News Article: A Timeline of Paul Holmgren, Bob Clarke, and the Flyers

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
So I went ahead and traced out the whole weaving history of Bob Clarke and Paul Holmgren's involvement in the franchise, starting with the drafting of Clarke in 1969.

Fun fact: December 1991 to June 1992 and March 1993 to June 1994 are the only two stretches in the last 50 years in which neither Holmgren nor Clarke was employed by the team. That's only 23 of the last 596 months.

A Timeline of Paul Holmgren, Bob Clarke and the Flyers

I said:
The pro sports world is inherently exclusive and insular, but there may not be many pro sports franchises out there as insular as the Philadelphia Flyers.

The team is now in its 52nd year. The two men who currently hold the reins behind its hockey operations have been part of its history, whether as players, coaches or executives, for all but three of those years. On the team’s front office page, the pair appear as the first two names listed below Comcast Spectacor CEO and Chairman Dave Scott: Paul Holmgren is President and Bob Clarke is Senior Vice President.

Both former players have displayed incredible resiliency and staying power with the organization. Both have left and returned multiple times, and both have been awarded higher posts after being relieved of duties in another role.

Hundreds of players and dozens of front office and managerial staff members have come and gone since Clarke was first drafted in 1969. Since then, 1993-94 was the only complete season that neither he nor Holmgren was employed by the franchise. As the Flyers amble through a lost season towards what looks like their 12th missed playoff appearance and 43rd straight season without a Stanley Cup, here’s the timeline of the duo’s enduring involvement over the years...

So, chew on that, I guess.

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I had totally forgotten Clarke's stint in Florida.

Honestly, I think Jay Snider would have grown into a fine owner for the Flyers. His timing was probably just bad. I may be the only one who thinks this.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I had totally forgotten Clarke's stint in Florida.

Honestly, I think Jay Snider would have grown into a fine owner for the Flyers. His timing was probably just bad. I may be the only one who thinks this.

Before writing, I had forgotten he had been in that role at one point. I found it interesting that he was, in essence, the only person to have ever fired Clarke from the organization...not moved him to a different role, but rather ceased his employment with the team (though Clarke soon returned and took the SVP role for 9 months while Jay was still in charge). Clarke resumed GM duties around the same time Jay left the organization, too, but I don't know if there's anything to that.

Also was interesting to see that Fletcher, at 26, got his start at Florida under Clarke. Truly incredible-no matter your feelings either way-that Clarke and Homer have been with the franchise for so long in so many different capacities.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The only thing that will rid us of Homer and Clarke is time.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The only thing that will rid us of Homer and Clarke is time.

It does seem like, as Snider retreated from the day-to-day ops and eventually passed away, they ended up with more and more control of the franchise as his proxies. No way of knowing how much say Clarke still has in things, though.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Clarle said recently he spends more time in Florida than Philly. He considers himself more a fan than an expert nowadays. Though he does make himself available when hes around and apreciates he has an office.

Frankly given his history with the franchise dating back before i was born he can collect a salary as a consultant and vice president of vacation destination exploration until the day he dies as far as im concerned.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
08ae8530eff7de9bd409119d7b0e4af7--statler-and-waldorf-dynamic-duos.jpg

This is my impression of Clarke and Holmgren, while they sit in the luxury seats watching the Flyers at Wells Fargo Centre. They sort of also remind me of Harold Ballard and King Clancy in the Maple Leafs past.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
View attachment 178299

This is my impression of Clarke and Holmgren, while they sit in the luxury seats watching the Flyers at Wells Fargo Centre. They sort of also remind me of Harold Ballard and King Clancy in the Maple Leafs past.

This is actually an intriguing comparison (Ballard/Clancy, not Muppets). There are very few comparables for this around the league, I'm sure. Elsewhere in sports, all I can think of for like, 25+ year executives are Popovich and Jerry Jones, who each have at least had some measure of championship success.

But in terms of former players becoming immovable objects in the front office, seems relatively rare to get a situation like this one.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad