A Tommi Santala discussion

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
3824075.image

Remember when this franchise traded a fourth round pick for this guy.

Nonis saying Santala is the best 4th liner that you can get.

Is there even a current equivalent to this. Nowadays when you're trading away a 4th round pick at least you're getting prospects in return (Welsh, Dalpe)

HOSPITAL-13_std.jpg

Edler looks so much younger

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I don't think he said best 4th liner you can get, I think he actually said best 4th liner not playing in the NHL. I remember that he inspired a Chuck Norris style meme set to 'You're the best around' by Joe Esposito. :laugh:

Other than that, yeah, a pretty forgettable player. Definitely a disappointment.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Oh man, the list of garbage players Nonis acquired is so long.

Mika Noronen
Tommy Santala
Keith Carney
Eric Weinrich
Brad Isbister
Marc Chouinard
Jan Bulis
Jeff Cowan
Ryan Shannon
Byron Ritchie

How many of those guys got chances with the Sedins, by the way?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Byron Ritchie running the point on the PP.. good times.

anyone remember the time he had like 3 breakaways on the same shift and butchered them all? :laugh:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Mika Noronen
Tommy Santala
Keith Carney
Eric Weinrich
Brad Isbister
Marc Chouinard
Jan Bulis
Jeff Cowan
Ryan Shannon
Byron Ritchie

Nothing really wrong with Mika Noronen or Keith Carney. Jan Bulis was an underrated 3rd liner that people for some reason wanted 2nd line production from. Weinrich and Chouinard were horrible but had been decent very recently, so I'm not sure why they suddenly sucked so bad.

The rest of those guys...yeah.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Jan Bulis was okay. He had 20-20 the year before, and at least played the full season for us at 14 minutes a game. While his production was cut almost in half for us it probably had a lot to do with the scrubs he was playing with.

Chouinard was just bad though. He was meant to be a Brad Richardson type as he got a similar contract, but went from playing 16 minutes and getting 30 points in Minnesota to being minor league caliber for us. The rest of the guys on that list though nothing was ever really expected.

If I could cherry pick though I'd say there were two things that really killed our forward depth for that time period: Brian Burke jerking around RJ Umberger on his contract and losing him for nothing and Artem Chubarov staying in Russia after the lockout. Would have been nice at the time if we still had those two guys around.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Nothing really wrong with Mika Noronen or Keith Carney. Jan Bulis was an underrated 3rd liner that people for some reason wanted 2nd line production from. Weinrich and Chouinard were horrible but had been decent very recently, so I'm not sure why they suddenly sucked so bad.

The rest of those guys...yeah.

truly a stirring defense

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
In 3 seasons as Canucks GM, Dave Nonis gave one-way contracts to the following players, all of whom were eventually waived or were out of the league the very next season:

Lee Goren
Steve McCarthy
Tyler Bouck
Nolan Baumgartner
Mika Noronen
Maxime Ouellet
Jeff Cowan
Marc Chouinard
Dany Sabourin
Tommi Santala
Byron Ritchie
Brad Isbister
Eric Weinrich
Sean Brown
Marc Bergevin
Matt Pettinger
Kris Beech
Aaron Miller

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
truly a stirring defense

It wasn't meant as a "defense," (what am I defending?) I am just pointing out some differences between a bunch of players who are getting lumped together. Keith Carney was a perfectly reasonable acquisition who performed fairly well for us, and still had enough in the tank to play two full seasons in Minnesota after. Jan Bulis too was a perfectly cromulent player signed to a cheap deal from whom fans wanted more just because he happened to score exactly 20 goals the year before. It was unrealistic.

On the other hand, Eric Weinrich was completely done. I have nothing good to say about him (well, the visor.) It boggles my mind to this day how pro scouts watched Weinrich that year and thought he could help; he couldn't keep up with the play at all, it was embarrassing. Looking it up, he was a -13 in 16 games! Anyway, so yeah. Chouinard falls under this category as well, I guess. These guys ostensibly were good for the team they played with before, and fell apart on our team for some reason.

And then there's the Isbister/Ritchie class of players who just suck and shouldn't have been signed. But you know, these happen. Hell, we had Cam Barker just last year.

Anyway, so that's all. I am not "defending" anyone, I just don't see much consistency to the list that was posted. There are at least 3 different classes of players there, in my opinion. I also don't really know how Santala fits in to this. A low-risk European gamble. Didn't work, oh well.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
In 3 seasons as Canucks GM, Dave Nonis gave one-way contracts to the following players, all of whom were eventually waived or were out of the league the very next season:

Lee Goren
Steve McCarthy
Tyler Bouck
Nolan Baumgartner
Mika Noronen
Maxime Ouellet
Jeff Cowan
Marc Chouinard
Dany Sabourin
Tommi Santala
Byron Ritchie
Brad Isbister
Eric Weinrich
Sean Brown
Marc Bergevin
Matt Pettinger
Kris Beech
Aaron Miller

This is a much, much better list. Sean Brown! Remember how many people here wanted to bring him back? Matt Pettinger! Oh man, Dany Sabourin. Lee Goren. Lee Goren!

But didn't Nolan Baumgartner leverage his play here into a ridiculous contract with Philly?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
meh, similar lists could be put together for pretty much every GM ever. Pretty boring rehashing Nonis's misses at this point.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver

Mika Noronen
Tommy Santala
Keith Carney
Eric Weinrich
Brad Isbister
Marc Chouinard
Jan Bulis
Jeff Cowan
Ryan Shannon
Byron Ritchie

I literally hated half the players on this list. Right now I only hate Booth, so compared to back then we're actually in great shape. Ritchie on the power play, Ryan Shannon in general just pissed me off, all those wasted 2nd round picks… :laugh:

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
meh, similar lists could be put together for pretty much every GM ever. Pretty boring rehashing Nonis's misses at this point.

that wasn't my point for the thread

but anyways, Nonis' misses felt like it was all within a short time frame

Considering the resources at hand, it didn't feel like he utilized it to its full potential.

I also don't really know how Santala fits in to this. A low-risk European gamble. Didn't work, oh well.

he was not your typical free agent signing out of Europe. We traded a fourth round pick for him.

Considering how empty the prospect pool was back then. Even when they're trading away picks now, i shudder.
The pick didn't turn into much, but the fact is he traded away a pick when he had empty cupboards

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
This is a much, much better list. Sean Brown! Remember how many people here wanted to bring him back? Matt Pettinger! Oh man, Dany Sabourin. Lee Goren. Lee Goren!

But didn't Nolan Baumgartner leverage his play here into a ridiculous contract with Philly?

He did, but was waived 6 games into the season. Got two more cups of coffee in the NHL before he retired.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Complete ********. Try it. 18 absolute garbage players handed NHL roster spots in 3 seasons. That's practically an entire team. Basically dressing a 3rd of an AHL team night-in, night-out for 3 years, I defy you to find me an actual credible GM with a record like that. Nonis is/was a godawful evaluator of talent.

Last edited:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
He did, but was waived 6 games into the season. Got two more cups of coffee in the NHL before he retired.

That's mind-blowing. They waived him 6 games into a 2 year deal? Wow. Didn't realize it was that bad.

Edit: They waived him and Nedved (Petr Nedved!) immediately after a 9-1 loss. Ha. Then tried to call him back up because they only had 6 dmen and lost him on re-entry. That's some nice work, all around.

Last edited:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Considering the resources at hand, it didn't feel like he utilized it to its full potential.

he was not your typical free agent signing out of Europe. We traded a fourth round pick for him.

Considering how empty the prospect pool was back then. Even when they're trading away picks now, i shudder.
The pick didn't turn into much, but the fact is he traded away a pick when he had empty cupboards

I don't know, maybe. A 4th round pick isn't valued all that hightly. We got a fifth in the deal, as well. We basically moved from #115 to #145 in the draft in exchange for Santala. Not a big deal, all things considered. Many of our draft pick trades have been worse.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

The empty cupboard was the reason why they had to trade a pick for a guy like Santala (who, IIRC was an okayish space-filler until he got hurt or something).

This, and it holds true for a lot of the non-deadline guys listed in this thread, is the trap of having nothing coming up, but also not being a team that has decided to weather the storm and deal with being bad for a while so you can hold on to your picks. You don't have prospects coming up to even give you plug-level players to fill out your lineup, so the options are 1) to acquire those players through trades, 2) to pay extra to get them as free agents. When you start running out of assets to trade because of #1 and cap room because of #2, you have to resort to filling out your lineup with bargain level hopes and prayers.

Nonis' real mistake was buying at the deadline in seasons where it was obvious the team was going nowhere - but even then that playoff revenue is a big deal. The year they grabbed Weinrich, the team used 12 defensemen. You can bet teams were asking for the ****ing moon for anyone better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->