OT: A Visitors Guide To Tampa: All Questions Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Think we'll be staying in Treasure Island by St. Petersburg... mapquest says it's a half hour drive to arena from hotel.

Plan for longer since traffic before games going into Tampa over the bridges can be pretty heavy at times.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Thanks for your help, going to look at somewhere closer to the bridge that brings you into Tampa.

That bridge sounds insane btw, 4 miles over water?!

That's why you make sure to give yourself plenty of time. It's a pretty drive over the bay, but it can get really backed up. No exits if traffic is heavy or if there's a fender bender.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
Tampa really needs to make a world class beach, for tourism reasons. St. Petersburg/Clearwater is too far away. Dredging up sand for the beach while at the same time deepening the water is easy. Finding a location with enough parking space, not a problem. We can build land via dredging. The bay itself is the location. I wouldn't mind a full water park with water slides and stuff.

Fredi28

Nov 14, 2007
Medford, MA
Hey all - I am coming down to Tampa with my brother and a few friends from Boston for the B's-Lightning game on February 21st. We are pretty excited to support the boys for a road game, and even more excited to check out Tampa and get out of the cold for a few days.

Had a few questions. As far as hotels go, we are looking right now at staying at the Howard Johnson right by the airport. Can anyone give me any sort of a review of that hotel? And if it's not our best option, maybe some other suggestions? Obviously we dont want to break the bank too much on a hotel. I should mention that my brother lives in Pensacola and is driving to meet us in Tampa, so we will have access to a car if that helps our cause.

Also, what are our best options for pre-game in terms of decent enough food, beers and a solid atmosphere? Coming from Boston, the Garden is right in downtown Boston and there are plenty of solid bar/restaurant options for pre-game. Is this similar for the Times Forum?

And lastly, since this will be our first time in Tampa, we are hoping to try and check out the night life a little bit after the game. Anyone have any recomendations for solid post-game spots for a group of guys in their mid-20's? We are by no means looking for really clubby type places, but just some bars that will have decent music and a good crowd.

All of your help is very much appreciated!

warlord6

Jan 13, 2010
FLA
Hey all - I am coming down to Tampa with my brother and a few friends from Boston for the B's-Lightning game on February 21st. We are pretty excited to support the boys for a road game, and even more excited to check out Tampa and get out of the cold for a few days.

Had a few questions. As far as hotels go, we are looking right now at staying at the Howard Johnson right by the airport. Can anyone give me any sort of a review of that hotel? And if it's not our best option, maybe some other suggestions? Obviously we dont want to break the bank too much on a hotel. I should mention that my brother lives in Pensacola and is driving to meet us in Tampa, so we will have access to a car if that helps our cause.

Also, what are our best options for pre-game in terms of decent enough food, beers and a solid atmosphere? Coming from Boston, the Garden is right in downtown Boston and there are plenty of solid bar/restaurant options for pre-game. Is this similar for the Times Forum?

And lastly, since this will be our first time in Tampa, we are hoping to try and check out the night life a little bit after the game. Anyone have any recomendations for solid post-game spots for a group of guys in their mid-20's? We are by no means looking for really clubby type places, but just some bars that will have decent music and a good crowd.

All of your help is very much appreciated!

These are my opinions.

That hotel is ok, but traffic between the airport and Channelside can be a bit challenging. As far as restaurants go, the area around the arena is in kind of an odd state right now (I think it's still lagging from the disaster of the previous owners and has not come back online yet). You can do Hooters (walking distance to Arena) and there are a few other places back there. Hattricks (very hockey friendly) is also walking distance as well, its a few blocks away from the TBFT.

Hattricks
http://www.sportsbartampa.com/

Keep in mind that we have a pretty good variety of venues inside the arena. You may want to hit the Bud Light Party Deck (also excellent for a post-game spot). There will also be all kinds of stuff going on the plaza.

As far as night life goes, well...i'd stack TB's night life up against any other cities. Depending on what you are looking for, you will find it. You can hit several clubs/bars/scenes depending on your style. PM me for further details on this if you like. Personally my new spot is the Bay Street restaurants at International Plaza. I go to Bar Louie and The Pub.

International Mall and Bay Street venues
http://www.shopinternationalplaza.com/dining_entertainment

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
And the Forum is a trolley ride or long walk from Ybor City for your partying needs. It won't disappoint. If you go down Kennedy Blvd and turn south, you'll be in SoHo which is more upscale but a lot of fun.

Fredi28

Nov 14, 2007
Medford, MA
These are my opinions.

That hotel is ok, but traffic between the airport and Channelside can be a bit challenging. As far as restaurants go, the area around the arena is in kind of an odd state right now (I think it's still lagging from the disaster of the previous owners and has not come back online yet). You can do Hooters (walking distance to Arena) and there are a few other places back there. Hattricks (very hockey friendly) is also walking distance as well, its a few blocks away from the TBFT.

Hattricks
http://www.sportsbartampa.com/

Keep in mind that we have a pretty good variety of venues inside the arena. You may want to hit the Bud Light Party Deck (also excellent for a post-game spot). There will also be all kinds of stuff going on the plaza.

As far as night life goes, well...i'd stack TB's night life up against any other cities. Depending on what you are looking for, you will find it. You can hit several clubs/bars/scenes depending on your style. PM me for further details on this if you like. Personally my new spot is the Bay Street restaurants at International Plaza. I go to Bar Louie and The Pub.

International Mall and Bay Street venues
http://www.shopinternationalplaza.com/dining_entertainment

Thank you so much for all of this amazing information! We ended up booking rooms at the HOJO, got them for $59 a nice on Hotels.com so we really couldn't beat it. We are only actually in Tampa that one night anyways and then heading to Ft. Lauderdale for the weekend and to see the Bruins-Panthers. Hattricks looks great too BTW. Im sure we'll go there for a quick happy hour before heading over to the arena. Thanks again for everything. I can not wait to get down to Tampa!

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Quick review of my recent Tampa experience...

Came down for the TB/OTT game this past Friday. Stayed at the Crowne Plaza on W Kennedy Blvd, booked it for $109 on Priceline.com. There were cheaper options but I was with the lady friend and wanted to stay somewhere decent. Was very satisfied with the hotel, would recommend it for sure. Clean, easy access, took less than 30 mins to get to the arena on a Friday night. Traffic wasn't too bad. A little congestion over the bridges but nothing crazy.

Arena was beautiful. First time there, so obviously not sure what was renovated and what wasn't. But I was very impressed. The new jumbo tron is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely enhances the viewing experience. Sat in 315, 3rd row. Seats were excellent, paid $43 a ticket. Great view. Absolutely can not beat it for that price. If only tickets at MSG were so cheap ;)

Perhaps the thing I came away most impressed by was the atmosphere. Fans were into it the entire game. They were really passionate about hockey. Warm weather, southern US hockey cities often get a bad rap (mostly fueled by Canadians) but you could tell there's a definite hardcore fan base in Tampa. Could definitely feel the appreciation the fans had for Vinny Lecavalier during the pre-game ceremony celebrating his 1,000th game. Being a huge Lecavalier fan, that was an awesome treat to be on hand for that. Not to mention it was a great game. Lots of action. 10 goals. Couldn't have asked for more.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Coming to the area on 3/14 for business, noticed Bolts are playing the Isles that night.

Would I be able to walk up game day and purchase a single ticket, or should I purchase in advance? Know there are a ton of transplanted New Yorkers so thought I better check here first.

Thanks for the help.

TBLbrian

Mar 5, 2008
NC
FINALLY making the trip to Tampa. As a bunch of you know I've been on here forever, and a fan for even longer. As my college graduation present to myself I am planning a 4 day trip to TB for my spring break to catch 2 games.

I am thinking 3/14- 3/17. The issues I am having are some I really need help with. Looking at hotels everything I am finding is around $200 a night and that is a good amount above my budget. Does anyone have any more reasonably priced hotel options in a good location to the arena?

BeachBolt

Jun 2, 2010
Tampa
Coming to the area on 3/14 for business, noticed Bolts are playing the Isles that night.

Would I be able to walk up game day and purchase a single ticket, or should I purchase in advance? Know there are a ton of transplanted New Yorkers so thought I better check here first.

Thanks for the help.

We've sold out every home game so far...

Check stubhub. You can get them for pretty cheap on there.

BeachBolt

Jun 2, 2010
Tampa
FINALLY making the trip to Tampa. As a bunch of you know I've been on here forever, and a fan for even longer. As my college graduation present to myself I am planning a 4 day trip to TB for my spring break to catch 2 games.

I am thinking 3/14- 3/17. The issues I am having are some I really need help with. Looking at hotels everything I am finding is around $200 a night and that is a good amount above my budget. Does anyone have any more reasonably priced hotel options in a good location to the arena?

By good location to the arena, do you mean walking distance or a short drive?

BeachBolt

Jun 2, 2010
Tampa
short drive is fine.

Ok.

In that case, you can try something in the Westshore/Airport/Stadium area of Tampa. It's right by the Airport, both International Plaza and Westshore malls, the causeway if you want to head over to the beaches, and the interstate for going to the games. That area is probably a 10 minute drive or so from the arena...maybe a little longer with game day traffic.

There are some nicer places in that area, but also places like Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc. in that area that shouldn't have ridiculous rates. The problem is that many will be either full/jacking up their prices for Spring Breakers.

Bolts4Life91

Feb 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Me and my family are going to Tampa from March 13th to the 21st for a cruise and during that span ill be at the game on the 14th vs the Isles. Ordered the tickets last night and got 3 in the 100 level, pretty excited as it'll be the 3rd time ive seen them live but only my first home game experience. I've been to Tampa once before during the summer of 2009 for a brief stop because we went on a cruise in Miami and then afterwards drove to Orlando, so we stopped in Tampa on the way. Obviously no games during the summer so couldn't check one out but nevertheless im excited for this one.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

Thanks for the help.

You will need to get a ticket in advance. I'm a diehard Isles fan-and have lived in Tampa since 2000. You wont see many other Isles fans (if the Rangers were here-you'd see tons of them). But Tampa's attendance is VERY strong. Get it i+n advance-even if its a single ticket.

daze

Feb 23, 2013
Florida
Me and my family are going to Tampa from March 13th to the 21st for a cruise and during that span ill be at the game on the 14th vs the Isles. Ordered the tickets last night and got 3 in the 100 level, pretty excited as it'll be the 3rd time ive seen them live but only my first home game experience. I've been to Tampa once before during the summer of 2009 for a brief stop because we went on a cruise in Miami and then afterwards drove to Orlando, so we stopped in Tampa on the way. Obviously no games during the summer so couldn't check one out but nevertheless im excited for this one.

That's awesome, man. Have fun. They'll beat the Isles for ya

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
You will need to get a ticket in advance. I'm a diehard Isles fan-and have lived in Tampa since 2000. You wont see many other Isles fans (if the Rangers were here-you'd see tons of them). But Tampa's attendance is VERY strong. Get it i+n advance-even if its a single ticket.

Thanks a ton for the info.

Can't wait to see Stamkos v. Tavares.

Carbooja

Uncle Salaami
Jun 2, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
Good places to watch the Bolts games

Hi Guys,

Jets fan here, I come in peace.

We'll be coming down to Tampa on the weekend of the 22nd of March (to catch the Blue Jays) and the Bolts are playing the Jets in Winnipeg.

I'd love to catch the game with some fans, and was wondering what would be a decent place to catch the game?

We'll be staying by West Harbor.

Cheers!

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Hi Guys,

Jets fan here, I come in peace.

We'll be coming down to Tampa on the weekend of the 22nd of March (to catch the Blue Jays) and the Bolts are playing the Jets in Winnipeg.

I'd love to catch the game with some fans, and was wondering what would be a decent place to catch the game?

We'll be staying by West Harbor.

Cheers!

West... Harbor... you mean the Westin Harbor Island? Give us an idea of the exact hotel you'll be at and we'll get you pointed in the right direction.

miked998

Mar 13, 2013
Nightlife after game on a Saturday

It has been awhile since I have been to a hockey game and it looks like the two places that I have gone after the game have went out of business... The Luxury Box and Stumps Supper Club.

Is there anything where the Luxury box used to be? I am looking for a place that is close to the arena (not ybor) that will have some type of live music.

What do they have on the Bud Light Party Deck after the game?

I will be at the game this Saturday (3/16).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad