Proposal: A swap of bad contracts . Lucic for ?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
We more then likely will give Lucic another year before we dump him .

Just looking for a trade that could maybe benefit both teams and 2 players . WE are not looking to add term or add a higher cap hit as we don't have enough cap space . Not adding to Lucic so it would have to be a 1 for 1 deal . Lucic is owed 4.5 million for 5 years total 22.5 million . Might make him a little more attractive to a cap floor team

Reactions: Cityswiper

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
IIRC, the Lucic contract is almost entirely signing bonuses. This makes it payable during the lockout and I think prevents the Oilers from retaining much value on it. I don't believe you can agree to pay a portion of a future signing bonus. You got your hands full on that one. You'd have a better chance unloading him if he were LTIR with no hope for return. For some reason the league allows that circus to go on.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
So it has to be a one for one and player can't have more term or more money. It would have to be a total plug making like 4+mil for the next 3 years in order for a team to have interest. Like if Jori Lehterra were signed for 3 more years at around 4.5 million, a team would maybe take the risk of taking on Lucic for the extra term and caphit because they are getting the better player. Lucic's cap hit is 6M, right?

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
His contract is terrible and buy out proof. It looks like the game has passed him by in that he can't keep up in the Modern NHL.

I doubt that many teams are going to line up to get him unless there's a pretty good incentive.

In terms of the 1 for 1 bad contract for bad contract, I think that because of the way his contract is structured, his is the king of bad contracts.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
So you're wanting a slightly better contract coming back, with shorter term? That heavily falls on how Lucic produces and plays this season, then perhaps a deadline trade. Otherwise, it makes no sense for other teams.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012

Just looking for a trade that could maybe benefit both teams and 2 players . WE are not looking to add term or add a higher cap hit as we don't have enough cap space . Not adding to Lucic so it would have to be a 1 for 1 deal . Lucic is owed 4.5 million for 5 years total 22.5 million . Might make him a little more attractive to a cap floor team
Lucic and his contract isn't attractive to anyone. There's no lipstick in the world that can make this piggy look pretty.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

You will not add term, add a higher cap hit and you won't add anything to Lucic.

Here's a question... what's in it for the other team? Why would any team do this other than the Oilers?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Lucic is untradeable that way. It will take a significant bribe from Chia to move that.

Is he really though? Washington just signed Tom Wilson with a career high of 35 points for $5+ million.

Seems like tough players are still highly valued by GMs.

Goose312

May 15, 2015

So no adding term, cap or a sweetener. For an awful, buyout proof contract with a full NMC for the next 3 seasons, then a very hefty modified NMC for the last two. What world are you living in that you think there's even a remote chance of that happening? Start tacking on picks and maybe someone considers it when he could actually be traded in 3 years.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's bad when we have Andrew MacDonald.....and I would rather keep his 2 years left at 5 million per than trade it for Lucic. The length is just too awful.

Looking at other guys with term(5 years), and have played bad....Ladd and Okposo could be options. It would be a swap to see if a change of teams makes a difference.

Just keep Lucic and hope he rebounds to make the best out of a bad contract for a few years. Who knows, you might get a "get out of jail free" card with the CBA and get a free buyout.

Reactions: dats81 and bukwas

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Comparables forwards/contract for me are Okposo, Ladd and Eriksson. Which team does it?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The NMC is a killer IMO. The team acquiring him would either have to get him to agree not to keep it in place (which is unlikely), or would be required to protect him over someone else in the next expansion draft.

Personally, if the NMC was gone, I'd take a chance on him bouncing back with a bit of retention on the Canes (although I doubt he'd waive to come to Carolina).

He's owed:

2018: $3.5M (a his signing bonus is already paid).
2019: $6M
2020: $4M
2021: $5M
2022: $4M

Reactions: Chrispy

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I propose a 3-way trade that would please Lucic (He just bought a house in California I believe and doesn't want to play in Canada anymore.)

1st trade:

EDM:
Shaw, Andrew (4 years left at 3.9M AAV - Wilson's deal makes this one look better by the days)
2019 Habs 3rd rd pick
0.5M retention on Lucic's contract.

MTL:
Lucic, Milan (5 years left at 6M AAV)
2019 2nd round pick
2020 4th round pick

2nd trade:

LA:
Lucic, Milan (Comes in at a 4M AAV for the Kings)
Brook, Josh

MTL:
2019 1st round pick
2020 3rd round pick
1.5M retention on Lucic's contract.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

Many contracts turn out to be bad contracts down the line and everyone plays Monday morning QB but most people saw this train wreck coming down the tracks from day one.

For EDM’s sake maybe he can be a lights out PP presence along with being a modern day enforcer to take some of the sting out of the dumpster fire of a contract.

I am sure he has already tries the “slim down and improve skating” route at this point.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I propose a 3-way trade that would please Lucic (He just bought a house in California I believe and doesn't want to play in Canada anymore.)

1st trade:

EDM:
Shaw, Andrew (4 years left at 3.9M AAV - Wilson's deal makes this one look better by the days)
2019 Habs 3rd rd pick
0.5M retention on Lucic's contract.

MTL:
Lucic, Milan (5 years left at 6M AAV)
2019 2nd round pick
2020 4th round pick

2nd trade:

LA:
Lucic, Milan (Comes in at a 4M AAV for the Kings)
Brook, Josh

MTL:
2019 1st round pick
2020 3rd round pick
1.5M retention on Lucic's contract.

Don't want to move Brook. I'm ok with retaining on him to get value... I would be ok to retain 1.5M for 5 years for a 2nd+3rd... but hey! I'm not Molson... that's 7.5M$ for a 2nd + 3rd lol

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
This is a tough one just because if Lucic stays with the oilers this upcoming year he's going to still have 4 years left on his contract and I don't think teams would want him for 4 years, 3 maybe. I can seriously only see like 3 teams that would take this guy. Montreal,Boston,Vegas.

Reactions: thesensguy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->