A Valid Ovechkin Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
EroCaps said:
At the time, he was a kid who liked the Sharks for their jerseys, and Owen Nolan was probably the best model available. They do have similar games though.

Let's be thankful he didn't model his game after a long in the tooth Kelly Kisio.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Rabid Ranger said:
That's great. I just don't think he's the hockey world's version of the emperor or whoever that was from GI-Joe who was a composite of all the great military leaders from history.

SERPENTOR~!

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Rabid Ranger said:
That's great. I just don't think he's the hockey world's version of the emperor or whoever that was from GI-Joe who was a composite of all the great military leaders from history.

:lol

Just a Guy

May 20, 2004
I've only seen clips of his play so it's hard to judge what type of plaer he'll be, but he is no where even close to Mario talent.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Epsilon said:
SERPENTOR~!

Omigod I hated him. He treated Cobra Commander like a punk...but he got what was coming to him in the end.

*Knowing is half the battle*

leafaholix*

Modano = Dud said:
No, Ovechkin used to be a huge fan of San Jose, because of Owen Nolan. I've never heard him saying that he models himself after him.
I've heard him say that he likes San Jose because of Owen Nolan.

He tries to play a similar style as Owen Nolan.

But Ovechkin has much more offensive talent.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I cant handle some of these comparisons this guy is getting. They are just way to over the top. Better then Iginla in every way except slap shot give me a break.

capman29

Rabid Ranger said:
No, I got the sarcasm. I was agreeing with him. I was making my statement in response to the post he was responding to if that makes sense.

And whom did you compare mario to before he played one game in the NHL ? Was he over rated and over hyped like you seem to say Ovechkin is ? You tat do not have a chance to draft him hide your sorrow by bashing him and saying he is not proven . Glad because that shows either you no nothing about hockey or you are plain jealous. So which is it?

kovalchuk17atl

Apr 22, 2004
capman29 said:
Was he over rated and over hyped like you seem to say Ovechkin is ?

He doesn't say that. Nowhere in his post does it say anything even related to that. He's saying that he's not an Iginla-level player right now, which he isn't, so it's not over hyping or overrating.

bert said:
I cant handle some of these comparisons this guy is getting. They are just way to over the top. Better then Iginla in every way except slap shot give me a break.

If you actually READ all the replies, you'd actually see that many or all of the comparisons are of a YOUNG version of a player or he has the potential to be that good.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
capman29 said:
And whom did you compare mario to before he played one game in the NHL ? Was he over rated and over hyped like you seem to say Ovechkin is ? You tat do not have a chance to draft him hide your sorrow by bashing him and saying he is not proven . Glad because that shows either you no nothing about hockey or you are plain jealous. So which is it?

Where did I bash him? I said his style compares favorably to another great player: Ilya Kovalchuk. I think it's ridiculous though, to say a prospect, regardless of how highly touted he is, is already better than an established NHL star, or superstar, depending on how you define Iginla. If Ovechkin becomes half the player Iginla is Washington should thank it's lucky stars. I guess someone with your reading comprehension deficiencies can't grasp that concept, so...............

Last edited:

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Kovalchuk doesn't play defense very well, but he doesn't ignore it completely and he doesn't cherry pick (at least from what I've seen). Besides, they always say that defense can be taught, but what Kovalchuk has can't be. Ovechkin might have comparable talent, but it remains to be seen whether he can play well in the NHL.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
What's the harm in trying to project what he could look like in 2-3 years time?

That is what one of the main purpose of 'scouting' prospects is.

Maybe I'm in the wrong place... but no one is saying he's as good as these players now, just what he could end up being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->