Proposal: A swap of bad contracts . Lucic for ?

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Actually the return I would assume to be for Lucic would be Hanzal and Ritchie. If they retained $500k from Ritchie's deal, the salaries balance themselves for this season. It essentially turns into a three year commitment to Lucic at the $6m beginning at the end of Hanzal's deal two years from now.
Keep dreaming, Jim Nill is not a complete idiot to do that deal.

Reactions: go4hockey

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Keep dreaming, Jim Nill is not a complete idiot to do that deal.
Did you not read the post? Jim Nill almost signed him out of Free Agency. If the Stars have any interest in filling that top six role without spending significant assets on a high cost rental option like Pacioretty or Panarin, it would be much easier circling back to an option they were considering two years prior.

Compared to a UFA signing, that type of deal carries less risk for the Stars considering the first two years of cap commitments would mostly be negated.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hossa's dead carcass and 5,000,000 cap hit for the next three seasons were just traded and Arizona got very little in terms of incentive to take that on. Lucic's decline and bloated contract isn't the problem in Edmonton. He still has value. The extra 500k - 1 million on everyone else's contract is what has Edmonton in cap hell.

Hossa costs $200k per year after insurance, $600k total for the 3 years, and Chicago just another $2m by taking Kruger and another $400k on the signing bonus for VH. Arizona took on Hossa's salary and got paid assets and still made money on the deal.

Lucic gets paid a whole lot of real world money, Arizona won't touch that deal with a barge pole unless he's on permanent LTIR and the cash component is under control.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
What’s amusing is that you think a 24yr old that just scored 15PTs in the Playoffs has peaked. Lucic is 30 and will be 35 by the end of his contract. He also had one of the best and youngest superstars propping him up to those 34PTs which were also aided by a healthy 2min of PP time per game. Wilson’s 35 PTs came essentially all at ES and he was a pivotal PKer. If Wilson plays on the Top Line for a full season and sees any PP time this post will indeed be fun to revisit. If you enjoy looking like a fool I can see why you’d look forward to that.
Haha only time will tell.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
What’s amusing is that you think a 24yr old that just scored 15PTs in the Playoffs has peaked. Lucic is 30 and will be 35 by the end of his contract. He also had one of the best and youngest superstars propping him up to those 34PTs which were also aided by a healthy 2min of PP time per game. Wilson’s 35 PTs came essentially all at ES and he was a pivotal PKer. If Wilson plays on the Top Line for a full season and sees any PP time this post will indeed be fun to revisit. If you enjoy looking like a fool I can see why you’d look forward to that.
Haha only time will tell. You are pretty arrogant after that one Stanley cup, guy.

Reactions: McDaddy

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yeah, but Wilson still only has a regular season of high of 35 points.

Blackhawks paid Bickell big for his almost ppg playoff run, and he followed it up with 15 points in 59 games the next season.

When you see all kinds of guys this offseason with 30-40 points signing for four and five million dollars, you can't really say that the Lucic deal is horrendous in comparison.

If contracts keep going up like this it will look like a pretty average deal in 2 years time.

35 even strength points, which is more than most 2nd liners get. And we're assuming Wilson doesn't have als

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
I propose a 3-way trade that would please Lucic (He just bought a house in California I believe and doesn't want to play in Canada anymore.)

1st trade:

EDM:
Shaw, Andrew (4 years left at 3.9M AAV - Wilson's deal makes this one look better by the days)
2019 Habs 3rd rd pick
0.5M retention on Lucic's contract.

MTL:
Lucic, Milan (5 years left at 6M AAV)
2019 2nd round pick
2020 4th round pick

2nd trade:

LA:
Lucic, Milan (Comes in at a 4M AAV for the Kings)
Brook, Josh

MTL:
2019 1st round pick
2020 3rd round pick
1.5M retention on Lucic's contract.
Wow, so Montreal is getting a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks for Josh Brooks, retaining 1.5 million a year on Lucic, a 3rd round pick and getting rid of the horrible Shaw contract?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Actually the return I would assume to be for Lucic would be Hanzal and Ritchie. If they retained $500k from Ritchie's deal, the salaries balance themselves for this season. It essentially turns into a three year commitment to Lucic at the $6m beginning at the end of Hanzal's deal two years from now.

You think Dallas will trade for Lucic's contract *and* retain on a contract they are sending back to complete the deal?

Wow.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You think Dallas will trade for Lucic's contract *and* retain on a contract they are sending back to complete the deal?

Wow.
It was a description of the transfer of salaries. It showed that 'if' Dallas retained, there would be no cap impact this season either way. I don't 'think' anything is going to happen. The original comment suggested a deal would make sense based on the fact that Dallas was interested in Lucic's services just two seasons ago. And since then, there's been an opening at their top six LW position.

Realistically, Lucic's cap impact in 2020 (when Hanzal's deal ends) probably isn't as significant as people are making it seem. At that point, at 32, he's got three years left at $4.3aav in real cash. The contract is still very movable at that point--even if Lucic turns to stone.

If a GM likes what Lucic can bring to the table, this is the type of deal you'd probably see. No 1st rounders, no top prospects, no exorbitant retained salary. There are still plenty of hockey minds who value the power forward--its the reason why Tom Wilson is making $5m today.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Lucic to Dallas is still a thing I see making a ton of sense. The Stars still have a need for a top six LW, Milan and Tyler have a good rapport off the ice from their Bruins days and the Stars were also one of the final teams in on Lucic when he was a UFA.

Well Milan is no longer a top 6 guy and no way he could keep up with Tyler. I don’t think Dallas is dumb enough to take on that wonderful contract.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well Milan is no longer a top 6 guy and no way he could keep up with Tyler. I don’t think Dallas is dumb enough to take on that wonderful contract.
Says who? He's had one season where he shot a career low 6.8%. Every year before that he's been a 50 point winger consistently in the top ten in the league for hits. That season is called an anomaly in any other instance until it gets replicated.

I don't get the 'he'd never keep up with' argument either. Do all goals come off the rush in the NHL? Dallas isn't even a team known for its speed. Nor is Tyler known as much of a burner. And did Patrick Maroon 'keep up' with Connor McDavid? Physical players compliment skill players. The league has used that formula for decades. Not to mention he already 'kept up' with him in Boston when he played on a line with him and David Krejci.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
35 even strength points, which is more than most 2nd liners get. And we're assuming Wilson doesn't have als

Well Wilson was getting top six icetime with 3 superstar players the entire season. You'd hope he'd produce.

Bickell didn't have MS when he got his contract either. It happened like 3 years later.

The point is, that if gritty forwards that score 35 points a season is the new norm going forward than Lucic's contract is just fine.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well Wilson was getting top six icetime with 3 superstar players the entire season. You'd hope he'd produce.

Bickell didn't have MS when he got his contract either. It happened like 3 years later.

The point is, that if gritty forwards that score 35 points a season is the new norm going forward than Lucic's contract is just fine.
That career low 6.8% shot percentage I mentioned for Lucic? It's around what Tom Wilson's career average sat at before this past season.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Says who? He's had one season where he shot a career low 6.8%. Every year before that he's been a 50 point winger consistently in the top ten in the league for hits. That season is called an anomaly in any other instance until it gets replicated.

I don't get the 'he'd never keep up with' argument either. Do all goals come off the rush in the NHL? Dallas isn't even a team known for its speed. Nor is Tyler known as much of a burner. And did Patrick Maroon 'keep up' with Connor McDavid? Physical players compliment skill players. The league has used that formula for decades. Not to mention he already 'kept up' with him in Boston when he played on a line with him and David Krejci.

If he was a top 6 guy then the Oilers would be happy with him instead of trying to move him to any team. Hope he stays in Edmonton for the entire contract. The league is faster than its ever been, good luck with big slugs like him they are a dieing quickly in today’s NHL

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

200w.gif

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If he was a top 6 guy then the Oilers would be happy with him instead of trying to move him to any team. Hope he stays in Edmonton for the entire contract. The league is faster than its ever been, good luck with big slugs like him they are a dieing quickly in today’s NHL
The Oilers would be fine moving on from him because Leon Draisaitl ended up being a 70-80 point player who got paid an exorbitant salary straight out of his ELC. At the time of the Lucic salary, that wasn't something that was seen as a likely event. If previous trades haven't been enough of a hint, the Oilers management doesn't value wingers as highly as other teams might.

Regardless, this forum seems to have some unhealthy obsession with foot speed. If it were up to this forum's opinions, you'd think no successful NHLers have ever had issues with their skating. In reality a lot of offense in the NHL is created off of the cycle--winning puck battles. Foot speed is good in some instances--size and strength in others.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
The Oilers would be fine moving on from him because Leon Draisaitl ended up being a 70-80 point player who got paid an exorbitant salary straight out of his ELC. At the time of the Lucic salary, that wasn't something that was seen as a likely event. If previous trades haven't been enough of a hint, the Oilers management doesn't value wingers as highly as other teams might.

Regardless, this forum seems to have some unhealthy obsession with foot speed. If it were up to this forum's opinions, you'd think no successful NHLers have ever had issues with their skating. In reality a lot of offense in the NHL is created off of the cycle--winning puck battles. Foot speed is good in some instances--size and strength in others.

Again I wish you luck with him as I feel you will need it moving forward.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
According to Dobber Hockey Wilson played over 75% of his icetime with at least one of Ovechkin, Bacnkstrom, or Kuznetsov.

Pretty hard to find players with better linemates.
So we agree Wilson didn’t even play near the Top Line for a Quarter of the Season. Excellent.

Next.

Those numbers are dramatically skewed by only analyzing Wilson’s ES linemates when his TOI includes PK time and there is no breakdown of his PK linemates. Also FWIW Lucic spent ~50% of his time with McDavid or Draisaitl so again your argument is inherently flawed and was otherwise weak and WRONG to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad