A way the NHL/OLN can make the draft a bigger event

Randall Graves*

Start showing CHL/NCAA games. Why are the NBA and NFL drafts such big events? Because they get lots of college games on TV, that way people start to get more familiar with the players and it drums up more interest.

I'm not sure if it's an option but OLN doesn't have anything better to show anyways!

lemieux32*

RallyKiller said:
Start showing CHL/NCAA games. Why are the NBA and NFL drafts such big events? Because they get lots of college games on TV, that way people start to get more familiar with the players and it drums up more interest.

I'm not sure if it's an option but OLN doesn't have anything better to show anyways!

It won't become bigger for three reasons:

1) The NHL does not get TV ratings for games, much less a draft

2) College hockey is not that popular as a whole compared to basketball or football. Neither is Junior hockey outside of the USA.

3) Most hockey draftees do not go straight to the NHL. In football and basketball many do.

The hockey draft is very similar to baseball which is why neither are that popular.

Jimmypop316

Jun 21, 2005
I wish CHL games were broadcast down here in the states. Only a pipe dream that they will though

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
lemieux32 said:
It won't become bigger for three reasons:

1) The NHL does not get TV ratings for games, much less a draft

2) College hockey is not that popular as a whole compared to basketball or football. Neither is Junior hockey outside of the USA.

3) Most hockey draftees do not go straight to the NHL. In football and basketball many do.

The hockey draft is very similar to baseball which is why neither are that popular.

Well, the popular refrain of no tv ratings. What does OLN have to lose- show some college games and at least get some people's interest. Right now there are no tv ratings for college hockey because there is none to watch. I get so tired of the attitude that hockey gets no tv ratings- try some stuff for pete's sake and try giving it a chance. Maybe if people start getting interested in lower level hockey players who are drafted they will start following the NHL as well as maybe seeing some minor league or college hockey in person- who knows. Maybe you can grow college hockey to a little more that just regional interest- who knows. You have to try some things or you might as well just have the pity party and say forget hockey at all on tv- which I am not prepared to do.

Old Hickory

RallyKiller said:
Start showing CHL/NCAA games
I don't know what cable or Satellite system you have, but you can see quite a few NCAA games on the regional Fox Sports affiliates.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
kingsjohn said:
I don't know what cable or Satellite system you have, but you can see quite a few NCAA games on the regional Fox Sports affiliates.

I don't get any Fox sport stations on my cable- use to but not anymore. Again, what does OLN have to lose by showing some college/NCAA games- show some of the ones that the Fox affiliates are not airing in some areas like mine that don't have a Fox sport affiliate.

I am Jack's Fish

puck57 said:
Well, the popular refrain of no tv ratings. What does OLN have to lose- show some college games and at least get some people's interest. Right now there are no tv ratings for college hockey because there is none to watch. I get so tired of the attitude that hockey gets no tv ratings- try some stuff for pete's sake and try giving it a chance. Maybe if people start getting interested in lower level hockey players who are drafted they will start following the NHL as well as maybe seeing some minor league or college hockey in person- who knows. Maybe you can grow college hockey to a little more that just regional interest- who knows. You have to try some things or you might as well just have the pity party and say forget hockey at all on tv- which I am not prepared to do.

Well said. Ratings on OLN are something that can only grow as more and more hockey coverage is offered, as well as OLN getting on more cable carriers. If they continue to offer what they are offering, eventually any and every hockey fan will turn off the other sports channels of the world in order to see hockey highlights and programming.

If I know I don't have to rely on Sportscenter for hockey highlights, and there is another better channel givign me those highlights, that is where I am going to.

I am Jack's Fish

BTW: The 2006 NHL Entry Draft is Saturday, June 24 at General Motors Place in Vancouver, broadcast nationally in Canada on TSN and in the United States on OLN beginning at 6 p.m., Eastern time.

(from an NHL Press Release)

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I am Jack's Fish said:
BTW: The 2006 NHL Entry Draft is Saturday, June 24 at General Motors Place in Vancouver, broadcast nationally in Canada on TSN and in the United States on OLN beginning at 6 p.m., Eastern time.

sweet i'll be able to watch it cause the NHL draft is a cant miss event. :sarcasm:

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
I am Jack's Fish said:

Any news if OLN is going to show the awards show- hope they will if they are going to show the draft.

Randall Graves*

kingsjohn said:
if you purchase that fox sports package, otherwise all there is for NCAA is CSTV which shows about one game a week.

and to the other guy, College baseball isn't on espn everyday like college basketball, or like college football where they dedicate entire days too it. the MLB draft would be more popular if the people knew who the players were, and I think the same would be said for hockey for hockey fans atleast.

X0ssbar

Stevedude530 said:
6:00 Pm?

That'll make for a lot of poorly-attended draft parties on the East Coast.

How so? I would think early evening would make it more desirable to attend a draft party.

Personally I'm excited its moved to a later time.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
I donno, what was it 12 PM this year? 6,000 showed up to the Meadowlands.

We can barely get 6,000 on a midweek game against the Flames in January.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
I'm trying to ask OLN if they'll do there own coverage or just simulcast.

They've answered me before, so I'm hoping for another go around.

lemieux32*

puck57 said:

Jump to conclusions much? When did I say they shouldn't show CHL or NCAA games? I never did, I simply pointed out the reasons (note that is plural) why the NHL draft will never become a big thing like the NFL or NBA drafts.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
Draft to be held in eastern primetime.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060412.wxtruth12/BNStory/Sports/home

NHL moves this year's entry draft to prime time

By WILLIAM HOUSTON

The National Hockey League is moving its annual entry draft to prime time, hoping the appeal of two American stars will pull in a substantial U.S. television audience.
Defenceman Erik Johnson of the U.S. national under-18 development team and U.S. forward Phil Kessel of the University of Minnesota are expected to be among the first five selections, with Johnson perhaps going first.
The seven-round draft, which will be held Saturday, June 24, in Vancouver, will likely start at 7:30 p.m. EDT and wrap up at about midnight. In Canada, the telecast will be carried on TSN; in the United States, on OLN.
Traditionally, the NHL entry draft has been held on a Saturday afternoon, although there have been one or two occasions when the early part of the draft went in prime time.
TSN lobbied for the evening because of World Cup soccer commitments during the day. TSN has a live World Cup match scheduled for 2:30 p.m. EDT.
For years, the National Basketball Association has held its draft in prime time.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
lemieux32 said:
Jump to conclusions much? When did I say they shouldn't show CHL or NCAA games? I never did, I simply pointed out the reasons (note that is plural) why the NHL draft will never become a big thing like the NFL or NBA drafts.

I'm pointing out with your reasoning that you are already assuming that they will not draw ratings when OLN is not even showing any CHL or NCAA games as of yet. I just get tired of the mindset that anything hockey related will not have good ratings on tv- you are already calculating something as a failure before it is even tried. You have to start somewhere or again you seem to want to do just throw up your hands and say it won't get good ratings before it is even tested.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
puck57 said:
I'm pointing out with your reasoning that you are already assuming that they will not draw ratings when OLN is not even showing any CHL or NCAA games as of yet. I just get tired of the mindset that anything hockey related will not have good ratings on tv- you are already calculating something as a failure before it is even tried. You have to start somewhere or again you seem to want to do just throw up your hands and say it won't get good ratings before it is even tested.

I agree, the NBA draft is what it is because of years and years of marketing it. The NHL needs to start somewhere and I believe they are heading into the right direction. They need to stop all that "the game sells itselfs" stuff because no game sells itself. The media and marketing is a big piece to that puzzle. Good for markets like pittsburgh who don't have an NBA team, but now they can watch the draft live in anticipation, or even columbus which is a great city, Nashville (eventhough they wont really care about this draft but in the future they might), and the list goes on. This is pretty funny though because the way you guys are complaining about hockey not being in the public eye, I hear many basketball fans complaining about how Baseball and Football get more coverage.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm an advocate of getting more college hockey on tv and CSTV and ESPNU are baby steps in the right direction, but in terms of reinforcing the NHL draft as an event I don't see how it would help all that much. The pockets where NCAA hockey is popular New England, the Great Lakes, Minnesota, colorado already have it on tv.

However i do think expansion of college hockey will help the NHL in general.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
I would think one way the NHL would learn to get interest the draft is to keep doing what it did last year. Televise the lottery results!

Instead of in a secret room at noon, and post the results online, run the secret room at noon on Saturday (not a Thursday like this year), and announce the results on NBC at intermission.

Is it really that hard???

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Spydey629 said:
I would think one way the NHL would learn to get interest the draft is to keep doing what it did last year. Televise the lottery results!

Instead of in a secret room at noon, and post the results online, run the secret room at noon on Saturday (not a Thursday like this year), and announce the results on NBC at intermission.

Is it really that hard???
I always agreed with this. They always did this with the NBA lottery. Now I think the NBA lottery is done on a weeknight before a playoff game on ESPN

lemieux32*

puck57 said:

So you looked at my original post and obviously only saw the comment about ratings, completely ignoring the list I made. A very typical thing with hockey fans, it's similar to "little mans syndrome" we aren't as big as the NFL, NBA and MLB so we get mad. Try to read that and then come back with a logical reason why adding CHL and NCAA games would make the NHL draft on par with the NBA and NFL drafts. Points number two and three are the biggest reasons, but you missed those since you couldn't get past point number one.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
lemieux32 said:
So you looked at my original post and obviously only saw the comment about ratings, completely ignoring the list I made. A very typical thing with hockey fans, it's similar to "little mans syndrome" we aren't as big as the NFL, NBA and MLB so we get mad. Try to read that and then come back with a logical reason why adding CHL and NCAA games would make the NHL draft on par with the NBA and NFL drafts. Points number two and three are the biggest reasons, but you missed those since you couldn't get past point number one.

I think the fans actually want to see that stuff instead of trying to be the bigger man. I don't know anyone that wouldn't like something because others don't. I don't like tennis and golf but apparently it gets more ratings than the MLB and NBA.

lemieux32*

PortlandRanger said:
I think the fans actually want to see that stuff instead of trying to be the bigger man. I don't know anyone that wouldn't like something because others don't. I don't like tennis and golf but apparently it gets more ratings than the MLB and NBA.

I, obviously, love hockey, but to deny that hockey fans want hockey to be one of the "big four" sports is to sheild your eyes from the obvious. Go back through the archives and see how many people complained about the NHL signing with OLN...because the NHL "deserves" a major network deal. Sorry, but if you have been paying attention you would know this. It's not about not liking something because others don't. Do true NHL fans want to see the draft? Many do. Does that mean it's as big or will ever be as big as the NBA and NFL drafts? No, for the three reasons I originally mentioned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad