A Tommi Santala discussion

LolClarkson*

Tommy Santala 63 2 7 9

Andrew Ebbett 191 25 39 64

How spoiled we have become.

I don't believe those numbers.

And the Sanatala team won a playoff round. The Ebbet team hasn't won a playoff game. Spoiled alright..

It just goes to show that the playoffs are a crapshoot of luck and momentum

LolClarkson*

Nonis missing the playoffs two out of three years got him canned. If Gillis misses it once (this season), there's a good chance he'll get canned (one year out of six).

These first round exits feel awfully close to as bad as missing.

LolClarkson*

****in' Lee Goren.

It's all about Jason King. My friends Dad actually has a King jersey :laugh:

Anyone remember when we waived Nathan McIver and the Ducks grabbed him, and then that same night he scored on an OT breakaway in the preseason :facepalm:

Volpatti

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Steve Pinizzato is.... where

Florida signed him (unlike most of Nonis' plugs), and then he got hurt in September. Got healthy about a week+ ago and went to the AHL.

Also, Ciccone played for the Canucks in the 90s. Not sure where you're going with this one. Must have been another rebuild. They signed Messier because they wanted a centre prospect, right?

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
The trade that brought Ciccone was not a very good one.

Carolina gets:
Kirk McLean
MArtin Gelinas

Vancouver gets:
Sean Burke
Enrico Ciccone
Geoff Sanderson

McLean didn't have much left in the tank but probably would have been better than Burke, and Gelinas played for ten more seasons. Sanderson was quickly flipped for Brad May (and Burke for Snow [ugh.])

Those were not the greatest times to be a Canucks fan.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Carolina gets:
Kirk McLean
MArtin Gelinas

Vancouver gets:
Sean Burke
Enrico Ciccone
Geoff Sanderson

McLean didn't have much left in the tank but probably would have been better than Burke, and Gelinas played for ten more seasons. Sanderson was quickly flipped for Brad May (and Burke for Snow [ugh.])

Snow wasn't that bad for us. He was getting the tough games in a tandem with Potvin. McLean was done, he went downhill not too long after the cup run. Gelinas was the real loss in that trade. He came back to haunt us in the 03-04 first round vs the Flames. Ciccone was a meathead that soon ran afoul of Keenan.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

Carolina gets:
Kirk McLean
MArtin Gelinas

Vancouver gets:
Sean Burke
Enrico Ciccone
Geoff Sanderson

That trade still makes me angry. Gelinas was one of my favourite Canucks and he had enough gas in the tank for several more good seasons... not to mention the fact that while playing for ****ing Calgary, he sunk us in the 03-04 playoffs.

Funny, I remember thinking at the time Keenan came on board that Linden and Gelinas would be two of his favourite guys.

LolClarkson*

Florida signed him (unlike most of Nonis' plugs), and then he got hurt in September. Got healthy about a week+ ago and went to the AHL.

Also, Ciccone played for the Canucks in the 90s. Not sure where you're going with this one. Must have been another rebuild. They signed Messier because they wanted a centre prospect, right?

Nonis never made one high risk roster player trade that resulted in a buyout. Grabner, 1st for buyout.

And the Roy rental cost us a dman that's in the NHL

Harold

Aug 17, 2006
Kelowna
I distinctly remember Nonis hyping Santala as "the best fourth-line center money could buy." Even more embarrassing, during one interview during the summer (could have been the state of the union address), whenever asked about how the team was going to improve the next season, Nonis kept referring to Tommi Santala. How would the team improve on the penalty kill? How would the team improve at center? Tommi Santala.

It was like he was going to be the godsend for the team. Nonis' hyperbole resulted in all of the Santala-style Chuck Norris jokes created by the fans.

I believe he scored 1 goal as a Canuck.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I distinctly remember Nonis hyping Santala as "the best fourth-line center money could buy." Even more embarrassing, during one interview during the summer (could have been the state of the union address), whenever asked about how the team was going to improve the next season, Nonis kept referring to Tommi Santala. How would the team improve on the penalty kill? How would the team improve at center? Tommi Santala.

It was like he was going to be the godsend for the team. Nonis' hyperbole resulted in all of the Santala-style Chuck Norris jokes created by the fans.

I believe he scored 1 goal as a Canuck.

And Dave Gagner was the centrepiece of the Bure trade. Nonis learned from the Master.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Nonis never made one high risk roster player trade that resulted in a buyout. Grabner, 1st for buyout.

And the Roy rental cost us a dman that's in the NHL

The **** does that have to do with Enrico Ciccone? Or Pinizzotto? Or Volpatti? Or any of the other guys you keep bringing up out of nowhere? Or Tommi ****ing Santala, for that matter?

If you think Kevin Connauton is in the NHL on the Canucks this year, I don't even begin to know what to say. And besides, you probably think the Roy trade was part of a rebuild, right?

Edit: ****. I'm talking to a ten year old, aren't I? If I'm talking to a pre-teen, I apologize. I feel like an ******* now. Sorry.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
And Dave Gagner was the centrepiece of the Bure trade. Nonis learned from the Master.

Seriously. It's like when a bunch of posters **** their pants and started screaming when Gillis didn't go into the season with fourteen rookies in the lineup after saying he wanted to go with more youth.

Boom Boom Bear

May 23, 2007
Coast Salish lands
Isbister was an okay bottom six forward for us, on a team needing some size and with no cap space.

are you serious? Isbister was the worst of the lot listed in this thread. that's ALL he had: size. he was completely useless. yeah, i get that somebody needs to be on the ice when the NHL calibre players are resting, but, wow, he was ba-aa-aaad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->