OT: A Visitors Guide To Tampa: All Questions Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Thank you.
Be warned: The summers are really freaking hot. You don’t get used to it either. A much different heat than the rest of the country because of the humidity. Doing stuff outside during the day is pretty taxing until you hit the winter months. I’ve also never lived up north but I could imagine not getting to see the seasons change would suck.

Home prices in Tampa, specifically in or near downtown, are getting to be outrageous. Not sure where the job is but if you can deal with a little commute, an hour drive can save you 100k on a similar house closer to downtown.

But there is great fishing, beaches, golf, pro sports, awesome restaurants, theme parks, etc. so I stick out the heat for the other positives :).

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Be warned: The summers are really freaking hot. You don’t get used to it either. A much different heat than the rest of the country because of the humidity. Doing stuff outside during the day is pretty taxing until you hit the winter months. I’ve also never lived up north but I could imagine not getting to see the seasons change would suck.

Home prices in Tampa, specifically in or near downtown, are getting to be outrageous. Not sure where the job is but if you can deal with a little commute, an hour drive can save you 100k on a similar house closer to downtown.

But there is great fishing, beaches, golf, pro sports, awesome restaurants, theme parks, etc. so I stick out the heat for the other positives :).

I honestly think Raleigh, NC might be hotter in the summers due to no gulf breeze and it's also very humid. Like you need to mow the lawn at 8 AM or not at all kind of hot. Still running things by the wife. Thanks for the input.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I honestly think Raleigh, NC might be hotter in the summers due to no gulf breeze and it's also very humid. Like you need to mow the lawn at 8 AM or not at all kind of hot. Still running things by the wife. Thanks for the input.

That's one of the best benefits about being in Tampa as opposed to an inland Florida city such as Orlando. The Florida Resident pass for Disney has a blackout over the two months of the summer and no Florida person cares because we don't GO to Disney in the summer if we can help it. :cool:

I would not care to live in Orlando after having lived on the Gulf Coast (first Sarasota, then Tampa) since moving here as a teenager. Here in Tampa, there is very often a nice gulf breeze with things getting a bit cooler after the afternoon thundershowers. Just make sure that your car has air conditioning because down here it's NOT optional. :P

I grew up in a small town just a half hour outside of Chicago and I MUCH prefer the winters down here. :D

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That's one of the best benefits about being in Tampa as opposed to an inland Florida city such as Orlando. The Florida Resident pass for Disney has a blackout over the two months of the summer and no Florida person cares because we don't GO to Disney in the summer if we can help it. :cool:
It's funny you mentioned that because I have the WDW Platinum Annual Pass without any blackout dates, however for me it's worth it since I go to WDW 2x a year for 2 weeks during the months of August and December.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sweet!! Sorry about the weather in August, but I do love December at Disney. :D
I don't mind the weather in August since I always go back each year during that month. Although when I was at the Animal Kingdom this past August for some reason I was sweating a lot more than usual and it was before they opened at 9:00 AM.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would not care to live in Orlando after having lived on the Gulf Coast (first Sarasota, then Tampa) since moving here as a teenager. Here in Tampa, there is very often a nice gulf breeze with things getting a bit cooler after the afternoon thundershowers. Just make sure that your car has air conditioning because down here it's NOT optional. :P
I forgot to mention this. Technically it's not in the State of Florida but the day before I arrive in Orlando I stay the night in Valdosta, Georgia and it's about 15 minutes from the Florida State line along I-75. In my opinion the heat there is a lot worse than Orlando.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I forgot to mention this. Technically it's not in the State of Florida but the day before I arrive in Orlando I stay the night in Valdosta, Georgia and it's about 15 minutes from the Florida State line along I-75. In my opinion the heat there is a lot worse than Orlando.

Yeah, Valdosta is not only inland, but I think the land around that area is either swampy or former swampland. I'll stick with the Gulf Coast and Tampa. :P

What are the opinions on the Amalie Arena tour, considering doing it for my birthday?

Never done the tour, but did do the Locker Room tour they have available during the Family Carnival and that was cool in it's own right. Especially since Yzerman was hanging out in the video room and was happy to sign stuff and pose for pictures. I would LOVE to do the Arena tour. And ride the Zamboni. :cool: Maybe I'll ask for that for my birthday in Dec. lol

Let me know how it goes if you do decide to do it. :DD

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The family is eyeing a move to Florida. Outside Orlando seems to be the first preference, with Tampa ranking second.

What are some thoughts on Lakeland?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Coming from New Hampshire for the CBJ game in January. I apologize if this has been mentioned deeper in the thread but no way can dig through 25 pages.

My wife and I have explored Anna Maria Island, Siesta Key and Matlacha in the last and have decided to try going North this time so we are staying in Crystal River (I wanna see Manatees and perhaps the bike path in Inverness) and driving up to Cedar Key exploring. Very excited!

So two questions

1) We get in early evening on Jan 7 (game is Jan 8). We are likely meeting friends for dinner so they will pick that and we are along for the ride but we do need a place to stay. I thought it would be cool to stay at the same hotel as the CBJ. Anyone know which hotel the team stays at?

2) We have all day Jan 8 (before the game). We will have a rental car. Suggestions on what to do would be great. We are not interested in chains, shopping malls, etc. Love "old school" quaint towns with walking districts and independent stores if that exists. Since we are going North for our relaxation (the day after the game) we are not getting beach time, any nearby beaches we can relax on? Also love walking trails/paths and parks. We enjoy history but am not much into art museums. Would rather be outside anyway since we are coming from NH in January :)

Also...LOVE good homemade ice cream. You know...scoop shops that make their own. Don't waste my time with Hersheys, B&Js, Friendlys, or Blue Bell.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
The family is eyeing a move to Florida. Outside Orlando seems to be the first preference, with Tampa ranking second.

What are some thoughts on Lakeland?

Lakeland is a lovely, rather quiet town that is located almost exactly between Tampa and Orlando. Biggest claim to fame is probably Florida Southern College as it has the largest collection Frank Lloyd Wright designed buildings anywhere. Has many lakes (hence the name) and outdoor activities are popular. It really depends where your job(s) will be. It's a long commute to either Orlando or Tampa and I-4 is not the best interstate to depend on for smooth traffic. :P Climate is more like Orlando in that it doesn't get the same amount of sea breezes as Tampa. Lakeland is definitely smaller and quieter than the other two even though it's a main transportation hub for Publix Supermarkets (THE supermarket of choice in FL) and other industries. If you like a quieter pace, Lakeland would probably be a good choice.

Reactions: Edge

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Coming from New Hampshire for the CBJ game in January. I apologize if this has been mentioned deeper in the thread but no way can dig through 25 pages.

My wife and I have explored Anna Maria Island, Siesta Key and Matlacha in the last and have decided to try going North this time so we are staying in Crystal River (I wanna see Manatees and perhaps the bike path in Inverness) and driving up to Cedar Key exploring. Very excited!

So two questions

1) We get in early evening on Jan 7 (game is Jan 8). We are likely meeting friends for dinner so they will pick that and we are along for the ride but we do need a place to stay. I thought it would be cool to stay at the same hotel as the CBJ. Anyone know which hotel the team stays at?

2) We have all day Jan 8 (before the game). We will have a rental car. Suggestions on what to do would be great. We are not interested in chains, shopping malls, etc. Love "old school" quaint towns with walking districts and independent stores if that exists. Since we are going North for our relaxation (the day after the game) we are not getting beach time, any nearby beaches we can relax on? Also love walking trails/paths and parks. We enjoy history but am not much into art museums. Would rather be outside anyway since we are coming from NH in January :)

Also...LOVE good homemade ice cream. You know...scoop shops that make their own. Don't waste my time with Hersheys, B&Js, Friendlys, or Blue Bell.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Visiting Teams usually stay in the Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina right by Amalie Arena.

If you love old school walking areas with independent stores and home made ice cream that's close to the beach, you NEED to go to St. John's Pass Village and Boardwalk in Madeira Beach. You can spend some time at St. Pete Beach or Clearwater Beach then wander over to St. John's Pass Village. It's a bit touristy in spots, but still has some of the long time funky little independent shops/restaurants/ice cream type places.

There's also the Tampa History Museum right next to Amalie Arena that is a lovely look at early Tampa. It also has a small cafe inside that is a cafe version/branch of a Tampa Ybor City institution, the Colombia Restaurant. Fabulous Cuban/Spanish food that is the best unique "flavor" of Tampa.

Enjoy your time down here!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Lakeland is a lovely, rather quiet town that is located almost exactly between Tampa and Orlando. Biggest claim to fame is probably Florida Southern College as it has the largest collection Frank Lloyd Wright designed buildings anywhere. Has many lakes (hence the name) and outdoor activities are popular. It really depends where your job(s) will be. It's a long commute to either Orlando or Tampa and I-4 is not the best interstate to depend on for smooth traffic. :P Climate is more like Orlando in that it doesn't get the same amount of sea breezes as Tampa. Lakeland is definitely smaller and quieter than the other two even though it's a main transportation hub for Publix Supermarkets (THE supermarket of choice in FL) and other industries. If you like a quieter pace, Lakeland would probably be a good choice.

Appreciate the feedback.

I do a lot of traveling for work.

But if I were to drive from Lakeland to downtown Tampa, or even the airport, what kind of drive time am I looking at?

In the past I’ve commuted about 45 minutes each way into an office every day because of the lifestyle I preferred for my family.

The curiosity of Lakeland was the potential for access to either market, as well ease of access to activities for the family.

But I’m open to all ideas, suggestions, and feedback.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Visiting Teams usually stay in the Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina right by Amalie Arena.

If you love old school walking areas with independent stores and home made ice cream that's close to the beach, you NEED to go to St. John's Pass Village and Boardwalk in Madeira Beach. You can spend some time at St. Pete Beach or Clearwater Beach then wander over to St. John's Pass Village. It's a bit touristy in spots, but still has some of the long time funky little independent shops/restaurants/ice cream type places.

There's also the Tampa History Museum right next to Amalie Arena that is a lovely look at early Tampa. It also has a small cafe inside that is a cafe version/branch of a Tampa Ybor City institution, the Colombia Restaurant. Fabulous Cuban/Spanish food that is the best unique "flavor" of Tampa.

Enjoy your time down here!
Thanks for the info. St Johns looks neat...if not a little touristy. Someone also mentioned Tarpon Springs to me.

Decided against Marriott Waterside...not paying $400+ per night. Hockey players can live it up but we can stay at the Embassy Suites around the corner for half the price and use the $400 we save for some fun someplace else.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hello people. I am flying to Tampa in a few weeks to attend a friend's birthday but we are also going to the Rangers game in Tampa. We bought tickets online and I am really looking forward to it. I have 2 questions though (1 is more of a request).

1. Since we ordered online we only got e-tickets but I collect the actual stubs (printed tickets) of all games I attend. Is there a way I can buy used tickets after the game? Or, is someone here willing to part with his ticket for my collection? :)
2. I am a huge fan of Lias Andersson, attending games of him in Zurich, Klagenfurt, Liberec, Linkoping, Buffalo and Copenhagen, this will be the 7th time and I was hoping to get a photo with him pre-game. What's the best place to wait for the players to arrive at the arena?

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Appreciate the feedback.

I do a lot of traveling for work.

But if I were to drive from Lakeland to downtown Tampa, or even the airport, what kind of drive time am I looking at?

In the past I’ve commuted about 45 minutes each way into an office every day because of the lifestyle I preferred for my family.

The curiosity of Lakeland was the potential for access to either market, as well ease of access to activities for the family.

But I’m open to all ideas, suggestions, and feedback.

Lakeland to downtown Tampa or vice versa can be as quick as 35-45 minutes or an hour+ depending on the traffic on the I-4 corridor. The traffic on I-4 is often BRUTAL during rush hour. The airport is actually on the far west side of Tampa so that would be an additional time spent getting across the city via I-275. Brandon, just to the east of Tampa, but closer than Lakeland is one of the main commuter suburbs. Plant City is more rural and is about half way between Tampa and Lakeland and is also just off of I-4. So there are some options. Personally I like living closer to the coast in a small suburban area to the north west of Tampa because we still get the lovely sea breezes at time when the inland folk are sweltering. :DD

Hello people. I am flying to Tampa in a few weeks to attend a friend's birthday but we are also going to the Rangers game in Tampa. We bought tickets online and I am really looking forward to it. I have 2 questions though (1 is more of a request).

1. Since we ordered online we only got e-tickets but I collect the actual stubs (printed tickets) of all games I attend. Is there a way I can buy used tickets after the game? Or, is someone here willing to part with his ticket for my collection? :)
2. I am a huge fan of Lias Andersson, attending games of him in Zurich, Klagenfurt, Liberec, Linkoping, Buffalo and Copenhagen, this will be the 7th time and I was hoping to get a photo with him pre-game. What's the best place to wait for the players to arrive at the arena?

1. The vast majority of people and all of us STMs only have e-tickets these days. :( However, if you go to the ticket office before the game (it's just to the left of the main stairs that take us into the Arena), you might be able to get them to print your ticket out for you. They do that if people are having problems with their e-ticket.
2. Players have their own lot/access on the East side of Amalie Arena. Just ask any security/Amalie Arena person and they should be able to direct you.
3. Have fun! :DD

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Thanks for the info. St Johns looks neat...if not a little touristy. Someone also mentioned Tarpon Springs to me.

Decided against Marriott Waterside...not paying $400+ per night. Hockey players can live it up but we can stay at the Embassy Suites around the corner for half the price and use the $400 we save for some fun someplace else.

Tarpon Springs is a bit of a drive, but very cool. It's where a huge Greek community of sponge divers settled/worked for generations. Has the highest percent of Greek-Americans in the U.S. so the cultural influence is all over. Makes for a lovely little day trip from the Tampa area. Great food too!

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
So I'm talking the wife into letting me take a trip down to Tampa instead of where we normally go for vacation. Part of the deal includes some hockey games.

We would probably be staying at a nearby beach instead of in Tampa proper, so with that in mind, any recs? Family-friendly area since I have a (will be) 9-10 month old.

Sorry I forgot to add the Florida Aquarium to the list of recs. Not far from Amalie Arena and little ones usually love it. :)

The big day is here. Pumped up.

Whohoo! Enjoy and bring us some luck! I'll be at the CHI game on Friday. :DD

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Do you recommend any place to have drinks/party after the game? :cool:

The Budwiser Biergarten/Party Deck in the upper area of Amalie Arena is pretty cool with a great open air view from pretty much the top of Amalie and you don't need to leave the Arena or fight for a parking spot. :DD

Ferg's is a bar/restaurant right across from Amalie that gets pretty packed after a game. There's also Hattrick's (hockey themed sports bar) a couple of blocks away that is a very popular pre and post game spot (sometimes for players too) and Yeoman's Cask & Ale that is also jumping after the game. These three are within walking distance.

There's other places (off of South Howard Ave in particular or anywhere in Ybor City) that are a little drive from the Arena. The Ybor City historic district can be rather rowdy any evening, but especially a weekend. The streetcar that stops by Amalie Arena goes to Ybor pretty regularly.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Do you recommend any place to have drinks/party after the game? :cool:
You don't want to party after a blowout loss that is coming. Downing a bottle of whiskey to your sorrow in a dark hotel room sounds better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad