News Article: A smart way to keep NHL teams from tanking for the draft

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
the downside Scotto is that this idea is far too progressive and intelligent for Bettman and Co. to adopt;)

thats about the only downside I can think of as well. really intersting and would make for some good hockey down the stretch instead of teams giving up.

The only thing I can see is it might makes even less trades happen around the deadline because teams don't want to get worse if they are out of the playoff picture so there will be less sellers.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Not sure it works logistically if 24 or 25 teams have a shot at making the playoffs very late into the season. Its a great idea if its clear who 10-12 teams that are going to miss them are early on but that won't always be the case.

Remember if you gave all non playoff teams 1-14 in the draft equal chances of picking #1 a lot of teams like the Celtics right now would do everything in their power to finish 9th instead of 8th. That would be a disaster watching teams try to avoid the playoffs and players try and get out on the golf course sooner.

If you are trying to control how the 5-6 teams in the league with no chance in hell to win or remain competitive conduct themselves I guess this is fine.

I personally just make teams like Philly in NBA and Edmonton in NHL automatically pick outside the top 5 if they have had 2 top 5 picks in a row. Make a rule you can't pick top 3 or 5 more than 3 times in a 5 year span and never 3 years in a row.

Just make awful franchises take a year off of picking top 5 as punishment and tell them they are guaranteed 6th or worse in the upcoming draft so they have to win. Downside to that is that if they picked #1 overall the previous year they might feel they need to tank totally the next year because year 3 they can't get a good pick.

So maybe you just make lottery teams pick 2-3 spots lower than they did the year before?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Awful idea.

Preciously mentioned problems with the trade deadline. Parity in the league (true or manufactured) has resulted in most teams being in the playoff much longer than expected, thus rendering the amount of games affected by this change to minimal. And with every team dropping out of the playoff race at different points in the season you:

A) void the purpose of the competition as teams with 12 more games to gather points will quite likely end up with a greater number of them
and
B) encourage teams to gain that advantage by being out of the playoff race the earliest. ie. TANKING

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

Awful idea.

Preciously mentioned problems with the trade deadline. Parity in the league (true or manufactured) has resulted in most teams being in the playoff much longer than expected, thus rendering the amount of games affected by this change to minimal. And with every team dropping out of the playoff race at different points in the season you:

A) void the purpose of the competition as teams with 12 more games to gather points will quite likely end up with a greater number of them
and
B) encourage teams to gain that advantage by being out of the playoff race the earliest. ie. TANKING

I agree, plus when they go based on tht entire season all the teams are on a level playing field as far as home games vs away games.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
tanking doesnt bother me at all

Me either. Look at teams besides Pittsburgh that got a high pick. It takes a lot more than one player. Even Crosby needed help. Look at Edmonton, hasn't worked for them and they got Hall. I'm not informed enough on the top two kids to be taken, but if they aren't generational players, then the team still needs a lot of work. The GM needs to put a team together still. That takes time. To me let them tank, who cares.

Cougar Saucy

Dec 2, 2013
I like the idea, but:

Say a team like Buffalo is playing a team like Boston. Both are looking to get 2 points for 2 different reasons. What if Buffalo plays a bit more physical than Boston in that game and injures one of the Bruins' star players? Buffalo wins and has a better shot at a top pick and Boston loses and misses an opportunity to make the playoffs. Oh and they have middle of the pack type of pick.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I like the idea, but:

Say a team like Buffalo is playing a team like Boston. Both are looking to get 2 points for 2 different reasons. What if Buffalo plays a bit more physical than Boston in that game and injures one of the Bruins' star players? Buffalo wins and has a better shot at a top pick and Boston loses and misses an opportunity to make the playoffs. Oh and they have middle of the pack type of pick.

That happens every game. Injuries and being more physical than the other team.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
The worst teams in the league throughout the season - Buffalo, Arizona, Oilers etc.
The worst teams in the league at the end of the season, 'post-tanking' - Buffalo, Arizona, Oilers etc.

It makes little difference. It's not like the Flyers or Sharks are suddenly bottom of the league or something.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
I have a couple ideas;

1) I think the first 10 draft picks should be "lotterized" - same system as we have now, but by having a lottery for more picks that gives the teams that just barely don't make the playoffs the ability to land a decent pick in the draft. Currently, the team that finishes 17th overall, being the best of the non-playoff teams, is the team that gets shafted the hardest. Give them 10 lotteries as a chance to improve that position. As a team wins a pick via lottery, the percentages continue to rise for the other teams by virtue of less teams left in the lottery.

2) Equal percentage lottery for all non-playoff teams. You can only go down one spot, but every non-playoff team has an equal chance at the #1 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad