News Article: A third of the way through their season, the Winnipeg Jets get their report cards

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
A third of the way through their season, the Winnipeg Jets...

Summary of grades given to the Jets players so far this season by the Athletic:

Scheifele: A+
Morrissey: A+
Laine: A+
Connor: A
Buff: A
Trouba: A
Wheeler: A
Brossoit: A
Ehlers: B+
Perreault: B+
Lowry: B+
Copp: B+
Petan: B
Tanev: C+
Roslovic: C+
Chiarot: C+
Little: C+
Helle: C
Myers: C
Morrow: C
Lemieux: C
Kulikov: C

I might bump some guys up or down half a grade or so but mostly agree with this. The only rating that was jarring was Little's C+. The article justified that rating by citing his mediocre shot metrics but I feel there should be an asterix next to Bryan Little's Corsi due to the fact that he spends most of his time on ice with Laine.

Reactions: RRenegade

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

I might bump some guys up or down half a grade or so but mostly agree with this. The only rating that was jarring was Little's C+. The article justified that rating by citing his mediocre shot metrics but I feel there should be an asterix next to Bryan Little's Corsi due to the fact that he spends most of his time on ice with Laine.

Tanev 4 goals 6 assists 10 pts. C+/ Copp 2 goals, 2 assists 4 pts. B+ ? Say what!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Petan getting a "B" ahead of Little is a complete joke, and I really like Murat.

I'm a proponent of analytics, but this irrational devotion to shot metrics, especially with so little attention to sample size and context is getting ridiculous.

Little leads the Jets in 5v5 offense - ahead of Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Perreault and everyone else. He has done this while keeping the Jets zone tidy with terrific defensive play alongside wingers that struggle in that department. Petan plays LW in the bottom 6 and though I think he's been effective, he's basically been a non-factor this year.

I think there needs to be a bit more common sense introduced into the mix with the analysis of "advanced" stats.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Tanev 4 goals 6 assists 10 pts. C+/ Copp 2 goals, 2 assists 4 pts. B+ ? Say what!

Sip I know you aren’t a Copp fan but he is better than Tanev. Copp is an great defensive player that works perfectly with Lowry. They are the 1-2 punch that give us a 3rd line that can compete with pretty much any top line in the NHL. They may not score allot but here’s the key and it’s a really big one they get scored on less and tilt the ice. Goal differential is >>> goals and much cheaper. Copp flat out is one of my favorite Jets to watch play live.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Petan getting a "B" ahead of Little is a complete joke, and I really like Murat.

I'm a proponent of analytics, but this irrational devotion to shot metrics, especially with so little attention to sample size and context is getting ridiculous.

Little leads the Jets in 5v5 offense - ahead of Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Perreault and everyone else. He has done this while keeping the Jets zone tidy with terrific defensive play alongside wingers that struggle in that department. Petan plays LW in the bottom 6 and though I think he's been effective, he's basically been a non-factor this year.

I think there needs to be a bit more common sense introduced into the mix with the analysis of "advanced" stats.
Even Paul Wiecek winced

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Uh oh. I disagree with these.
Morrissey end Schiefele deserve top marks for sure!
I think Laine has room to improve so I'd bump him to A.
Petan should be below Lemiuex.
Little should be a B at least.
Copp probably a B.

Not terrible, all things considered.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Production has to count in the analysis. Petan also plays against AHL competition most of the time. It’s unfair to everyone behind him that takes a regular shift against top 6/top 4 level players to not factor that in, even Tanev plays a big role against guys that are an actual threat to score on us.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Agree with a lot of what already has been said.

I'd also move 55 and 26 down a grade; Brossoit up a grade; Myers and Little up a grade; and Morrow, Lemieux and Kuli down a grade to D.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Copp is an interesting case IMHO... he's important for the effectiveness (possession in the O zone) of the third line. He will never be a scoring production machine.

Litts is a B or even a B+ but never a C+.
Tanev definitely needs to be graded higher as he’s exceeding what’s expected of him scoring wise plus he NEVER takes a shift off

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

No way should Laine be marked higher than KC.
If Armia played with the consistency that Tanev does, he would still be a Jet...

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
[B said:
I think there needs to be a bit more common sense introduced into the mix with the analysis of "advanced" stats.[/B]

Yes indeed -

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Summary of grades given to the Jets players so far this season by nobody important:

Scheifele: B
Laine: C
Connor: B+
Trouba: B
Wheeler: C+
Ehlers: C
Perreault: D
Lowry: A
Copp: C
Petan: D
Tanev: C
Roslovic: C
Chiarot: D
Little: B
Helle: C-
Myers: F
Morrow: D
Lemieux: F
Kulikov: insufficient data

Reasons for these ratings behind my pay wall. Subscribe for only $9.99 per month. :laugh:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
A couple of "too smart for his own good" grades. Little has been way better than a C+, I like Petan but he hasn't been a B and no way should he be higher than Little. If that's what your methodology brings you to, you need to question it.

Perreault as a B+ is too high imo as well, by a half a point. Buff has been A+ in my mind.

Morrow and Lemieux a C? If you're going to grade Kuli on the small sample we've seen, it's not a C.

The curve definitely got thrown out for these grades.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

yep.

also, the high rating for Matty P this year is pretty silly.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
A couple of "too smart for his own good" grades. Little has been way better than a C+, I like Petan but he hasn't been a B and no way should he be higher than Little. If that's what your methodology brings you to, you need to question it.

Perreault as a B+ is too high imo as well, by a half a point. Buff has been A+ in my mind.

Morrow and Lemieux a C? If you're going to grade Kuli on the small sample we've seen, it's not a C.

The curve definitely got thrown out for these grades.

Absolutely agree with your Little / Matty / Petan call out -
Kuli isn't a C - I'd give him a B on his recent showing and wouldn't count his earlier games where he was recovering from a major injury.
Morrow and Lemmy are C's - I don't see either of them as failures (D/F) when you consider their role on this team.
Hopefully this isn't a talent ranking -

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->