games again. Sounds like something I'd enjoy doing anyhow.

Here's mine:

Oct 21st
Nyquist 8:39 in the 1st period loses battle gives away puck and ultimately Wings lose posses of the puck.

On Nyquist's 1st assist, on the PP Helm wins a draw straight to Nyquist, Gus passes back to Sproul who shoots the puck that got through to net with Abby being at the top of the crease cleaned up and scored a dirty goal. Nyquist got the easiest secondary assist ever imaginable even to pee-wee hockey.

Another perfect example not to stat watch.

On Nyquist goal at 8:33 in the 3rd period, Nyquist loses a board battle to NSH player who then passes up to Forsberg on the rush, then loses the puck off his stick being uncontested (Nyquist not back checking as he was too far out of position) as Nyquist was behind the play with NSH on a possible rush to goal. Forsberg floats puck off his stick with Nyquist being out of position gets the puck on his stick for a perfect clear lane to net and scores an uncontested goal. Nice goal, equivalent to a shoot-out goal. But it all started because Nyquist lost a soft battle along the board behind the Preds net.

So credit to Nyqusit for losing yet another board battle and not backchecking Forsberg who was on a possible rush up ice. Thankfully Forsberg mishandles the puck straight to Nyquist's stick.

dUJFM8p.jpg

Do you have any specific timestamps you'd like me to look at? I can go back and look as I am an NHL.tv subscriber and have access to all the games (which I have already watched).

EDIT:

I specifically chose this game because Nyquist had 2 points. Despite Nyqusit scoring 2 points, he was brutal. He had multiple giveaways and can't win little man on man battles. His secondary assist was nothing special at all and his goal was because he lost a battle and Preds player mishandled puck. Credit to Nyquist it was a nice shot beating Pekka. But it all started from a mistake by Nyquist and a lazy play by a young Forsberg. All-in-all, Nyquist left more to be desired in this game even though he got on the scoresheet.

Last edited:

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I do, but sitting in trains for more than 9 straight hours, and still in it, with 600 mb data volume per month isn't the best timing to deliver 'em.

I'll do my best to get em done tmrw.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014

This isn't an unusual play. If a backup is going to play in one of two games, then they will often get started in the game against the better team. The reasoning is that you have a better chance of beating the worse team at full strength than the better team. It actually did work out, as the wings got a win against the islanders. Who knows what happens if they had switched games? Maybe they win both, but maybe they lose both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->