A study on the flex of 13 top end sticks

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I came across this a little while ago. It's a study comparing the flex profiles on 13 top end sticks, and the results, if they're accurate, are pretty interesting.

What they did was measure flex starting from the butt end and then moving down the shaft towards the blade. They took the measurements and made graphs, which can be found using this link. http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/hockeyflexprofiles.php

Anyways, the results are pretty telling. For example a Bauer 1X and Warrior QRL have very different graphs even though they're supposed to fill the same performance profile. I love the QRL but I finding it more difficult to use my 1X and this may explain why. It also explains why I've been drawn to the Super Tacks stick. It's graph is more similar to the QRL than the 1X is. Same with the XCore 9.

I was wondering what other's thought. Do the sticks you prefer, if they're one of the 13 measured, have similar graphs or are they completely different?

In case anyone is keely interested, here's a link to a more indepth explanation of what this study did and how they did it. It's got math an formula's and stuff.

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/hockeyflex.php

nuckss

Oct 19, 2006
Interesting but I can't believe they call it the handle end and not the butt end. Most of the Australians I know would love to be able say butt in polite company, grab it by the butt, etc.

Grodon

Apr 9, 2017
Interesting how the QRL came in as a high kickpoint, not low.

From what I gathered from the data table was that QRL is a true low kickpoint.
It had 87 flex at the middle of the shaft, 75 at the 35cm from the bottom, 82 at 55cm, 86 at 75cm, 89 at 95cm, and 100 flex at 115cm.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
From what I gathered from the data table was that QRL is a true low kickpoint.
It had 87 flex at the middle of the shaft, 75 at the 35cm from the bottom, 82 at 55cm, 86 at 75cm, 89 at 95cm, and 100 flex at 115cm.

Actually the measurement starts from the top of the stick. The 35 cm measurement is the butt end measurement, so unless I'm totally out to lunch in how I'm reading things, its graph is what one would expect from a stick like the Super Tacks.

I'm waiting for the Super Tacks stick to go on sale so I can see how it compares to my QRL. I havea XCore 9 which has a similar graph, and does feel a lot closer to the QRL than say my 1X.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Yeah that's the weird part about it. If it was from toe it would make sense, but QRL seems to be completely reverse of what they advertise.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Yeah, it does look weird considering my favourite sticks are from the Warrior QR lineage.

But taking the sticks I own, like the QRL, Xcore9, and 1X, and comparing them. To me, the Xcore9 feels more like the QRL than a 1X. And the 1X feels nothing like the QRL or Xcore9.

I also own a Ribcore 46k which feels a lot like the 1X IMHO. And as it turns out the graphs from their respective lines are similar to each other like the QRL and XCore9 graphs are similar to each other.

It's too bad no one else with comparable sticks has chimed in. It would be cool to hear other people's experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad