A year in the life of the NHL

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Pretty cool doc I stumbled upon. I don’t remember even hearing about it at the time.

It takes me back though. I remember it took years, years before Joe Thornton solidified himself as a better NHLer than Sergei Samsonov.

Anyway, lots of “behind the scenes” footage and I’d say a very worthwhile watch.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
At one point Sergei Samsonov and Petr Sykora were considered the coming top wingers in the game, or something. The hype was real (and partly backed up by promising starts on their respective NHL careers).

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
At one point Sergei Samsonov and Petr Sykora were considered the coming top wingers in the game, or something. The hype was real (and partly backed up by promising starts on their respective NHL careers).

I don't remember Samsonov being a top winger, I remember him having potential to be a top winger.

I'm sure if he played in the 80's instead of the DPE his career would of been nicer.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Oh I remember it alright! It aired in the summer/fall of 1998 if I remember correctly. There were 6 or 7 parts. I taped them all on my VCR and re-watched them. I mean, it's 1998, no one has Youtube and this was a rare treat to see behind the scenes footage of things. Yeah they really lay into Joe Thornton at one point.

They started in the 1997 draft and carried on to the 1998 Cup finals. The Olympics were highlighted as well. Lots of fun to watch this. I remember them highlighting Milbury during the 1997 draft. He had picks 4 and 5. I remember thinking just how lucky the Islanders were because they had a bright future..................yeah, I know.

But they cover a lot of ground. I remember a reporter bugging Sergei Fedorov for an interview about his hold out and Fedorov told him he didn't want to talk to him unless it was about the Olympics. People forget, Fedorov held out almost the whole season from Detroit until getting signed in March I believe it was.

Then the whole thing with Edmonton almost moving to Houston and then the franchise getting saved. Come to think of it, there were lots of storylines in 1998, this documentary covers them all.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Oh I remember it alright! It aired in the summer/fall of 1998 if I remember correctly. There were 6 or 7 parts. I taped them all on my VCR and re-watched them. I mean, it's 1998, no one has Youtube and this was a rare treat to see behind the scenes footage of things. Yeah they really lay into Joe Thornton at one point.

They started in the 1997 draft and carried on to the 1998 Cup finals. The Olympics were highlighted as well. Lots of fun to watch this. I remember them highlighting Milbury during the 1997 draft. He had picks 4 and 5. I remember thinking just how lucky the Islanders were because they had a bright future..................yeah, I know.

But they cover a lot of ground. I remember a reporter bugging Sergei Fedorov for an interview about his hold out and Fedorov told him he didn't want to talk to him unless it was about the Olympics. People forget, Fedorov held out almost the whole season from Detroit until getting signed in March I believe it was.

Then the whole thing with Edmonton almost moving to Houston and then the franchise getting saved. Come to think of it, there were lots of storylines in 1998, this documentary covers them all.

I like when the end staff is sitting in stands watching the training camp and they mention getting Joe to watch Jason Alisson tapes and telling him “if you don’t pick up your efforts, this could be you.”

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I like when the end staff is sitting in stands watching the training camp and they mention getting Joe to watch Jason Alisson tapes and telling him “if you don’t pick up your efforts, this could be you.”

Ironically, that is Mike O'Connell saying this. He is the eventual Bruins GM (Assistant at the time I think) and he ends up trading Thornton to San Jose.

Reactions: koyvoo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->