Recalled/Assigned: A slew of moves

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
You can't just LTIR him, he needs to have an injury. Being bad at hockey isn't an injury unfortunately.

I understand that, players get nagging injuries as the years go on. Some become allergic to hockey equipment, some have bad hips and backs... I find it hard to believe players like Lupul, Hossa, Zetterberg and many others couldn't have found ways to play partial seasons. If the health is even a little questionable and they want the contract gone, I believe team doctors find ways to make it legit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I understand that, players get nagging injuries as the years go on. Some become allergic to hockey equipment, some have bad hips and backs... I find it hard to believe players like Lupul, Hossa, Zetterberg and many others couldn't have found ways to play partial seasons. If the health is even a little questionable and they want the contract gone, I believe team doctors find ways to make it legit.

Do you really think Zetterberg belongs on that list? He had his back fused and was flunked by two outside consultants... Zetterberg's injury history on the back wasn't exactly breaking news. Heck he had maintained he was hoping to play into the summer and wasn't able to continue. He is the legitimate reason for LTIR which wasn't even really an issue until they retroactively hit his contract anyway which was bogus.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Do you really think Zetterberg belongs on that list? He had his back fused and was flunked by two outside consultants... Zetterberg's injury history on the back wasn't exactly breaking news. Heck he had maintained he was hoping to play into the summer and wasn't able to continue. He is the legitimate reason for LTIR which wasn't even really an issue until they retroactively hit his contract anyway which was bogus.

Not the best example, but I'm confident he could have played in some capacity. Not stating he was anywhere close to 100 percent, just stating the LTIR lists across the league have had players with such varying degrees of injuries that as a player ages and there contracts become undesirable it becomes increasingly easy to place them there.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014

When did he have his back fused? He had a diskectomy in 2014. Red Wings captain Zetterberg has back surgery
According to Holland in 2018 "Nothing can be done, no back surgery, no rehab, no more time off is going to have any positive impact. Obviously if he plays professional hockey, it's going to accelerate the degeneration and if he does get a bad hit or something, then he's risking a significant back surgery. Henrik has decided that his quality of life is more important than taking the risk of back surgery."

So I've found nothing about having a back fusion. He may end up with one in the future, but it hasn't happened yet.

He played in all 82 games in all three seasons from 2016-2018. He logged more minutes total those 3 years than anyone else on the Wings. In 2018 he logged more minutes than everyone but Dylan Larkin. 21st among all forwards in the NHL in 2018.
So excuse us if we're a bit skeptical of his total inability to play.

At the same time, I don't think anybody doubts the severity of his back injury and can completely understand him not wanting to continue and it would have been utterly ridiculous for the league to not allow him to be on LTIR with those documented back problems.

However this all was true when he was playing in every single game the previous 3 seasons. He was a warrior and battled through, perhaps foolishly even. He could've tried to do it again, but at some point enough is enough. Nobody could blame him for hanging them up.

Reactions: saska sault

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
When did he have his back fused? He had a diskectomy in 2014. Red Wings captain Zetterberg has back surgery
According to Holland in 2018 "Nothing can be done, no back surgery, no rehab, no more time off is going to have any positive impact. Obviously if he plays professional hockey, it's going to accelerate the degeneration and if he does get a bad hit or something, then he's risking a significant back surgery. Henrik has decided that his quality of life is more important than taking the risk of back surgery."

So I've found nothing about having a back fusion. He may end up with one in the future, but it hasn't happened yet.

He played in all 82 games in all three seasons from 2016-2018. He logged more minutes total those 3 years than anyone else on the Wings. In 2018 he logged more minutes than everyone but Dylan Larkin. 21st among all forwards in the NHL in 2018.

At the same time, I don't think anybody doubts the severity of his back injury and can completely understand him not wanting to continue and it would have been utterly ridiculous for the league to not allow him to be on LTIR with those documented back problems.

However this all was true when he was playing in every single game the previous 3 seasons. He was a warrior and battled through, perhaps foolishly even. He could've tried to do it again, but at some point enough is enough. Nobody could blame him for hanging them up.

That is also my opinion, in short.. He played through pain, was a warrior but if this team was any where close to contention I imagine he would on the roster, even if it's only playing 50 games a year. With no playoffs in sight and the risk of doing further damage and hurting his quality of life after hockey.. What was the point. Hand the keys to the kids and step into a new role in hockey and a new chapter in his life.

Reactions: TheClap

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Zetterberg belongs there.
Sure, he had legit back issues. Most veteran hockey players have 2-3 pet issues they could retire with.
But Z himself admitted the idea was that he'd not play those last years and the contract was meant to "fool the cap" or whatever.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Disketomy often involve fusion, sorry not a spinal surgeon. The point is he has a very bad pre-existing condition one we can say he never really truly looked that same after suffering either. He found a new normal and was still a wonderful player, but he doesn't belong with the equipment allergy guy or the player that had out there publicly that he could still play again. He was flunked by an outside physician and hadn't been able to practice for the last four months of the season or ultimately begin his off-season workout.

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Zetterberg belongs there.
Sure, he had legit back issues. Most veteran hockey players have 2-3 pet issues they could retire with.
But Z himself admitted the idea was that he'd not play those last years and the contract was meant to "fool the cap" or whatever.

Z's back injury wasn't a "pet" issue.

Reactions: ridilon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->