Books: A Song of Ice and Fire *SPOILERS* Part XV

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
The show is laughable now. Jon and Danys plot armor is so ridiculously thick I have no worries ever of them dying. And forcing this romance on is so dumb way too quick.

you'll probably want to avoid WoW and DoS if you're looking for Jon and Dany to die and not bone

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I didn't think I would ever see any scene in this show that surpassed, in terms of sheer stupidity, that one time when the guerrillas blew up the main harbor of a large city in broad daylight with no witnesses, and no one thought this was odd- least of all the one guy in Westeros/Essos that had done anything remotely similar to that.

But....wow...that ending sequence.

Arya v Sansa doesn't really work, less because it's so obviously manufactured (like, why isn't Sansa's explanation, "And they said they would beat me if I didn't write it!" good enough? 'Cause we need conflict!), but more because both of these characters moved on from Ned's death, like, years ago. If you were going to do this, you needed to make it more obvious that Arya blames Sansa (because that's better than blaming yourself for your own powerlessness) rather than dropping it for 5 seasons.

you'll probably want to avoid WoW and DoS if you're looking for Jon and Dany to die and not bone

"bend the knee"

"no"

*spends two more episodes simmering angrily*

"Jon has hypothermia? Quick, remove his wet cloth- ZOMG LOOK AT THOSE PECS"

ah to be young and in love

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I'm sure Gurm will handle the resurrection of Jon a lot smoother than they did in the show though. He won't have Davos hilariously forcing it and saying to Mel "You must know some... magic *wink wink*"

Like Davos has never met Beric Dondarrion so unless Gendry told him about it off-screen how the hell would he know she could possibly do that? :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Jon bent the knee because he wants to **** her. She is going to make him his king because she wants it back.

These two want to bone. And they are going to bone in the books too (if they ever actually exist)

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Jon bent the knee because he wants to **** her. She is going to make him his king because she wants it back.

These two want to bone. And they are going to bone in the books too (if they ever actually exist)

Gurm has probably already written that sex scene, say what you want about him, all the food description is made up for with his sex scenes, Gurm writes some good sex scenes.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Jon and Dany falling in love is fine as long as it's a believable romance. The evidence we have available also strongly suggests that Dany will die because of this romance in some way (childbirth, most likely).

But Jon and Dany's romance is the last thing to worry about in the show right now. This season has played out like a bad rough draft. I'm glad D&D are taking their time to hammer out season eight. Otherwise this show end up like Lost.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I just wish they would establish an actual reason for these two characters to like each other rather than the Hollywood standard of minimum effort- two hot people on the screen are going to fall in love for no reason given in particular.

A scene where Jon and Dany talk about and connect over something, because thus far, the most intimate moment has been:

Dany: "I think you're full of crap, but you can mine dragonglass here, I don't care"
Jon: "Thank you"

Talk about how they were both betrayed and left by those sworn to them. Or how they're both outsiders looking in. Or how they both had to murder their lovers. Some kind of connection, not *and then Dany saw Jon's chiseled, scarred six-pack and suddenly felt a tugging in her loins*.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I just wish they would establish an actual reason for these two characters to like each other rather than the Hollywood standard of minimum effort- two hot people on the screen are going to fall in love for no reason given in particular.

A scene where Jon and Dany talk about and connect over something, because thus far, the most intimate moment has been:

Dany: "I think you're full of crap, but you can mine dragonglass here, I don't care"
Jon: "Thank you"

Talk about how they were both betrayed and left by those sworn to them. Or how they're both outsiders looking in. Or how they both had to murder their lovers. Some kind of connection, not *and then Dany saw Jon's chiseled, scarred six-pack and suddenly felt a tugging in her loins*.

It must be GSA.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The story absolutely needed the time jump he originally planned.

Honestly I am fine with the show biting the bullet and doing some illogical things just to free the plot of the absolute mess GRRM left it in.

Why I get annoyed when show people are like "it isn't as good because they ran out of material".

No it has problems because GRRM wrote a garbage book (Feast) and a meh book in Dance and left it at that because he can't even figure out how to fix it.

This is ridiculous.

The most widely praised plot turns of the show - what made the show the phenomenon it is - came straight from GRRM. Red Wedding, Ned's death, Tower of Joy, etc.

The most widely criticized - the needless sexposition in the early seasons, Dorne, Ros, Sansa's rape - are all D&D concoctions.

How can you not see this? When D&D are left on their own, the show suffers. This has been proven time and time again.

Edit: and just to be clear, I LIKE the show. I think D&D have done a really remarkable job adapting this story. I think the general "spectacle" of this season has been highly entertaining and fun. But there's no excusing the leaps in character logic, the bad decisions, and plot contrivances. It's textbook bad writing.

Last edited:

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
Gurm has probably already written that sex scene, say what you want about him, all the food description is made up for with his sex scenes, Gurm writes some good sex scenes.

Except when you listen to Roy Dotrice. Those Asha Greyjoy chapters were hard to listen to.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This is ridiculous.

The most widely praised plot turns of the show - what made the show the phenomenon it is - came straight from GRRM. Red Wedding, Ned's death, Tower of Joy, etc.

The most widely criticized - the needless sexposition in the early seasons, Dorne, Ros, Sansa's rape - are all D&D concoctions.

How can you not see this? When D&D are left on their own, the show suffers. This has been proven time and time again.

Edit: and just to be clear, I LIKE the show. I think D&D have done a really remarkable job adapting this story. I think the general "spectacle" of this season has been highly entertaining and fun. But there's no excusing the leaps in character logic, the bad decisions, and plot contrivances. It's textbook bad writing.

Currently the most acclaimed episodes of the show are Hardhome, Battle of the ********, and The Winds of Winter.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Currently the most acclaimed episodes of the show are Hardhome, Battle of the ********, and The Winds of Winter.

D&D have proven repeatedly that they can knock'em down when the story is set-up properly. When left to themselves to build-up a story, they do a poor job of building the foundation and then rush to the big finish.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

And?

Hardhome and the Battle of the ******** were action heavy episodes set up in DwD. R+L=J, the major reveal in Winds of Winter, has been set up since Clash of Kings.

Full marks to D&D for the Sept of Baelor explosion and resolution. Also full marks for the Spoils of War episode this season.

I fail to see how this is a compelling counter point.

And it still doesn't address the awful storytelling in episodes five and six of this season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
And?

Hardhome and the Battle of the ******** were action heavy episodes set up in DwD. R+L=J, the major reveal in Winds of Winter, has been set up since Clash of Kings.

Full marks to D&D for the Sept of Baelor explosion and resolution. Also full marks for the Spoils of War episode this season.

I fail to see how this is a compelling counter point.

And it still doesn't address the awful storytelling in episodes five and six of this season.

You said the most widely praised plot turns of the show all came directly from GRRM. This is completely untrue.

Hardhome doesn't really exist in the book in the same manner since Jon wasn't there, and Battle of the ******** hasn't even been built to really since Stannis is maybe still fighting the Boltons.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto

Dont agree with that at all its more like these episodes are more fresh on peoples minds and 2 of those episode are just battle episodes with minimal plot and I dont credit D&D with those being good, that was all Miguel Sapochnik.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
D&D have proven repeatedly that they can knock'em down when the story is set-up properly. When left to themselves to build-up a story, they do a poor job of building the foundation and then rush to the big finish.

I never argued otherwise and that isn't what the post I responded to even said. GRRM is obviously the better world builder, but give D&D the credit they deserve and don't claim GRRM is responsible for all the best moments on the show, because he isn't.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Dont agree with that at all its more like these episodes are more fresh on peoples minds and 2 of those episode are just battle episodes with minimal plot and I dont credit D&D with those being good, that was all Miguel Sapochnik.

How convenient. The hoops some of you will jump through to maintain book/GRRM purity is unbelievable. Hardhome is over two years old now and still one of the most acclaimed episodes from critics and fans. The other two I named are over a year old and same thing. How much time is acceptable to call the acclaim official?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
You said the most widely praised plot turns of the show all came directly from GRRM. This is completely untrue.

Hardhome doesn't really exist in the book in the same manner since Jon wasn't there, and Battle of the ******** hasn't even been built to really since Stannis is maybe still fighting the Boltons.

"Dead things in the water" and the Pink Letter disagree. These events are being built toward in the books. Jon is literally leaving Castle Black with the wildlings to go after Ramsay when he's assassinated.

I'm not denying the action spectacles of Hardhome and BotB. D&D deserve all the credit in the world for executing these set pieces.

But as another poster said, when left on their own to plot from the ground up, they fall short.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Most people don't have their heads so far up George's ass that they can see other writers can actually write good things (shocking) and GRRM can actually write **** (scandal!)

Oh, please. You sound like a child here.

There's plenty to criticize George about. I've never denied this. I've also given credit to D&D for the plot points they've nailed.

When people fail to criticize the very obvious plot contrivances of this season, it's not George fans who have their heads up an ass.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
How convenient. The hoops some of you will jump through to maintain book/GRRM purity is unbelievable. Hardhome is over two years old now and still one of the most acclaimed episodes from critics and fans. The other two I named are over a year old and same thing. How much time is acceptable to call the acclaim official?

The hoops some of you will go to be completely overlook all the faults of the show is unbelievable. I am not doubting 2 of the 3 are good episodes but most acclaimed is a stretch and is purely your opinion which your trying to claim as fact.

I am not trying to claim the last 2 books were great but also not going to turn off my brain and call the last 2 seasons anything better then mediocre to terrible at times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad