Post-Game Talk: A walk in the park interrupted by Wild zombies. Jets hold on, 5-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
[mod]

the fact is he does stupid s*** like the Pominville hit all the time...

[What about] his cross check to the back of Perry's head in the playoffs too....that essentially never comes up...

Not a bad guy, will always thank him for throwing Kane's track suit out, but his time here should come to an end soon.....

What cross check?

And Perry never missed a shift.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The 4th line has been playing a man short all season, Petan, Copp and the guy that can't play hockey. Thorburn is putrid again this season and that third of a season where he was okay last year is all but a distant memory! Get Raffl back and going in the A and bring him in to replace Thorburn.

I am by no means a Thorburn fan but I think he has been pretty good this year. Something clicked in him halfway through last year and he's been good ever since.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's a psychological phenomenon.
It's comes from players' natural tendencies, then reinforced by coaches.

It's not that players and coaches want to give chances away.

What happens is players end up preventing "risky moves", but what we all are starting to know now is that the trade-offs of the "safe play" is often not worth it.
Safe is death. "Safe" players are often the least safe in the long-run.

What we see looking at microstats is leading teams are more prone to chip-out, dump-in, not drive for the play, collapse in the defensive zone, not forecheck as aggressively, etc.
The trailing team meanwhile actually tends to do the opposite more. There is less worry about the risk, and so they go full steam ahead.

It's a very interesting phenomenon.

I think there is a line there that is yet to be understood. Safe as in passive is bad. However, there is calculated risk that continues to put pressure on the other team without giving them unnecessary or high quality chances.

The best teams know where that line is. You need to know where on the ice makes sense to be aggressive and when you have the support to do so.

Safe isn't death, passive is death.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Yup, dumb play by Buff. Can't take that penalty at that time. However, I LOVED IT!! (minus the penalty).

You're either with us or against us. I have no sympathy for Pominville or any other opponent. I know...sportsmanship yadda yadda. Don't care (it's not how I play, but to each his own). It's a big boys game. Put on your big boy pants.

I remember seeing Hawerchuck, Steen etc. etc. getting crushed by blatant fouls. Someone is the nail, someone is the hammer. Pick your position. It's not my problem...keep crushing them Buff. If he gets suspended, serves him right. But make all opponents leery of playing against the big bad Buffman. /:rant:

Now, when his hits start costing us games or when the recipients require the Injury Reserve list, then I might change my stance. Until then.....Game On!! :popcorn:

Yea, like when he does that when there is only 2 minutes left in the game & we`re hanging on to a slim 1 goal lead. Or when we`re down by one and he takes a silly run at a guy with less than 3 minutes left. Thats where you`ll draw the line right:sarcasm:

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
I'll draw the line when his actions 'actually' cost us the game/2 points.

Don't get me wrong, his behavior pisses me off too. But he's on my team. I'd be more upset if he was on another team, crushing our players.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
I am by no means a Thorburn fan but I think he has been pretty good this year. Something clicked in him halfway through last year and he's been good ever since.

Agreed. He didn't have a great game against the Wild, but he has had a good start to the season so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad