Proposal: A Trade After the Deadline

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Quick question:

Would you trade for Jonathan Drouin right now to add him ONLY to the AHL Providence Bruins for their playoff push and get him under your roof?

He cannot join the Bruins in the playoffs at all but this is the one situation where I see a situation like this unfolding for Tampa Bay.

Thoughts?

The same would go for them and Khokhlachev.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Quick question:

Would you trade for Jonathan Drouin right now to add him ONLY to the AHL Providence Bruins for their playoff push and get him under your roof?

He cannot join the Bruins in the playoffs at all but this is the one situation where I see a situation like this unfolding for Tampa Bay.

Thoughts?

Allan Walsh being his agent makes him not worth the headache. Especially with Claude as the coach he's not going to get fast tracked into the top 6. Let Drouin pout at home and find a better agent to give him real advice

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Allan Walsh being his agent makes him not worth the headache. Especially with Claude as the coach he's not going to get fast tracked into the top 6. Let Drouin pout at home and find a better agent to give him real advice

Now what do you think about Khokhlachev? Same?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Now what do you think about Khokhlachev? Same?

Khoko is at least still playing in the AHL and not sitting at home because he's not in the NHL. I actually expected him to be moved at the deadline with how Center is looking at the NHL level.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
After not trading Khokhlachev, (as I expected the Bruins to), I'd rather hang onto him for the AHL playoffs - not for the sake of developing Khokhlachev because I think it's obvious he's going elsewhere next year - but rather for the rest of the players in Providence that could use the extra development / playoff experience. Khokhlachev makes them a better team this year.

Funny how I'm the complete opposite with the Eriksson situation / generally displeased that he wasn't traded.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Khoko is at least still playing in the AHL and not sitting at home because he's not in the NHL.

Totally agree, but at this point is he not a very high KHL bound risk?

At least moving Khokhlachev to a team like Vancouver who are DNQ he could get his shot with the Canucks as they finish the season off and perhaps stays in the NHL while the Bruins get an asset. At this point moving him for Jordan Subban would be worth more than seeing him go back to the KHL.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
Totally agree, but at this point is he not a very high KHL bound risk?

At least moving Khokhlachev to a team like Vancouver who are DNQ he could get his shot with the Canucks as they finish the season off and perhaps stays in the NHL while the Bruins get an asset. At this point moving him for Jordan Subban would be worth more than seeing him go back to the KHL.

If I was DS, I would approach Alex this way - listen, here is a 1 year contract, and you have a legitimate chance for making the team out of training camp should you grab the reigns. If it doesn't work out, we'll move you so you can compete for an NHL spot elsewhere.

If I'm Alex, that's really all I could hope for. Give me another shot to prove myself, and if not, move me so I can try elsewhere with a fresh start.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Quick question:

Thoughts?

Depending on cost to acquire I'd go for it. Drouin is a talented kid. Ok possibly some self entitlement issues..? He's still a kid. Hopefully this Bruins front office has learned something from the Seguin debacle. SOME kids, need time to grow up.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I'd do it. I guess trades are not prohibited post deadline, just that the acquired players cannot participate in playoffs.

But I can't see Sterie Y doing this since he'll have a boatload of suitors after the season up to the draft.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
If I was DS, I would approach Alex this way - listen, here is a 1 year contract, and you have a legitimate chance for making the team out of training camp should you grab the reigns. If it doesn't work out, we'll move you so you can compete for an NHL spot elsewhere.

If I'm Alex, that's really all I could hope for. Give me another shot to prove myself, and if not, move me so I can try elsewhere with a fresh start.

Or he takes a HUGE salary increase from any of the many KHL suitors instead of an AHL salary. That is the real concern with not getting assets for NHL ready 3rd line centermen.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I'd do it. I guess trades are not prohibited post deadline, just that the acquired players cannot participate in playoffs.

But I can't see Sterie Y doing this since he'll have a boatload of suitors after the season up to the draft.

It's one of those rare instances where a top end talent not playing with an AHL team can cost the NHL team in his value (which is also dropping each day).

This way, Yzerman teaches him a lesson, doesn't see Drouin this year or in the playoffs and gets assets back well before the draft.

Put it this way: Is it worth more to have Drouin now for the rest of the season to gel with other assets who may be his teammates next year/beyond than getting him at the draft when he has been sitting all year and won't play with anyone until the summer camps?

If I could move Khokhlachev now for assets to the Canucks who could dress him for the rest of the regular season over watching him go back to the KHL for nothing...it's an easy decision.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Boston aint gonna be Drouins landing point

Nope. He'd be Habs property by now if Tampa wasn't looking for an enormous return. And he will go to a Western team if Yzerman has to settle for less than he wants.

People are being foolish if they are saying 'yes' to this and not thinking it would cost the SJ pick.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Nope. He'd be Habs property by now if Tampa wasn't looking for an enormous return. And he will go to a Western team if Yzerman has to settle for less than he wants.

People are being foolish if they are saying 'yes' to this and not thinking it would cost the SJ pick.

Yzerman would want both 1st's and either Pastrnak, Senyshyn or JFK or some prime young prospect.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yzerman would want both 1st's and either Pastrnak, Senyshyn or JFK or some prime young prospect.

For an uber talented kid who, at any moment where things aren`t going his way, would sit out again

Loved Drouin here in Halifax, had a chance as a season tix holder to meet with him on many occasions for various fan/player functions, humble kid, worked his tail off. Get the feeling Walsh is more of the issue than Drouin himself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad