Recalled/Assigned: A slew of moves

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
With AA playing tonight, someone has to be sent back to GR today to get back down to 23.

My bet is on Kuffner.

Stevie just freed up $10M in cap space by putting Z and Mule on LTIR again..... lets use up some of that cap space that should go unused, and use it to send messages to Helm and Abby. send them both down to the AHL for a 2 week conditioning stint and remind them what it would be like to be back in the AHL at this stage of their careers. Play Svech and one of Ras/Veleno/Zadina in their spots.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Stevie just freed up $10M in cap space by putting Z and Mule on LTIR again..... lets use up some of that cap space that should go unused, and use it to send messages to Helm and Abby. send them both down to the AHL for a 2 week conditioning stint and remind them what it would be like to be back in the AHL at this stage of their careers. Play Svech and one of Ras/Veleno/Zadina in their spots.
Well.. you can't do that. There has to be a good reason to send them down and it has to be cleared by the Commissioner. Using the reason of "they suck", isn't a valid reason, unfortunately.

Reactions: kliq and ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

When you send guys down for conditioning, they stay on the 23 man roster and they still count against the cap. They wouldn't be able to recall anybody else unless they have enough guys on IR. Hypothetically sending down Abdelkader and Helm would cause more of a headache for GR since they'd have to juggle scratching 2 of Ford, Lashoff, McIlrath, Terry, Puempel or Elson for a couple weeks to get the two conditioning vets into the line-up.

Players also have to consent to a conditioning loan, so Yzerman would have to get their permission first. "Hey guys, is it OK if I send you to Grand Rapids, so you can see what it's like to play in the AHL again?"

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Normally I'd agree with you as a fellow risk taker, but the last 2 TDL's he's been injured or sick. While he'd have had to waive for this past TDL, it became a moot point. Tampa & Wash. were his only desired destinations.

Well if thats still true I doubt either team has the capspace to acquire him.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
When you send guys down for conditioning, they stay on the 23 man roster and they still count against the cap. They wouldn't be able to recall anybody else unless they have enough guys on IR. Hypothetically sending down Abdelkader and Helm would cause more of a headache for GR since they'd have to juggle scratching 2 of Ford, Lashoff, McIlrath, Terry, Puempel or Elson for a couple weeks to get the two conditioning vets into the line-up.

Players also have to consent to a conditioning loan, so Yzerman would have to get their permission first. "Hey guys, is it OK if I send you to Grand Rapids, so you can see what it's like to play in the AHL again?"

Well.. you can't do that. There has to be a good reason to send them down and it has to be cleared by the Commissioner. Using the reason of "they suck", isn't a valid reason, unfortunately.

Surely you guys know he doesn't really mean a conditioning stint. He just wants them to hit the AHL for a couple of weeks to get hungry for the NHL. Which is in no way a problem.

Reactions: Hugh Mongusbig

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Well if thats still true I doubt either team has the capspace to acquire him.

eh I wouldn't be so sure all it takes is a long term injury or two

obviously it's no guarantee but it really doesn't take a ton to afford a rental at the deadline,Pittsburgh has no cap space but just lost Malkin for a month and would probably have about enough for a Green just from that now for example

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Why yikes? Because I don’t find myself hoping players get hurt and find their way to the IR. Not saying I’m not happy for Svechnikov to get his chance, but you hope it comes from him forcing the issue rather than someone else getting injured.

Well neither do I but it doesn’t stop them from getting injured. It’s the nature of the sport and now we get to bring even more of our younger and more talented players up

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Normally I'd agree with you as a fellow risk taker, but the last 2 TDL's he's been injured or sick. While he'd have had to waive for this past TDL, it became a moot point. Tampa & Wash. were his only desired destinations.

No thanks.

Getting only a second for green as opposed to taking the risk of him getting injured and having our best Dman on the team and an actual still talented get to mentor our younger D..I’ll take the second option

Reactions: kliq

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

The market is just too small this time of year. The return is destine to be smaller.

Reactions: kliq

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Surely you guys know he doesn't really mean a conditioning stint. He just wants them to hit the AHL for a couple of weeks to get hungry for the NHL. Which is in no way a problem.
Uh... huh....
300px-Ight_Imma_Head_Out.jpg

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Just to recap:

There's basically two ways to send those guys down, a conditioning loan at their consent and review by the league, or by waivers.

I mean if I'm Darren Helm, I'd rather have the waivers. Get to make my full salary still and as a bonus keep the money that would've been withheld and mostly not returned by Escrow. Play well in GR while secretly hoping Yzerman will just buy me out in June. By then I'll be playing golf in BC with my old buddy Ken Holland knowing that on July 1st he'll be faxing over a contract that'll probably more than make up the $1M in salary I lost in the buyout. :handclap:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Well neither do I but it doesn’t stop them from getting injured. It’s the nature of the sport and now we get to bring even more of our younger and more talented players up

oh I know injuries happen, it’s just unfortunate to see them. And the call ups ended up being worthless because none of them are playing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Kuffner already got his "reward" w/a guaranteed 9gp last season. This may be Kaski's reward/early season look.
Looks like it was just a monetary reward, they both got sent down. Teams will do that as an incentive for future college players to sign with the team.

If the team keeps playing like the first 2 games, I'm sure they'll be able to afford it. I think fans will show up just to watch the top line.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
he could have been traded before injured but holland is too dense to logically think
You're absolutely right. That is why you currently run your second NHL team and Holland only gets to insult random people on the internet...

Gruß,
BSHH

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The stuff I remember from the 2018 deadline with Green was:

-His injury limited some interest
-Toronto was interested in him, but he did not want to go to there (and I don't blame him) and had a full NTC to block a potential trade
-He was basically "Plan C" for Yzerman in Tampa if they were unable to get Karlsson or McDonagh. When they got McDonagh, they no longer had interest in Green
-He had already pretty much expressed that he intended to extend in Detroit if they wanted him back

====
As for the recalls. I'm guessing while GR has a few days off, they want a forward to play if AA is still out this week (Svechnikov), Biega is likely in the mix for #6/7D while Daley and Ericsson are out, and Kuffner and Kaski are warm bodies in case all 4 NHL roster guys are out somebody else gets sick or tweaks something before tonight's game or Thursday's in Montreal. Kind of smart to go with Kaski and Kuffner while GR isn't playing as they get a little NHL money and days spent on the roster won't count toward them needing to eventually be waived like it would with Lashoff/McIlrath/Hicketts/Terry/Puempel/Elson/Turgeon/etc.

I'm guessing Kuffner and Kaski probably go back to GR on Friday, Svechnikov goes back either when AA or Nielsen get healthy and Biega is around until both Daley and Ericsson are healthy.

Another factor being we were lead to believe Mike Green also didn't have any desire to waive his NTC until closer to the deadline. You know because he has a wife and small child living in Detroit. While a long cup run would make that three to four months away, the December trade people fantasize about would have needed Green's approval and a desire to be gone for 5 to 6 months. He offered his couple of destinations up, they also needed to wait on taking on his contract in most of these options because of their cap space. It is easy to say shoot him to Tampa before Christmas but Green had to be willing and the acquiring team had to have the space to get it done that early.

After covering all of that we will land on but Green shouldn't have a NTC. Whatever it is the revisionist history stuff that can get pretty easy, especially when you enter the argument absent most of the real world factors with the idea your premise of what should of happened is the only conceivable course of action and everyone else that doesn't see it that way has screwed the pooch...

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
No thanks.

Getting only a second for green as opposed to taking the risk of him getting injured and having our best Dman on the team and an actual still talented get to mentor our younger D..I’ll take the second option
If you go back to my 1st post in this thread Re: Green, a 2nd & 4th, not for just a 2nd, but I see your point.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
oh I know injuries happen, it’s just unfortunate to see them. And the call ups ended up being worthless because none of them are playing.

Ahh, yeah. I was just saying I wouldn’t wish injuries on any of our players.

I’m a little worried about Nielsen, that looked brutal. Not to mention his concussion history, yikes.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Really hate all this lumping of Helm with Abdelkader. Helm is still a good NHL player, who is good at what he does. He is a good forechecker even if a little slower now, and still does good things many shifts. Abdelkader does nothing on pretty much every shift. Helm still belongs in the NHL while Abby doesn't. Helm isn't here for offence, never was.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Really hate all this lumping of Helm with Abdelkader. Helm is still a good NHL player, who is good at what he does. He is a good forechecker even if a little slower now, and still does good things many shifts. Abdelkader does nothing on pretty much every shift. Helm still belongs in the NHL while Abby doesn't. Helm isn't here for offence, never was.

Helm makes almost 4 million a year and doesn't even play Center anymore

his contract may not be as bad as Abdelkader's but he's absolutely there for offense to an extent

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Dude, Helm looks like he's taken another step back. He played 9 mins tonight. Didn't even PK, Abby spent 3 mins killing penalties.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Just to recap:

There's basically two ways to send those guys down, a conditioning loan at their consent and review by the league, or by waivers.

I mean if I'm Darren Helm, I'd rather have the waivers. Get to make my full salary still and as a bonus keep the money that would've been withheld and mostly not returned by Escrow. Play well in GR while secretly hoping Yzerman will just buy me out in June. By then I'll be playing golf in BC with my old buddy Ken Holland knowing that on July 1st he'll be faxing over a contract that'll probably more than make up the $1M in salary I lost in the buyout. :handclap:

My bad, must have stumbled onto the one person in the world that has never used the wrong terminology.

Carry on Mr. Perfect

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think last night either Ken or Trevor explained that the Kaski and Kuffner recalls had to do with getting the most relief possible from putting Zetterberg and Franzen on LTIR.

Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->