OT: A Visitors Guide To Tampa: All Questions Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Hey all,

I'm travelling to Florida in March and hoping to do some NASCAR shopping. I'm going to Orlando but I figured some Tampa guys might know some good stores. Any good outlet stores for NASCAR fans? I collect 1/24 diecast cars and whatnot and hoping to find some for relatively cheap. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
Hi, my family and I are off to Walt Disney World for a week and a half in late March and four of us are going to the Oilers game in Tampa on March 22. We just bought our tix online and got 7th row centre ice for $80 per ticket.

Orlando appears to be only an hour and a half drive from Tampa; I looked on a map and that's the impression I got.

Me and my stepsister have been to many hockey games in other cities over the years, Sharks fans have treated us the best, Leafs fans were the worst. We've also been to Washington, St. Louis, New Jersey and MSG.

It's about an hour and a half to Tampa although you might try to arrive in Tampa before 5 as rush hour hits. We have no problem with out of town guests and treat everyone with respect and you can freely cheer for your team as long as you don't go overboard. Canadian flags however are prohibited because it kinda looks stupid to bring one to an NHL game as opposed to the Olympics...IMO.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
Hey all,

I'm travelling to Florida in March and hoping to do some NASCAR shopping. I'm going to Orlando but I figured some Tampa guys might know some good stores. Any good outlet stores for NASCAR fans? I collect 1/24 diecast cars and whatnot and hoping to find some for relatively cheap. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

There's a place called the Nascar Sports Grille that also has a retail store but I don't know what they have. If you have a day to spend you're closer to Daytona so that might be a good option.

Best of Luck!
Sincerely,
Billy Ray Bob ;)

tbaz

Nov 20, 2011
any tailgating or pre game festivities take place anywhere, going solo and want something to do. Feb 16

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
There's a place called the Nascar Sports Grille that also has a retail store but I don't know what they have. If you have a day to spend you're closer to Daytona so that might be a good option.

Best of Luck!
Sincerely,
Billy Ray Bob ;)

Thanks. I did actually check that one out before, not a great selection, though but they do have a few things.

Anyone know of any other stores? Doesnt have to be outlet, any stores in general around Orlando?

Is the store on 8000 international drive still open does anyone know?

Sunshine36616

Displaced Thrasher fan here coming in for a game next Saturday. I can't wait! I miss the smell and sound of fresh ice so much. I've been up to Nashville a few times and consider that the closest thing to a home team.

I'm excited to finally be able to cheer for St. Louis, Stamkos and Lecavalier. I've loved Malone for a few years now. I'm excited to take in a new barn as well.

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca
Hi, I'm driving in for the game on Saturday, and I was wondering if it's possible to get autographs before or after the game from the players.

Here is the info I've found...

Where to go: On the east side of the arena, there is a walk-through from the arena to the parking garage. There is a security guard and partition here. Some players from both teams may walk through here. The players park on the north side of the arena. Some players will sign here as they drive out. There is also a bar across the street from the Ice Palace called Newk's that several players go to after the game.

For visiting teams, wait along the sidewalk on the south side of the arena. Most players will walk over from the Marriott and you can get them before they enter the Ice Palace employee entrance.

Not a ton else on the web for Tampa, may be outdated.

I'm still looking for 4 tickets from a lower bowl SSH for the game against the leafs, if anyone has some, message me!

Tokala

Aug 9, 2005
Where to go: On the east side of the arena, there is a walk-through from the arena to the parking garage. There is a security guard and partition here. Some players from both teams may walk through here. The players park on the north side of the arena. Some players will sign here as they drive out. There is also a bar across the street from the Ice Palace called Newk's that several players go to after the game.

For visiting teams, wait along the sidewalk on the south side of the arena. Most players will walk over from the Marriott and you can get them before they enter the Ice Palace employee entrance.

That's got some bad info....

The Lightning players park in a parking lot on the east side of the Forum. It's walled-in and has staff at the entrance to keep people from wandering in to the players parking lot. Some will stop after the game and sign stuff. That depends on the game and their mood.

Newk's has been closed for years. Sometimes players and officials congregate at Hattricks after the game.

Visiting teams seem to stay in the Embassy Suites, Marriott or Westin on Harbour Island. Sometimes players walk to the Forum and enter through a door on the south side along the channel. Sometimes the team bus picks the team up and pulls into the player's parking lot on the east side.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
I'd say more of the younger players hang out in Soho after the games. You can always find them down there rolling 5-6 girls deep.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Hope to see the Jets play in Tampa at the end of March, could someone recommend a good (reputable) ticket buying site ( I hate stub hub). Also a good place to stay walking distance from the Forum. Thanks

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca
Hope to see the Jets play in Tampa at the end of March, could someone recommend a good (reputable) ticket buying site ( I hate stub hub). Also a good place to stay walking distance from the Forum. Thanks

Craigslist is your best bet by far (if you can't find anything on here) - I got tickets for about half of face value on craigslist directly from Season Ticket holders. You shouldn't be paying more then face at all.

If I were you I'd check out betterbidding.com and bidding in that zone for Priceline - that will be your best $$$ option

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State

Check out: http://hotelguides.com/florida/st-pete-times-forum-fl-hotels.html

The Marriott would be my choice but could be pricey. Honestly, I probably wouldn't venture too far away from the Forum at night though daytime is fine. I'm sure the Tampa Tourism people would really want me to tell you that. It's not considered a bad part of Tampa, but be careful.

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca
Holy crap - I don't know if you guys think this is cool, but I've been searching for about 4 weeks for a decently priced hotel room on the beach (under $150, semi-nice) for next week's Leafs/Lightning game... ended up finding what I think is a hidden gem!

Staying on a 36" yacht docked at the marriot in St. Petes! Turns out the company that runs tours during the day (sailingflorida.com) has accommodations at night, and they are bloody cheap! I'm more looking at it from the "interesting" & adventure aspect, but you get the whole boat for $75 per night - which can sleep 4 (but we're going to do 2 in each boat for more room).

I'll be posting a blog out about it with a bunch of pictures when we go, but if anyone is looking in the mean time and want something bloody cheap that sounds pretty cool, check it out!

JGraz15

Mar 6, 2012
Visiting Tampa next week...do the Bolts have pratices that are open to the public? If so, where?

Also, any recommendations for must eat restaurants I could take a toddler to?

Thanks!

Doctor Drej

Unregistered User
Jan 10, 2009
The Quiet Room
Practices are usually open to the public, especially if there at Brandon because it's a public rink. It varies where they do practice though, sometimes at the Forum itself and other times in Brandon. Check with EE (@erlendssontrib) or someone else on Twitter related to the team to find out where when you decide to go.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
I know I'm being picky here but this annoys the hell out of me...please refrain from calling it St. Petes. Nobody but tourists add the "s"....it's always been and always will be St. Pete. Gracias!

En francais:
Le nom correct est St. Pete, pas St. Petes - merci!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca
I know I'm being picky here but this annoys the hell out of me...please refrain from calling it St. Petes. Nobody but tourists add the "s"....it's always been and always will be St. Pete. Gracias!

En francais:
Le nom correct est St. Pete, pas St. Petes - merci!

Haha, noted. And while we're at it, I'm not from tahrana haha

The Hulk

Dec 22, 2010
Any good restaurants within walking distance of the forum? Going to the game tomorrow and want some suggestions

Tokala

Aug 9, 2005
Any good restaurants within walking distance of the forum? Going to the game tomorrow and want some suggestions

You need to define "good". Hattricks is the best sports/hockey bar and is just a few blocks north and west of the Forum. There's always Hooters in Channelside if you consider that 'good'.

The Hulk

Dec 22, 2010
You need to define "good". Hattricks is the best sports/hockey bar and is just a few blocks north and west of the Forum. There's always Hooters in Channelside if you consider that 'good'.

Actually were thinking more of a family restaurant

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Actually were thinking more of a family restaurant

There's basically nothing like that around the forum. Maybe look into some places in Ybor which is a trolley ride away. They have a Johnny Rockets burger/diner place, a greek restaurant that's good, and some other little places that have Cuban food, pizza, etc.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
I can't edit but there's also the Spaghetti Warehouse that's perfect for families. Just beware it's near the Scientology nuts.

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca
Guys, HOLY CRAP is Tampa a wicked hockey experience. Like I couldn't even comprehend it. I'll post my blog post on it shortly, but it is by far the best we've been to so far. Every single person (staff, fan, etc) was amazing, the rink is superb, and the stuff around it was sick. Wait to you see pics of the $75 night in a sailboat. It was unreal.

You should be very proud of the atmosphere created down there - I know it's for a leafs game so there is a ton of away fans, and my experience was more $$$ then most, but it was mind boggling how much better it was then the 8 others we've been to this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->