A Tommi Santala discussion

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Someone should have told Nonis that at the trade deadline.

But he traded those picks for guys that were essential for the "reload". He just forget to re-sign them after the season was over. Just a coincidence most didn't play another game in the NHL.:sarcasm:

Here's another 'useful stat' if one wants to take "slated events". It took Gillis one season - his first at GM of the Canucks - to win as many playoff rounds & playoff games as Nonis did in three seasons as the Canucks GM. Gillis took over GM of a team that missed the playoffs. Nonis took over as GM of the team that had won their division - 7th in the league standings (and of course made the playoffs).

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
But he traded those picks for guys that were essential for the "reload". He just forget to re-sign them after the season was over. Just a coincidence most didn't play another game in the NHL.:sarcasm:

Here's another 'useful stat' if one wants to take "slated events". It took Gillis one season - his first at GM of the Canucks - to win as many playoff rounds & playoff games as Nonis did in three seasons as the Canucks GM. Gillis took over GM of a team that missed the playoffs. Nonis took over as GM of the team that had won their division - 7th in the league standings (and of course made the playoffs).

YEAH but Gillis had Ebbett. EBBETT. He had EBBETT.

Now I will ignore that there were usually at least 3 Ebbett's in the lineup at pretty much all times under Nonis.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Just to show how great Gillis has been doing the last 2 years

Ah but of course... this is in comparison to a GM who managed to miss those same playoffs in 2 of the 3 years he was here. We've been so unfortunate without him.

to push an agenda

Sadly it seems this comprises half of all the posts you see here nowadays.

Someone should have told Nonis that at the trade deadline when he traded away two seconds and a fourth for two rentals. What the **** are you talking about?

Pretty much this.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Tommi Santala
Lee Goren
Steve McCarthy
Tyler Bouck
Nolan Baumgartner
Mika Noronen
Maxime Ouellet
Marc Chouinard
Dany Sabourin
Byron Ritchie
Brad Isbister
Eric Weinrich
Sean Brown
Marc Bergevin
Matt Pettinger
Kris Beech
Aaron Miller
Keith Carney
Jan Bulis
Jeff Cowan
Ryan Shannon

Yep, a pretty big pile of poo. Has beens and never were's...

But, I'd argue that Noronen could have been a decent backup goalie, given half a chance. Bulis was a decent 3rd liner that people expected to be a 2nd liner. I wouldn't be sad to see the Cowan we had as a 4th liner on this team, we've done worse, like Tanner Glass. And finally, Matt Pettinger was a disappointment. I don't know what the issue was here... or with the rest of his career, but he'd put up okay numbers in Washington and looked to be a potential 2nd/3rd line tweener. Instead he just disappeared.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
tommi santala
lee goren
steve mccarthy
tyler bouck
nolan baumgartner
mika noronen
maxime ouellet
marc chouinard
dany sabourin
byron ritchie
brad isbister
eric weinrich
sean brown
marc bergevin
matt pettinger
kris beech
aaron miller
keith carney
jan bulis
jeff cowan
ryan shannon

yep, a pretty big pile of poo. Has beens and never were's...

But, i'd argue that noronen could have been a decent backup goalie, given half a chance. Bulis was a decent 3rd liner that people expected to be a 2nd liner. I wouldn't be sad to see the cowan we had as a 4th liner on this team, we've done worse, like tanner glass. And finally, matt pettinger was a disappointment. I don't know what the issue was here... Or with the rest of his career, but he'd put up okay numbers in washington and looked to be a potential 2nd/3rd line tweener. Instead he just disappeared.

omg that list haha
my eyes!!!! Hisssssss

Bro Horvat

2011 Truther
Mar 20, 2013
Vancouver
only real memory of Santala - my cousin was at one the fan appreciation games with a 'Jerseys off our back' ceremony. Amazingly, his seat number was called. I was at that game too and I remember seeing the look on his face when he drew 'Tommi Santala' from his envelope.

I laughed my ass off.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
But, I'd argue that Noronen could have been a decent backup goalie, given half a chance. Bulis was a decent 3rd liner that people expected to be a 2nd liner. I wouldn't be sad to see the Cowan we had as a 4th liner on this team, we've done worse, like Tanner Glass. And finally, Matt Pettinger was a disappointment. I don't know what the issue was here... or with the rest of his career, but he'd put up okay numbers in Washington and looked to be a potential 2nd/3rd line tweener. Instead he just disappeared.

I think Pettinger might have been an okay 4th liner, but I thought he was brought in to be a depth scorer when the only reason he ever hit 20 goals in the first place was because he got big minutes on a crappy Washington team after the lockout.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Dave Nonis was with the organization since 1998.

This discussion is explaining how Nonis didn't go and fix the empty cupboard that Burke passed onto him, and Pat Quinn passed onto Burke.

How does the future sound, when you know that your depth down the middle for the future is:
Artem Chubarov, Harold Druken, Brandon Reid, Nathan Smith, and a Josh Holden with his injury

Then you have Steve Kariya, Pat Kavanagh, Justin Morrison, Jason King, Ryan Ready, Tyler Bouck, Fedor Fedorov on the wings

I got no problem with him picking up Jeff Cowan off waivers, signing Marc Chouinard as a UFA. you need to ice a lineup night in night out.
But don't go trading draft picks just to add to the garbage depth that Burke built up.

He's a terrible analyst if he (Nonis) thinks his teams were going anywhere in the playoffs

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Does anyone at all remember that meme website or where to find it? The one with 'You're the best, around' song playing, with pics of Santala and Chuck Norris-esque claims. I've looked for it but can't find it anymore.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Someone should have told Nonis that at the trade deadline when he traded away two seconds and a fourth for two rentals. What the **** are you talking about?

So much this. The guy can't advance a coherent argument across two or three posts without blundering like this, I don't know why anyone takes him seriously anymore (but kudos to the folks making an effort to set the record straight each and every time)..

I think Pettinger might have been an okay 4th liner, but I thought he was brought in to be a depth scorer when the only reason he ever hit 20 goals in the first place was because he got big minutes on a crappy Washington team after the lockout.

Pettinger was basically what Nonis could get in return when he decided to dump Matt Cooke. I don't know if he was brought in to do much of anything other than being a warm body (but at the time fans sure hoped his 20 goal season was in some way an indication he'd bring more to the table that Isbister/Cowan/Ritchie/etc).

Cooke's time was up with this team but the career he's gone on to have elsewhere speaks volumes about how bad that trade was for the Canucks.. but admittedly I'll bet that most of the value Nonis thought he was getting in that trade was from the fact that the team was ridding itself of a headache.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Pettinger was basically what Nonis could get in return when he decided to dump Matt Cooke. I don't know if he was brought in to do much of anything other than being a warm body (but at the time fans sure hoped his 20 goal season was in some way an indication he'd bring more to the table that Isbister/Cowan/Ritchie/etc).

Cooke's time was up with this team but the career he's gone on to have elsewhere speaks volumes about how bad that trade was for the Canucks.. but admittedly I'll bet that most of the value Nonis thought he was getting in that trade was from the fact that the team was ridding itself of a headache.

I don't remember too much about that season but was Cooke absolutely done here? He still proved to be a very good bottom 6 guy once he was traded, and it's hard to imagine his value dropping off so much in that short a time span that Nonis would be willing to just take any warm body as a return.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
How are people forgetting the Tyler Bouke/Lee Goren/Thomas Mojzis era of fun that was 2005/2006?

Only good thing that came of that year was that we realized those guys (our "top prospects") were garbage while Bieksa and Burrows were unfurled gems.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
HOSPITAL-13_std.jpg

Edler looks so much younger

As a father, this picture makes me say "support the head, Danny, you fool!"

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Brandon "wrap around" Reid

2007 NHL draft.. :facepalm:

Brandon Reid was a 7th round pick (208th overall). The fact that he played in the NHL at all makes that pick a win, IMO. Definitely doesn't belong in the same category as some of the garbage contracts that were awarded in the early/mid 2000s by our team.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I got no problem with him picking up Jeff Cowan off waivers
Great pick-up by Nonis. However, that was offset by the *awful contract* he gave him. You don't hand out a 2 year deal to waiver wire pickup material (to give "balance" to my post - similiar to what Gillis gave Sestito).

Can't really blame this on Nonis. AV had enough of Cooke and his antics. Better for the Canucks to be rid of him ("addition by subtraction").

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
In 3 seasons as Canucks GM, Dave Nonis gave one-way contracts to the following players, all of whom were eventually waived or were out of the league the very next season:

Lee Goren
Steve McCarthy
Tyler Bouck
Nolan Baumgartner
Mika Noronen
Maxime Ouellet
Jeff Cowan
Marc Chouinard
Dany Sabourin
Tommi Santala
Byron Ritchie
Brad Isbister
Eric Weinrich
Sean Brown
Marc Bergevin
Matt Pettinger
Kris Beech
Aaron Miller

Oh how I miss Jeff Cowan and Brad Isbister.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I don't remember too much about that season but was Cooke absolutely done here? He still proved to be a very good bottom 6 guy once he was traded, and it's hard to imagine his value dropping off so much in that short a time span that Nonis would be willing to just take any warm body as a return.

He was done in that he'd asked for a trade and the coach wanted him gone.. not in that he was an awful player (although he was no elite third liner :naughty: ).

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Can't really blame this on Nonis. AV had enough of Cooke and his antics. Better for the Canucks to be rid of him ("addition by subtraction").

The difference was Shero, Lemieux, Byslma fixed Cooke and taught him a new way to be an NHL player

Wish Canucks could've fixed him up. But maybe the relationship got too toxic for that to happen

Here's another name that's aligned with the topic: a 35y.o. Bryan Smolinski for a 2nd round pick... to a team that was nowhere close to going deep in the playoffs

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
****in' Lee Goren.

It's all about Jason King. My friends Dad actually has a King jersey :laugh:

Anyone remember when we waived Nathan McIver and the Ducks grabbed him, and then that same night he scored on an OT breakaway in the preseason :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad