A "Star" is Reborn in Florida

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The Florida Panthers held a press conference this morning to introduce their newest acquisition, forward Zach Parise.

Late Tuesday evening Parise was acquired from the Dallas Stars in exchange for Veteran winger Alexei Ponikarovsky, former first overall pick James Van Riemsdyk, and top prospect T.J. Brodie.

"We are absolutely ecstatic to add a player of Zach Parise's caliber to our club," said General Manager Brock Otten at the morning's press conference. "I think many people would agree that we've never really had an elite goal scorer on the wing...at least in the time I've been here. Zach gives us that."

"I'm kind of torn...and quite frankly surprised about the whole thing," said Parise. "I loved playing in Dallas and we had some great success as a team. So I'm sad to leave. However, I'm going to the reigning Eastern Conference champions and I think I'll fit really well into their team dynamic."

Parise has been a 28, 29, and 35 goal scorer in the HFNHL the past three seasons and is on pace for another 30 goal season this year. The biggest question is where does he fit into the team's line up?

"I haven't yet decided where we'll use him. We'll play around with some things in practice and see who he has the best chemistry with," said head coach Todd McLellan.

While McLellan remains hush, many in Florida believe the Panthers will try to put together an all star first line with Mike Richards flanked by Parise and Patrick Sharp. That would leave the newly acquired Andy McDonald centering young scorers James Neal and Matt Moulson.

One thing is for certain, the Panthers may be struggling on the ice right now, but no one in Florida is panicking right now. "A lot of people are going to look at this deal and assume we're getting worried about our poor start. I suppose you could look at it that way if you want, but it's not why we made this trade. We made this trade because it fills in a large organizational weakness of ours. And it's not just a short term fix. We've acquired a legitimate all star scoring winger who can play with the core of this team for quite some time," said Otten.

The Panthers will suit up against the Tampa Bay Lightning today in hopes of snapping the team's current three game losing streak. However Zach Parise isn't likely to make his debut until tomorrow's game against the Hurricanes.

Esteban Santour,
Florida Post

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Damn. I had made some offers for Parise myself, so nice move Brock. With that contract, he is a gem, even if his rating takes a bit of a hit next year.

For Zac, you got a bit more than I offered in the end, so understandable why you went with that offer.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Damn. I had made some offers for Parise myself, so nice move Brock. With that contract, he is a gem, even if his rating takes a bit of a hit next year.

For Zac, you got a bit more than I offered in the end, so understandable why you went with that offer.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of years with both Parise and JVR in the NHL.

Parise, between his injury, free agency and reported desire to leave Jersey, is kind of at a crossroads in his career. It actually might be a good time to move him in the HFNHL, because who knows what kind of value he'll hold next year if things are shaken up. If he ends up on a new team, with a big contract and a surgically repaired knee, he might not thrive. He's a better player than Milan Michalek, but we've seen in Ottawa how the injury + trade combination throws players off.

JVR is also interesting because he hasn't quite hit the ground running yet, but he was in a similar situation in the HFNHL Panthers as he is with the NHL Flyers. Hopefully for Zac he breaks out next year, because at 22 years old, in his third year in the league, it would be the time to do it.

P.S. Am I the only contending team in the Western Conference that never made an offer for Parise?

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
P.S. Am I the only contending team in the Western Conference that never made an offer for Parise?

I think you need to be in the playoffs to be considered a contending team. :sarcasm:

Otherwise...I'm a "contending" team in the West that made an offer for him as well.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton

Haha no you arent the only team but there were alot of offers some good some bad in truth i had all but taken him off the market as trade talks kinda died off then brock approched me with this and took some time to think over and i do like JVR and this will also save me cap space for the next many years which will go to super star Johnathan Toews.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Very interesting deal. I guess it comes down to what you think JVR's ceiling is, because Parise's a stud.

As a Flyers fan, one of the biggest concerns I've always had with JVR is his motivation level. If he can't find that next level under a guy like Laviolette, then he'll never find it anywhere. Time will tell.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site

I had some discussions about Parise as well. Surprised at what he went for. Hope it works out for both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad