A way that Bettman and the league could sell me on a cap

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

Not that Bettman cares what I think.
But about the only way I could support a salary cap is if Gary Bettman and the NHL pledged to bring NHL hockey back to Winnipeg and Quebec City.
I lost all respect for Bettman in era of the glowing puck and when Winnipeg and Quebec moved to Colorado and Phoenix.
Since then I've believed that he's nothing more than a Madison Ave suit who was trying to Americanize a game that Americans cared little about.
We've watched several expansion teams struggle in markets that clearly aren't working.
We've seen relocations that bordered on bizarre: Carolina? Are you kidding me? Phoenix? Hockey in a desert?

If Bettman would take the podium and promise that he will do everything he can to bring teams back to Canada, then I'd begrudgingly accept that maybe he's slightly concerned with the good of the game.
I'd also like to see him stand up and say that the NHL is going to make hockey work in Pittsburg and Buffalo, two American cities that have proved they can thrive as hockey markets.

But if he's just doing this to increase the franchise values of Carolina and Nashville, so these guys can sell their teams and at least get back what they paid in expansion fees, then screw him.

A Good Flying Bird*

iagreewithidiots said:
How can I sell you on spelling Pittsburgh properly?

Thank you for your thought provoking response and Merry Christmas,
Sincerely,
NewsGuyOne

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
NHL hockey left Quebec and Winnipeg because those cities could not support NHL teams as well as Denver and Phoenix, particularly in an uncapped system.
And the last thing the NHL needs is more expansion.

A Good Flying Bird*

handtrick said:
Sometimes a response like that is as much as a post deserves.....

Thank you for your thought provoking response. Merry Christmas,
Sincerely,
NewsGuyOne

A Good Flying Bird*

CarlRacki said:
NHL hockey left Quebec and Winnipeg because those cities could not support NHL teams as well as Denver and Phoenix, particularly in an uncapped system.
And the last thing the NHL needs is more expansion.

True, in part.
Phoenix hasn't proved much yet.
And while Denver has proved very good so far, let's see how they support the team when it struggles for 4 or 5 years. History tells us that things might not be so rosy.

And I'm not talking about expansion.
Heck no.
I'm talking about relocations.
It's clear that Carolina can't last where it is.
I say the former WHA team should move to Winnipeg.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Phoenix makes far more sense than some of the teams in the SE: Nashiville, Carolina, Miami etc.

Phoenix just recently passed Philadelphia to become the 5th most populated city in the US.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
John Flyers Fan said:
Phoenix makes far more sense than some of the teams in the SE: Nashiville, Carolina, Miami etc.

Phoenix just recently passed Philadelphia to become the 5th most populated city in the US.

yea, but do Mexicans watch hockey?

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
This thread is extremely difficult to follow when you have 'Newsguyone' on your 'ignore' list.

A Good Flying Bird*

John Flyers Fan said:

Yeah, but even with all the transplants from the north, is Phoenix really a hockey market?
I've heard the franchise has struggled. It couldn't keep JR and Keith Tkachuck around.

I think, if there's a cap, the NHL will have the ability to start encouraging more hockey in hockey markets, rather than in big cities.

A Good Flying Bird*

Smart Alek said:
This thread is extremely difficult to follow when you have 'Newsguyone' on your 'ignore' list.

Thank you for your thought provoking response and Merry Christmas,
Sincerely,
NewsGuyOne

Luv that autoresponse key!

HckyFght*

Newsguyone said:
If Bettman would take the podium and promise that he will do everything he can to bring teams back to Canada, then I'd begrudgingly accept that maybe he's slightly concerned with the good of the game.
You don't need Bettman for this. George Bush's disasterous economic policies will drive the dollar down so far that for once the Canadian dollar may soon be at par, which would save Canadian franchises from the horrible dillema of having to earn Canadian dollars and pay players in American. Perhaps that idiot ( I mean Bush) is actually good for something...sigh...
-HckyFght!

A Good Flying Bird*

HckyFght said:
You don't need Bettman for this. George Bush's disasterous economic policies will drive the dollar down so far that for once the Canadian dollar may soon be at par, which would save Canadian franchises from the horrible dillema of having to earn Canadian dollars and pay players in American. Perhaps that idiot ( I mean Bush) is actually good for something...sigh...
-HckyFght!

ZING!

I've seen some good ones on the boards tonight.

MacDaddy TLC*

HckyFght said:
-HckyFght!
Newsguyone said:
ZING!

I've seen some good ones on the boards tonight.
http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2226080&postcount=74

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Newsguyone said:
Not that Bettman cares what I think.
But about the only way I could support a salary cap is if Gary Bettman and the NHL pledged to bring NHL hockey back to Winnipeg and Quebec City.
I lost all respect for Bettman in era of the glowing puck and when Winnipeg and Quebec moved to Colorado and Phoenix.
Since then I've believed that he's nothing more than a Madison Ave suit who was trying to Americanize a game that Americans cared little about.
We've watched several expansion teams struggle in markets that clearly aren't working.
We've seen relocations that bordered on bizarre: Carolina? Are you kidding me? Phoenix? Hockey in a desert?

I'd also like to see him stand up and say that the NHL is going to make hockey work in Pittsburg and Buffalo, two American cities that have proved they can thrive as hockey markets.

But if he's just doing this to increase the franchise values of Carolina and Nashville, so these guys can sell their teams and at least get back what they paid in expansion fees, then screw him.

If the players are willing to pick up the tab Bettman will open up a franchise on the South Pole.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
John Flyers Fan said:
Miami metro is larger than Phoenix metro, and both have a large transplant population, so I can't figure out why Phoenix is a better market necessarily. :dunno: (Trust me, I am no fan of the city of Miami)

Anyway, I don't agree with anything in the first post, and Merry Christmas to you too, Newsguy (beat you to it).

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
CarlRacki said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's kind of ironic for a poster to start a thread saying they lost respect for Bettman partially because of Winnepeg and Quebec moving when the very system Bettman is trying to install probably would've saved those two teams in the first place.

John Flyers Fan said:
Do you have a link for that stat? Not to sound contentious, but I find it hard to believe that Phoenix is the fifth largest city in the country.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Yeah, but even with all the transplants from the north, is Phoenix really a hockey market?
I've heard the franchise has struggled. It couldn't keep JR and Keith Tkachuck around.

They had a horrendous arean to start with. It was built for basketball, and had thousands of obstructed view seats. With their new building, it should become a much better hockey market.

A Good Flying Bird*

Crosbyfan said:
If the players are willing to pick up the tab Bettman will open up a franchise on the South Pole.

ANd the hits justa keep on coming.

Seriously though, Bettman is a Madison Ave lawyer.
He decided it was important to put hockey in major US markets (for national tv revenue purposes, I'd guess.)

Well, we know it doesn't work now, don't we.

So let's put hockey in hockey markets.
I personally think Columbus, while not a hockey hotbed, was a good move. Ohio does support hockey somewhat. It's college team has had success. They built a beautiful arena AND arena district.
And people are familiar with ice.
Are there more towns like this in the US. Instead of two teams in FLorida and three in California, we should be looking for these markets. Drop Carolina. Move'em. If Nashville can't cut it, move'em.

Indianapolis could be a US city with hockey. Maybe Milwaukee or even Madison.
Winnipeg. Quebec City.

I mean, that's the only thing that excites me about a salary cap. The opportunity to let hockey work in hockey markets.

Forget about trying to appease the national audience. Let the game flourish. And people will watch.

A Good Flying Bird*

Kaiped Krusader said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's kind of ironic for a poster to start a thread saying they lost respect for Bettman partially because of Winnepeg and Quebec moving when the very system Bettman is trying to install probably would've saved those two teams in the first place.

Do you have a link for that stat? Not to sound contentious, but I find it hard to believe that Phoenix is the fifth largest city in the country.

Dude, take a look at when we lost Winnipeg and Quebec.
I don't have the numbers, but I bet Salaries were no more than 60 percent of what they're worth today.
The Winnipeg and Quebec situations were rife with political stress and exacerbated by the falling Canadian dollar.
Quebec was a great franchise. They filled the rinks until about 5 straight years in the dingy basement of the NHL standings.
Then Eric Lindros kicked the franchise in the head.
Then the franchise couldn't line up the support to build an arena that would allow them to compete with other NHL cities in terms of corporate support and luxury box revenues.
Bettman did almost nothing to keep hockey up there.
He didn't hold tough in the CBA for those teams. He didn't get involved like he has at times with Pittsburg and Buffalo.
Why? Because he wanted those teams in AMerican markets to give hockey more exposure in the US? WHy? US tv deal.

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoster/business/nhl_attn.html

Every team, yes even some of the teams in Canada, has bad years attendance wise. For instance, Columbus, Atlanta, Nashville, Tampa Bay, and Florida had a better Attendance record their first five years in the league than Ottawa. The Jets never averaged over 13,750 fans; however in "the desert" the yotes have only had an average attenedance of under 14K twice since moving to Arizona. Carolina had over 15k average over the last couple of seasons which is better than Hartford ever averaged. I do feel sorry for the cities that lost teams in the past; it would suck a major one if the Preds moved; however, to say that the US teams...especially ones from the south does not support hockey is just plain wrong...just look at the attendance figures. No relocation...no contraction. The ones who usually scream contraction are the fans who would OMIT thier favorite team from the possibility of contraction/relocation. Look at the Dallas Stars just for a guideline. It takes a while to build a fan base; winning year in and year out helps speed that process along like it has in Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->