OT: A Visitors Guide To Tampa: All Questions Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hopefully it will work either way. Since you have the NHL app, there's probably some way to access your tickets even if you have the Leafs as your favorite team. Will be interesting to find out! Please share with us when you do find out so we can let others know how it works. Thanks! :D
Not that this might mean anything today I remember when I purchased my tickets for the game I saw in December 2007 I went on the USA Ticketmaster website, clicked purchase tickets and got a confirmation to pick them up at the will call. Of course that was before all things like the iPhone really took off with the technology we see today.

I'm also wondering if I happen to purchase 2nd row in the lower bowl do the Lightning still have a lounge with complimentary food and drinks for those with tickets in the first few rows? I remember going to my seats with my Dad and these two women told us with our tickets that were in section 117, row B, we show them and there was this lounge with complimentary food and drinks. Plus it was right by the area where the visiting team comes out, however I know from watching the games on TV the Leafs don't go that way onto the ice.

If I remember to let you all know how it was purchasing the tickets I will, since it's a while until they go on sale.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Not that this might mean anything today I remember when I purchased my tickets for the game I saw in December 2007 I went on the USA Ticketmaster website, clicked purchase tickets and got a confirmation to pick them up at the will call. Of course that was before all things like the iPhone really took off with the technology we see today.

I'm also wondering if I happen to purchase 2nd row in the lower bowl do the Lightning still have a lounge with complimentary food and drinks for those with tickets in the first few rows? I remember going to my seats with my Dad and these two women told us with our tickets that were in section 117, row B, we show them and there was this lounge with complimentary food and drinks. Plus it was right by the area where the visiting team comes out, however I know from watching the games on TV the Leafs don't go that way onto the ice.

If I remember to let you all know how it was purchasing the tickets I will, since it's a while until they go on sale.

Yes, the first two rows of the lower bowl (A & B) are indeed Lounge access seats with complementary (good) food and drinks. And a higher price. :D With the renovation of the arena, if you want to be right behind the visitor bench now, you would now want to get tickets in the 102 Section. The visiting team comes out right in the middle of Section 102. The 103 Section would also be an option as it's the next one over.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, the first two rows of the lower bowl (A & B) are indeed Lounge access seats with complementary (good) food and drinks. And a higher price. :D With the renovation of the arena, if you want to be right behind the visitor bench now, you would now want to get tickets in the 102 Section. The visiting team comes out right in the middle of Section 102. The 103 Section would also be an option as it's the next one over.
Once again thank you very much for that information and I will remember when the tickets go on sale. Even though those tickets would be more expensive, I'm sure they are still cheaper than what a ticket costs in Toronto.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I also went to look at the Firestick Grill website and I saw the option to make online reservations. Just for fun I tried seeing if one was available for 2 people on December 13, 2018 and it could not be done and said I had to call their phone number which will be long distance for me. Can I assume it's because right now it's the offseason that's why it did not work? If I have to call it's not a problem since it's what I did when making the reservation at Medallions. Although if I can make it online it's one less expense I don't need to have if I can avoid it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I was reading some reviews about the Firestick Grill on Trip Advisor and seeing them I'm not going to eat there. Not because of the food, the reason is the price. I read it's $74 a person which is about $100 Canadian when you covert the exchange rate and when it was called Medallions I think the price was $35 a person.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I was reading some reviews about the Firestick Grill on Trip Advisor and seeing them I'm not going to eat there. Not because of the food, the reason is the price. I read it's $74 a person which is about $100 Canadian when you covert the exchange rate and when it was called Medallions I think the price was $35 a person.

Completely understandable. If you do change your mind, once you're in Orlando you can make a reservation via the website. Personally I've never been because of the price too. :) There's some good food inside the arena and some decent places close by as well, especially if you are driving over.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Completely understandable. If you do change your mind, once you're in Orlando you can make a reservation via the website. Personally I've never been because of the price too. :) There's some good food inside the arena and some decent places close by as well, especially if you are driving over.
I was looking at the Amalie Arena website and the Outback Steakhouse concourse sounds very good. They use to have a lot of their restaurants in the Toronto area and one day all of them just closed. So the only time I can go to one is when I'm in the United States.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
November is good because the hurricanes should be over with by then! :laugh:

Might still be relatively hot, like low 80s F or so, later in the month it might start getting to be more winter like low-mid 70s F. We don't get much rain that month typically so should be pretty nice overall.

Schedule is usually released mid June, so give it a couple more weeks!

Schedule released.
I've marked both games - 21 and 23 of Nov (against FLA and CHI respectively). If I want to get a relatively good spot to see the game, how much can it cost me? Best recommended place to buy the tickets? Does anyone over the TB board sell?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Schedule released.
I've marked both games - 21 and 23 of Nov (against FLA and CHI respectively). If I want to get a relatively good spot to see the game, how much can it cost me? Best recommended place to buy the tickets? Does anyone over the TB board sell?

I bought the plane tickets. Any help is much appreciated :D

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Last month when tickets went on sale to the general public I was able to get my tickets for the December 13th game against Toronto and got 2 seats in section 108, row K.

Also @TeslaCoilFan if you are wondering after I purchased the tickets from Ticketmaster website I was able to add them to the app wallet of my iPhone via the Ticketmaster app. So there was no option to print them if I wanted to.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Schedule released.

Best deal will probably be through Ticketmaster because they will show both the tickets still open for sale from the Lightning which will be cheaper, as well as the tickets being resold by Season Ticket Members. My upper level seats on the side (Section 330) is a great view and would normally run about $50-60. End seats are always cheaper, of course. Lower bowl is harder to get tickets but runs around $90 -180. The first two rows are over $200 because they come with all-you-can-eat/drink lounge access. Another good reason for buying through Ticketmaster is that it can give you a good idea of the regular price of a ticket in a variety of areas. Blue dots on the Arena map are sold by the Lightning for the base price, red ones are resales by STM. If you're not sure of the view, you can use the Seating Chart viewer below to see what you'd see from any seat. Just ignore the prices on it because they are OOOOOLD. :D

Tampa Bay Lightning Virtual Venue™ by IOMEDIA

Last month when tickets went on sale to the general public I was able to get my tickets for the December 13th game against Toronto and got 2 seats in section 108, row K.

Also @TeslaCoilFan if you are wondering after I purchased the tickets from Ticketmaster website I was able to add them to the app wallet of my iPhone via the Ticketmaster app. So there was no option to print them if I wanted to.

Yeah, I kinda thought that would happen as they are really pushing the Mobile Entry stuff. We STMs don't even get real tickets anymore, just a STM card (used for discounts). :( But at least it worked with your NHL app!!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, I kinda thought that would happen as they are really pushing the Mobile Entry stuff. We STMs don't even get real tickets anymore, just a STM card (used for discounts). :( But at least it worked with your NHL app!!
I actually went on a computer at a Hampton Inn I was staying at in Corbin, Kentucky and purchased the tickets from Ticketmaster.ca and used their app to add the tickets onto the app wallet.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Cool! Yet another reason to recommend people use Ticketmaster to purchase their tickets. Glad it worked for you!
Thank you very much.

One thing I was thinking of doing was possibly taking an Uber from Disney World to the game and obviously one back after it's finished. On the Uber site it said the fare from WDW to the Amalie Arena would be $70, however for some reason it would be $82 going back to WDW. However I rather take our own car since it will be easier and we won't have to worry about where to find the Uber once the game is over.

When I went to the Raptors and Magic NBA game in Orlando in December 2016 we took an Uber, however getting the Uber back to WDW was a struggle to know where they pick us up and a lot of other people had their phones out waiting for one.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Schedule released.
In absolute terms, the box office (walk-up, will call, etc.) is cheaper than ticketmaster.com.

I wanted to go to an event in Orlando a few months ago for a cheap $12 ticket, plus the taxes and facility fee they were $14 in person. Getting it online would have cost $25.

It won't be that drastic a markup (percentage wise) for a $100+ ticket, but they definitely charge more for online sales. Also, when calling/e-mailing(?) the box office you help a Lightning front office person keep their job.

Last edited:

HooksandBolts

Sep 14, 2018
Can anyone reccomend a reasonably priced Fishing charter near the clearwater area? I'm coming for a game in dec and really would like to catch a sea monster.

Are you looking for inshore or offshore fishing? Unfortunately the red tide is causing massive fish kills but a good captain can still put you on fish. I have several recommendations depending on what you want to target.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So I'm talking the wife into letting me take a trip down to Tampa instead of where we normally go for vacation. Part of the deal includes some hockey games.

We would probably be staying at a nearby beach instead of in Tampa proper, so with that in mind, any recs? Family-friendly area since I have a (will be) 9-10 month old.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
So I'm talking the wife into letting me take a trip down to Tampa instead of where we normally go for vacation. Part of the deal includes some hockey games.

We would probably be staying at a nearby beach instead of in Tampa proper, so with that in mind, any recs? Family-friendly area since I have a (will be) 9-10 month old.

Whohoo! You'll LOVE Amalie if you haven't been there in a while. Vinik has turned it into a world-class venue.

Most of the Clearwater beach area is very family friendly and has some neat shopping and restaurants. But I'm not as familiar with St. Pete stuff for kidlets as I'm in Tampa. Hopefully some St. Pete people will jump in. :D

If you make your way over to Tampa there is Lowry Park Zoo which is always a big hit with the little ones. Plus the Glazer Children's Museum where they can touch stuff. Busch Gardens would probably be too much for a kid that young but anything's possible.

Just PLEASE slather baby up with the highest SPF sunscreen you can find (there's a few kinds available down here specifically for kids) even if it's overcast. The sun is still way more intense and can burn babies (and adults!) very quickly even in the late fall or winter when it's cool out. :eek:

Reactions: The Macho Man

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I have been offered a position in Tampa. Am seriously considering due to no income tax. Currently living in Raleigh, NC. How big of a difference is this no income tax? I assume things are more expensive in other areas. Property tax, sales tax, etc. Will be making 6 figures if I accept transfer.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
@bluedevil58

https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/raleigh_nc/tampa_fl/costofliving

The above website shows a pretty straightforward comparison between the two cities. If you click the choices at the left of the above webpage, it gives other comparisons such as Climate, Crime, Economy, Housing, etc.

A few select comparisons:
Raleigh is 7.8% more expensive than Tampa.
Raleigh housing costs are 22.3% more than Tampa housing costs.
Health related expenses are 3.7% less in Tampa.

Raleigh has 9.1% more rainy days and 15.5% less Sunny Days than Tampa.
On the BestPlaces comfort index, Tampa scores 31.7% better than Raleigh.

Household income in Raleigh, is 20% more than it is in Tampa and 2% above the National Average.

No state income tax is significant since the rest of the Cost of Living is also lower in Tampa than in Raleigh. Sales Tax is 7%. With a six figure income, you'll be fine anywhere so you probably want to look at the more intangible side of things such as what kind of things you like to do outside of work. Tampa has plenty of culture (Florida Orchestra, Performing Arts Centre that brings in major Broadway shows, several museums, aquarium, zoo, etc.) and a moderately vibrant night life (Ybor, SoHo) if that's more your thing. Bad NFL team, occasionally decent MLB team and one of the best NHL teams. ;) Close to beaches and outdoor sports. Won't have the 4 seasons of NC, but will have a very nice mild winter.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
@bluedevil58

https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/raleigh_nc/tampa_fl/costofliving

The above website shows a pretty straightforward comparison between the two cities. If you click the choices at the left of the above webpage, it gives other comparisons such as Climate, Crime, Economy, Housing, etc.

A few select comparisons:
Raleigh is 7.8% more expensive than Tampa.
Raleigh housing costs are 22.3% more than Tampa housing costs.
Health related expenses are 3.7% less in Tampa.

Raleigh has 9.1% more rainy days and 15.5% less Sunny Days than Tampa.
On the BestPlaces comfort index, Tampa scores 31.7% better than Raleigh.

Household income in Raleigh, is 20% more than it is in Tampa and 2% above the National Average.

No state income tax is significant since the rest of the Cost of Living is also lower in Tampa than in Raleigh. Sales Tax is 7%. With a six figure income, you'll be fine anywhere so you probably want to look at the more intangible side of things such as what kind of things you like to do outside of work. Tampa has plenty of culture (Florida Orchestra, Performing Arts Centre that brings in major Broadway shows, several museums, aquarium, zoo, etc.) and a moderately vibrant night life (Ybor, SoHo) if that's more your thing. Bad NFL team, occasionally decent MLB team and one of the best NHL teams. ;) Close to beaches and outdoor sports. Won't have the 4 seasons of NC, but will have a very nice mild winter.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad