News Article: A third of the way through their season, the Winnipeg Jets get their report cards

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
Summary of grades given to the Jets players so far this season by nobody important:

Scheifele: B
Morrissey: A+
Laine: C
Connor: B+
Buff: A
Trouba: B
Wheeler: C+
Brossoit: A
Ehlers: C
Perreault: D
Lowry: A
Copp: C
Petan: D
Tanev: C
Roslovic: C
Chiarot: D
Little: B
Helle: C-
Myers: F
Morrow: D
Lemieux: F
Kulikov: insufficient data

Reasons for these ratings behind my pay wall. Subscribe for only $9.99 per month. :laugh:
This looks about right. Every player on this team has underperformed for good chunks and only shown their "a" games a handful of times. No one either then Morrissey for me gets an A.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Absolutely agree with your Little / Matty / Petan call out -
Kuli isn't a C - I'd give him a B on his recent showing and wouldn't count his earlier games where he was recovering from a major injury.
Morrow and Lemmy are C's - I don't see either of them as failures (D/F) when you consider their role on this team.
Hopefully this isn't a talent ranking -
Not a talent ranking for my part, despite their roles, I still think Lemmy and Morrow have been below replacement level. Morrow in particular has not much of anything well and I think contributed a fair amount to Myers awful play early on.

Reactions: Jets 31

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Scheifele: A
Morrissey: A
Laine: B
Connor: A
Trouba: A
Wheeler: B+
Brossoit: B+
Ehlers: C+
Perreault: B
Lowry: B
Copp: B-
Petan: C
Tanev: B-
Roslovic: C+
Chiarot: C+
Helle: C+
Myers: C- (recent play takes the d to a C-)
Morrow: C-
Lemieux: C
Kulikov: n/a

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012

Other than giving Frenchie a C vs a B, ibthunk thats about a dead on as you can get.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Not a talent ranking for my part, despite their roles, I still think Lemmy and Morrow have been below replacement level. Morrow in particular has not much of anything well and I think contributed a fair amount to Myers awful play early on.

Fair enough - I get the no love for Lemmy but Morrow is what he is - a cheap D man.
BTW, the talent part - I wasn't referring to your comments, more so the ranking - I should have been clearer

Reactions: Ducky10

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

This is really close to where I'd rank them - :thumbu:

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Fair enough - I get the no love for Lemmy but Morrow is what he is - a cheap D man.
BTW, the talent part - I wasn't referring to your comments, more so the ranking - I should have been clearer
That's fair to say I suppose, taken in the context of what's to be expected from him, I guess he's been average. His play with Myers is significantly below his play with Buff last season though, but that is likely all Buff.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A third of the way through their season, the Winnipeg Jets...

Summary of grades given to the Jets players so far this season by the Athletic:

Scheifele: A+
Laine: A+
Wheeler: A
Ehlers: B+
Perreault: B+
Lowry: B+
Copp: B+
Petan: B
Tanev: C+
Little: C+
Helle: C
Myers: C
Morrow: C
Kulikov: C

I might bump some guys up or down half a grade or so but mostly agree with this. The only rating that was jarring was Little's C+. The article justified that rating by citing his mediocre shot metrics but I feel there should be an asterix next to Bryan Little's Corsi due to the fact that he spends most of his time on ice with Laine.

Hmm, some strange grades for some players:

No idea how Little is a C+, he should be a B+ imo
I have been happy with Petan's play but no way is he a B, should be a C
Lemieux gets a D from me, one good game doesn't change how bad he has been prior to last game
Roslovic also gets a B from me due to him learning a new position

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

This one's my favourite except I'd have Ehlers with A, Wheeler B, and Lemieux D.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
This one's my favourite except I'd have Ehlers with A, Wheeler B, and Lemieux D.
I'd disagree. Ehlers might be playing like an A right now, but, you also have to factor in his really slow start. If it was based on the last 8 games it's A. If he keeps up this level of play next third he'll get an A. At this moment, for this report, you can not give him an A.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Summary of grades given to the Jets players so far this season by nobody important:

Reasons for these ratings behind my pay wall. Subscribe for only $9.99 per month. :laugh:

Your expectations for some of these guys must be completely unrealistic. You’d prob give Crosby or McDavid a B-

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I'd disagree. Ehlers might be playing like an A right now, but, you also have to factor in his really slow start. If it was based on the last 8 games it's A. If he keeps up this level of play next third he'll get an A. At this moment, for this report, you can not give him an A.

I think Ehlers wasn't great in the first 3-4 games but has been playing his A game since then, but suffered from bad luck in shot % of him and linemates. IMO

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think Ehlers wasn't great in the first 3-4 games but has been playing his A game since then, but suffered from bad luck in shot % of him and linemates. IMO
Okay, but, it's still hard to give him an A. He's been an A since joining the top line.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Don’t you mean his first 13-14 games? Guy was invisible until he returned from the Findland Trip!

Reactions: Jack722

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My grades:

Morrissey A
Trouba A-
Scheifele A-
Brossoit A-
Connor B+
Buff B+
Ehlers B
Little B
Laine B
Wheeler B
Tanev B
Roslovic B-
Petan C+
Chariot C+
Helle C+
Lowry C
Perrault C
Copp C
Myers C
Kulikov C (He gets some leeway due to the injury he's coming back from)
Morrow C-
Lemieux D

Grades are based on performance in role against expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke749

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

Laine, 2nd in the league in goals and almost a point per game, gets a C? What are your expectations for him? Lead the league in goals by a long shot and be over a point per game? yeesh.

Scheif, 14th in the league in scoring and hitting at a 1.21 points per game, gets a B? Wheeler 8th in the league in points, and hitting 1.28 points per game, gets a C+?

Being a little bit hard on them here.

I'll try my own so you can rip me back though!

Laine: B+
Perreault: C
Copp: B
Petan: C+
Kulikov: D

Reactions: Oseductive

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Laine, 2nd in the league in goals and almost a point per game, gets a C? What are your expectations for him? Lead the league in goals by a long shot and be over a point per game? yeesh.

Scheif, 14th in the league in scoring and hitting at a 1.21 points per game, gets a B? Wheeler 8th in the league in points, and hitting 1.28 points per game, gets a C+?

Being a little bit hard on them here.

I'll try my own so you can rip me back though!

Perreault: C
Copp: B
Petan: C+
Kulikov: D

Not going to rip into anyone. We all grade differently. I tend to be a hard marker. My grades have nothing to do with expectations. Hell, if that were the case, Myers would get an A+ for exactly meeting my expectations for him being a shitty defenseman, as an example. :laugh:

Laine is good at scoring on the PP, but his overall game has left me wanting much more from him. He just floats around too much, hoping others will do the heavy lifting. He's not much of a battler for a guy his size. He makes some really nice passes, but unfortunately, sometimes they are right to an opposing player. Yes, I know he's only 20 and will improve. But right now, his game is pretty meh for me.

Scheifele and Wheeler get downgrades for their defensive play. I'm not giving top marks to guys who slowly drift back to their own end, or head off to the bench, while a dangerous counter attack is under way. Or have a brain cramp in their zone. Maybe they're tired after a long shift but that's something they need to control. Or Maurice needs to control. I give Maurice a C BTW. Wheeler gets hit harder because his goal scoring is well below what it should be, and because the only thing he seems to be doing really well these days is making seam passes to Laine on the PP. Don't even get me started on his stupid penalties.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
let me try this at home

Trouba: B+
Wheeler: A-
Ehlers: B-
Perreault: D+
Lowry: C
Copp: C-
Roslovic: C-
Chiarot:C
Myers: C-
Kulikov: C

Maurice: C
Sarah: A-​

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Jets A-

Maurice D+

jpfHDHW.gif

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
My grades:

Morrissey A
Trouba A-
Scheifele A-
Brossoit A-
Connor B+
Buff B+
Little B
Laine B
Wheeler B
Tanev B
Roslovic B-
Petan C+
Chariot C+
Helle C+
Lowry C
Copp C
Myers C
Kulikov C (He gets some leeway due to the injury he's coming back from)
Morrow C-
Lemieux D

Grades are based on performance in role against expectations.

Forgot Ehlers

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

He's actually shooting higher than last season.

5on5 shooting% compared to last season:

Ehlers 10.71% +1.27%
Scheifele 22.73% +10.35%
Wheeler 3.77% -4.61%

+2.82 goals over "normal" level.

Connor 7.55% -4.95%
Little 8.82% -3.14%
Laine 15% +0.53%

-3.37 goals below "normal" level.

(+/-*.**% are percentage points i.e Scheifele had 12.38 shooting% compared to22.73% this season)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad