A Tommi Santala discussion

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Ziostilon, Nov 13, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. Ziostilon

Ziostilon Registered User

[​IMG]

Remember when this franchise traded a fourth round pick for this guy.

Nonis saying Santala is the best 4th liner that you can get.

Is there even a current equivalent to this. Nowadays when you're trading away a 4th round pick at least you're getting prospects in return (Welsh, Dalpe)

[​IMG]
    Edler looks so much younger

2. Hammer79

Hammer79 Registered User

I don't think he said best 4th liner you can get, I think he actually said best 4th liner not playing in the NHL. I remember that he inspired a Chuck Norris style meme set to 'You're the best around' by Joe Esposito. :laugh:

Other than that, yeah, a pretty forgettable player. Definitely a disappointment.

3. Bgav

Bgav We Stylin'

Pretty terrible player

4. The Bob Cole

The Bob Cole Ohhhh Baby.

Weird, can't believe Daniel is holding Edler like that.

5. luongo321

luongo321 Registered User

I bet his advanced stats are better than booth's.

6. Reign Nateo

Reign Nateo Registered User

Home Page:
    Tommy Santala discussion thread... OK...

Who's next? Mikka Noronen? Marc Chouinard?

7. luongo321

luongo321 Registered User

The Brunny Rabbit. Fabian Brunnstrom! :handclap:

8. LuiLui

LuiLui Registered User

He has been PPG in the Swiss A league the last few years....that's kind of surprising

9. NuxFan09

NuxFan09 Registered User

Oh man, the list of garbage players Nonis acquired is so long.

Mika Noronen
    Tommy Santala
    Keith Carney
    Eric Weinrich
    Brad Isbister
    Marc Chouinard
    Jan Bulis
    Jeff Cowan
    Ryan Shannon
    Byron Ritchie

How many of those guys got chances with the Sedins, by the way?

10. EP40

EP40 Registered Snoozer

Byron Ritchie running the point on the PP.. good times.

anyone remember the time he had like 3 breakaways on the same shift and butchered them all? :laugh:

11. Rotting Corpse*

Rotting Corpse* Registered User

Nothing really wrong with Mika Noronen or Keith Carney. Jan Bulis was an underrated 3rd liner that people for some reason wanted 2nd line production from. Weinrich and Chouinard were horrible but had been decent very recently, so I'm not sure why they suddenly sucked so bad.

The rest of those guys...yeah.

12. RandV

RandV It's a wolf v2.0

Home Page:
    Jan Bulis was okay. He had 20-20 the year before, and at least played the full season for us at 14 minutes a game. While his production was cut almost in half for us it probably had a lot to do with the scrubs he was playing with.

Chouinard was just bad though. He was meant to be a Brad Richardson type as he got a similar contract, but went from playing 16 minutes and getting 30 points in Minnesota to being minor league caliber for us. The rest of the guys on that list though nothing was ever really expected.

If I could cherry pick though I'd say there were two things that really killed our forward depth for that time period: Brian Burke jerking around RJ Umberger on his contract and losing him for nothing and Artem Chubarov staying in Russia after the lockout. Would have been nice at the time if we still had those two guys around.

13. Hollywood Burrows

Hollywood Burrows Registered User

truly a stirring defense

14. Burke's Evil Spirit

Burke's Evil Spirit Registered User

CS
    In 3 seasons as Canucks GM, Dave Nonis gave one-way contracts to the following players, all of whom were eventually waived or were out of the league the very next season:

Lee Goren
    Steve McCarthy
    Tyler Bouck
    Nolan Baumgartner
    Mika Noronen
    Maxime Ouellet
    Jeff Cowan
    Marc Chouinard
    Dany Sabourin
    Tommi Santala
    Byron Ritchie
    Brad Isbister
    Eric Weinrich
    Sean Brown
    Marc Bergevin
    Matt Pettinger
    Kris Beech
    Aaron Miller

15. Rotting Corpse*

It wasn't meant as a "defense," (what am I defending?) I am just pointing out some differences between a bunch of players who are getting lumped together. Keith Carney was a perfectly reasonable acquisition who performed fairly well for us, and still had enough in the tank to play two full seasons in Minnesota after. Jan Bulis too was a perfectly cromulent player signed to a cheap deal from whom fans wanted more just because he happened to score exactly 20 goals the year before. It was unrealistic.

On the other hand, Eric Weinrich was completely done. I have nothing good to say about him (well, the visor.) It boggles my mind to this day how pro scouts watched Weinrich that year and thought he could help; he couldn't keep up with the play at all, it was embarrassing. Looking it up, he was a -13 in 16 games! Anyway, so yeah. Chouinard falls under this category as well, I guess. These guys ostensibly were good for the team they played with before, and fell apart on our team for some reason.

And then there's the Isbister/Ritchie class of players who just suck and shouldn't have been signed. But you know, these happen. Hell, we had Cam Barker just last year.

Anyway, so that's all. I am not "defending" anyone, I just don't see much consistency to the list that was posted. There are at least 3 different classes of players there, in my opinion. I also don't really know how Santala fits in to this. A low-risk European gamble. Didn't work, oh well.

16. Rotting Corpse*

This is a much, much better list. Sean Brown! Remember how many people here wanted to bring him back? Matt Pettinger! Oh man, Dany Sabourin. Lee Goren. Lee Goren!

But didn't Nolan Baumgartner leverage his play here into a ridiculous contract with Philly?

17. alternate

alternate It's Miller time!

meh, similar lists could be put together for pretty much every GM ever. Pretty boring rehashing Nonis's misses at this point.

18. BoHorvatFan

BoHorvatFan Registered User

I literally hated half the players on this list. Right now I only hate Booth, so compared to back then we're actually in great shape. Ritchie on the power play, Ryan Shannon in general just pissed me off, all those wasted 2nd round picks… :laugh:

19. Rotting Corpse*

As for the original topic, never forget that Brian Burke traded a 2nd for Vadim Sharifijanov. A 4th for Tommi Santala is a relative bargain.

20. Ziostilon

Ziostilon Registered User

that wasn't my point for the thread

but anyways, Nonis' misses felt like it was all within a short time frame

Considering the resources at hand, it didn't feel like he utilized it to its full potential.

he was not your typical free agent signing out of Europe. We traded a fourth round pick for him.

Considering how empty the prospect pool was back then. Even when they're trading away picks now, i shudder.
    The pick didn't turn into much, but the fact is he traded away a pick when he had empty cupboards

21. Burke's Evil Spirit

CS
    He did, but was waived 6 games into the season. Got two more cups of coffee in the NHL before he retired.

22. Burke's Evil Spirit

CS
    Complete ********. Try it. 18 absolute garbage players handed NHL roster spots in 3 seasons. That's practically an entire team. Basically dressing a 3rd of an AHL team night-in, night-out for 3 years, I defy you to find me an actual credible GM with a record like that. Nonis is/was a godawful evaluator of talent.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  23. Rotting Corpse*

That's mind-blowing. They waived him 6 games into a 2 year deal? Wow. Didn't realize it was that bad.

Edit: They waived him and Nedved (Petr Nedved!) immediately after a 9-1 loss. Ha. Then tried to call him back up because they only had 6 dmen and lost him on re-entry. That's some nice work, all around.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  24. Rotting Corpse*

I don't know, maybe. A 4th round pick isn't valued all that hightly. We got a fifth in the deal, as well. We basically moved from #115 to #145 in the draft in exchange for Santala. Not a big deal, all things considered. Many of our draft pick trades have been worse.

25. RobertKron

RobertKron Registered User

The empty cupboard was the reason why they had to trade a pick for a guy like Santala (who, IIRC was an okayish space-filler until he got hurt or something).

This, and it holds true for a lot of the non-deadline guys listed in this thread, is the trap of having nothing coming up, but also not being a team that has decided to weather the storm and deal with being bad for a while so you can hold on to your picks. You don't have prospects coming up to even give you plug-level players to fill out your lineup, so the options are 1) to acquire those players through trades, 2) to pay extra to get them as free agents. When you start running out of assets to trade because of #1 and cap room because of #2, you have to resort to filling out your lineup with bargain level hopes and prayers.

Nonis' real mistake was buying at the deadline in seasons where it was obvious the team was going nowhere - but even then that playoff revenue is a big deal. The year they grabbed Weinrich, the team used 12 defensemen. You can bet teams were asking for the ****ing moon for anyone better.