Value of: A top 2D to Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Everyone has a different definition of top 6. I look at it this way - the goal is to win the stanley cup, and so when you look at who is top 6 or not, you ask yourself if he belongs in that position on a cup winning team. That's the bar I set, although that's higher than many look at it. To reach your goal, would you have to upgrade there.

With Andreas Johnsson, I'd say that's pretty borderline. If he's a second line winger on your team, and you're looking to contend, he's not really an issue, but it's not an area of strength either. I think he's a decent player, and upgrading on him wouldn't be a priority, but if an upgrade came along, I'd be happy with it. If he's on your third line, filling in on the second in the event of injury, you've got some really damn good wingers, so that's really the position I'd like him in.

But if you look at top 6 winger as a winger that is among the top 120 wingers, because technically there are 120 top 6 wing spots, he's without a doubt in there, and borderline first line winger.

someone called him a cap dump earlier..... that poster should probably keep quiet. He's an asset for sure, but not one that would garner some massive return, like some Leaf fans like to think.

What teams would he crack the top 6 on?

member 300185

Not sure where you guys think these pieces are just scraps. All 3 are on the squad. There are no iffy projects there. Johnsson is a top 6 forward. Fact. Dermott is a fast, capable D man that is still young and should blossom into a top 4 D man. Gauthier is a 4th line centre and gets points in 25% of his games. And don't forget the pick. The 2nd rounder in 2022. That also has value. I'm not asking for a teams number 1 D man but this package should get at least a D that is 3rd on the depth chart on a team that is heavy on the right side. I swear some of you guys wouldn't know a good trade if it bit you on the ass. And in some cases, a team can have depth and their number 2D can be swapped out with their 3rd D.

Yes, it is a Quantity vs Quality. But those deals are very frequent and not often is there a 1 for 1 swap. Happens, but more of the quantity type. This trade can fill a lot of holes on a team with an extra righty D man.

Johnson- proven NHL'er-25 years old. Top 6 forward.
Dermott-proven NHL'er-23 years old. 3rd pairing D that can move up and is still young and learning. Serious upside.
Freddy Gauthier-25 years old. Up and down 4th line centre. Likely up to stay.
2nd rounder in 2022.

It cost the leafs a lot less to get Muzzin, and its another Muzzin type player for the right side we are looking for. For you actual hockey people out there, you know damn well this is a good package.

Now seriously, who can the Leafs get with this package? A team that can plug many holes and has a spare RHD.

ps. And Johnson is putting up close to Kadri numbers as a winger. As a 25 year old, Kadri put up 45 in 76 games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not sure where you guys think these pieces are just scraps. All 3 are on the squad. There are no iffy projects there. Johnsson is a top 6 forward. Fact. Dermott is a fast, capable D man that is still young and should blossom into a top 4 D man. Gauthier is a 4th line centre and gets points in 25% of his games. And don't forget the pick. The 2nd rounder in 2022. That also has value. I'm not asking for a teams number 1 D man but this package should get at least a D that is 3rd on the depth chart on a team that is heavy on the right side. I swear some of you guys wouldn't know a good trade if it bit you on the ass. And in some cases, a team can have depth and their number 2D can be swapped out with their 3rd D.

Yes, it is a Quantity vs Quality. But those deals are very frequent and not often is there a 1 for 1 swap. Happens, but more of the quantity type. This trade can fill a lot of holes on a team with an extra righty D man.

Dermott-proven NHL'er-23 years old. 3rd pairing D that can move up and is still young and learning. Serious upside.
2nd rounder in 2022.

It cost the leafs a lot less to get Muzzin, and its another Muzzin type player for the right side we are looking for. For you actual hockey people out there, you know damn well this is a good package.

Now seriously, who can the Leafs get with this package? A team that can plug many holes and has a spare RHD.

ps. And Johnson is putting up close to Kadri numbers as a winger. As a 25 year old, Kadri put up 45 in 76 games.

LOL. Bless your little heart...

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Besides Marner/Nylander (neither of which is happening) I'm assuming the Leafs would have to make Robertson or Sandin the key piece in the return ... ++

Bond

May 10, 2012
Says the guy without a hockey thought in his head.

47kklr.jpg

Let's play a different game, who do you think that gets you?

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
You are SHOT if you think packaging up spare parts will get you a 2D. The conversation should immediately start with Nylander because you guys desperately need cap space, not only to sign your ELCs to RFAs, but also to financially accommodate a top pairing defenseman. The returning team will want an impact player, or high draft picks and ELC contracts, which is something that the Leafs will continue to need especially because of their economic situation.

Dubas is a D bag anyway and won’t part ways with any of his 4 high rollers so it’s all a farce.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Muzzin is a top 2 dman?

Yea he is but the poster who used him as an example for cost ignored he was a rental. Pretty sure the Toronto fanbase wouldn't move Dermott, Johnsson and a 2nd for a player that could walk.

Even having said that I wouldn’t even give Adam Larsson with 1 year remaining for the pieces the OP is shopping.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

2nd rounder in 2022.

Put it this way. Would you accept any other teams young fourth line centre, bottom pairing dman and not great winger for Reilly? If the answer is no then you’ll understand why no one is excited about your offer. Never mind if the 2nd. To get a top pairing d man the ask is going to be uncomfortable. Not pieces that are easily replaceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad