TSN: A statistical look at the Penguins vs. Canadiens play-in series

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If you look close enough, that’s journeyman winger Bryan Rust leading the Penguins in Goals Above Replacement contributions.

Huh? Journeyman?

Well, see, he's not Canadian and he doesn't play for an Original Six, so he's clearly no good.

Also, didn't that term used to mean primarily players that bounced around the league? Rust's not really "journeyed" anywhere. :laugh:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Well, see, he's not Canadian and he doesn't play for an Original Six, so he's clearly no good.

Also, didn't that term used to mean primarily players that bounced around the league? Rust's not really "journeyed" anywhere. :laugh:
journey man = a well trained regular experienced player.......a master at his craft.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
journey man = a well trained regular experienced player.......a master at his craft.

I know the old meaning of the word, but I'm pretty sure Rust isn't in a guild. :laugh:

It's just such an odd way of describing him and it goes against the way hockey writers usually use it. :laugh: And no matter how you slice it or quibble with the validity of the sample, being a 1 ppg winger for 55 games is a bit better than being an average top 6 wing in the NHL.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

Squirt hockey, high School, college, WBS and Pittsburgh,

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I know the old meaning of the word, but I'm pretty sure Rust isn't in a guild. :laugh:

It's just such an odd way of describing him and it goes against the way hockey writers usually use it. :laugh: And no matter how you slice it or quibble with the validity of the sample, being a 1 ppg winger for 55 games is a bit better than being an average top 6 wing in the NHL.

Yeah. Former journeyman maybe.

The only other thing to quibble with is their take on Murray and Jarry, which ignores everything the beat writers are saying and also their most recent form (not that it's that relevant by this point).

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

maybe odd here in the us, but very fitting over in europe. is there a hockey guild?:laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Murray will play and even if it's a "short leash", there isn't enough time in a 5 game series for that really to matter. If the Pens go down 0-2 with Murray starting and not playing particularly well, I can see Jarry in net for game 3, but it's very likely too late.

If I'm Sully, I start Murray too, but just making the point that having Jarry as back up likely isn't beneficial in this series unless there is an injury.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Murray will play and even if it's a "short leash", there isn't enough time in a 5 game series for that really to matter. If the Pens go down 0-2 with Murray starting and not playing particularly well, I can see Jarry in net for game 3, but it's very likely too late.

If I'm Sully, I start Murray too, but just making the point that having Jarry as back up likely isn't beneficial in this series unless there is an injury.

Bit of a corner case but the offence can, on a good day, get us through a couple of track meets. Particularly if Price plays poorly too. But corner case. You're likely right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad