Recalled/Assigned: A slew of moves

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
green was a known injury waiting to happen and having a good season . deadline or earlier he had good value . mean while retaining him for the next season was of no use to us . should have been moved weeks before that injury but hollands too dense .

Can you cite any reports of trades Holland turned down in these months prior to the TDL? If he’s being offered 4th round picks two month starts out, dense is hardly the right word to describe him. Now to be clear, I’m not saying that he was offered that, my entire point is that what was or wasn’t offered is pure speculation, unless there are reputable reports out there that I am unaware of.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
green was a known injury waiting to happen and having a good season . deadline or earlier he had good value . mean while retaining him for the next season was of no use to us . should have been moved weeks before that injury but hollands too dense .

So if Ken Holland had a trade lined up on January 23rd for example, but Mike Green got hurt just moments before that trade, nixing the deal, is Holland dense? What if he had a trade lined up weeks before like you said, but the injury nixed it, is Holland dense? Or is it far more likely that you are making up nonsense?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
True statement, but it may be wise to get a 2nd & 4th? now, vs. taking the risk of getting nothing again, should Green be ill/injured @TDL. In a "tank" year, might as well get it while you can & let Kaski/Bowey/Cholo/Biega get their NHL gp. Play 7D in road games & against top teams at home so the kids don't get beat up too badly.

It might be smarter to take the 2nd now but I would rather take the risk. This looks to be another strong draft and I want us to have 2 first round picks.

Reactions: hkydave04

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Why yikes?

I’m loving it except for AA possibly being out long term

Why yikes? Because I don’t find myself hoping players get hurt and find their way to the IR. Not saying I’m not happy for Svechnikov to get his chance, but you hope it comes from him forcing the issue rather than someone else getting injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Why yikes? Because I don’t find myself hoping players get hurt and find their way to the IR. Not saying I’m not happy for Svechnikov to get his chance, but you hope it comes from him forcing the issue rather than someone else getting injured.

boy are you following the wrong team

you should know by now that Wings prospects getting called up doesn't tend to have a ton to do with merit

sometimes they "force the issue" and stay up when it's time for them to go back down but callups tend to be much more about injuries and it being your turn

Reactions: Flowah

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Hopefully svech is with Fil. Throw AA with them when hes back. Maybe those 3 can give us some secondary scoring we badly need.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
boy are you following the wrong team

you should know by now that Wings prospects getting called up doesn't tend to have a ton to do with merit

sometimes they "force the issue" and stay up when it's time for them to go back down but callups tend to be much more about injuries and it being your turn

Too early this morning to deal with your nonsense. I said I’d rather a player get called up for good reasons rather than at the expense of someone getting hurt. If you disagree, you’re kind of an asshole. There is nothing else to be discussed.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
You can shop him all you want.

He still has a full NTC until February, where it downgrades to a partial NTC.

Feels like the 4th time Detroit be 'shopping' Green and for one reason or another its not meant to happen.

Perhaps it was Green's destiny to be a Red Wing, afterall it was the pick Wings sent for Lang that Washington acquired him. Simply put your tinfoil hat on, and get inside the box.

Because a player with a full NTC has never been traded before...

Blueliner70

Mar 16, 2018
It is clear the play is to shelter, Seider, Veleno and Zadina in the minors this season. Which is the right move.

Reactions: Ulysses31

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Too early this morning to deal with your nonsense. I said I’d rather a player get called up for good reasons rather than at the expense of someone getting hurt. If you disagree, you’re kind of an *******. There is nothing else to be discussed.

and I want a trillion dollars and my own aircraft carrier

unfortunately we both have to live in reality

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
The Red Wings also officially put Franzen and Zetterberg on LTIR, which means 10M more is available on their cap.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
The Red Wings also officially put Franzen and Zetterberg on LTIR, which means 10M more is available on their cap.
If you listened to any of Yzerman's interviews, I seriously doubt that will be spent in the near future.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
and I want a trillion dollars and my own aircraft carrier

unfortunately we both have to live in reality

Unfortunately I live in a reality where you enjoy replying and adding nothing to the conversation. Let's move on.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
So if Ken Holland had a trade lined up on January 23rd for example, but Mike Green got hurt just moments before that trade, nixing the deal, is Holland dense? What if he had a trade lined up weeks before like you said, but the injury nixed it, is Holland dense? Or is it far more likely that you are making up nonsense?
ive nothing negative at all to say about ken holland the person , and ive alot of respect for how he ran the organization . but imo his asset managment and drafting was real bad . and the day he traded our 1st for kfq sealed the deal . the 'we were going for it' statement later on really sealed the deal when it became clear he figured bottom pairing kfq would make that mediocre roster a contender . and by the time we got to the green time frame mentioned here i was calling for green to be traded in december as he was healthy and having a good season . and i guarantee he would have got a solid return then if we retained / took back a bad contract as there were teams needing help to make playoffs besides big gun contenders. and 'making nonsense up' is you making nonsense up to push your opinion here as obviously i made no claims, but very obviously teams make trades and there were no doubt teams with interest in green then

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
and the day he traded our 1st for kfq sealed the deal . the 'we were going for it' statement later on really sealed the deal when it became clear he figured bottom pairing kfq would make that mediocre roster a contender .
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Lidstrom
Franzen
Kronwall
Stuart

...to name a few

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
ive nothing negative at all to say about ken holland the person , and ive alot of respect for how he ran the organization . but imo his asset managment and drafting was real bad . and the day he traded our 1st for kfq sealed the deal . the 'we were going for it' statement later on really sealed the deal when it became clear he figured bottom pairing kfq would make that mediocre roster a contender . and by the time we got to the green time frame mentioned here i was calling for green to be traded in december as he was healthy and having a good season . and i guarantee he would have got a solid return then if we retained / took back a bad contract as there were teams needing help to make playoffs besides big gun contenders. and 'making nonsense up' is you making nonsense up to push your opinion here as obviously i made no claims, but very obviously teams make trades and there were no doubt teams with interest in green then

We were the best team in the league in early February and had just set a home winning streak record. Howard went down but was expected back. Datsyuk, Helm and Lidstrom went down after the deadline. We never recovered, plus Trots coached circles around Babs in that series. Still remember NBCSN and TSN labelling our D-core the best in the league entering the playoffs as it had Quincey on the third pair who was a top 4 dman at the time and protected Stuart's well rumored departure. It made sense at the time he did it. That trade has evolved in to something else down the road which is fine hindsight is 20/20, actual Gms don't have that luxury in the moment. Which is how most of these Holland points are made and why I don't have a ton of time for them. Why wouldn't we have been a buyer then? We should have been, we blew our division lead and our all world coach got depantsed, hard to see that coming.

Reactions: Oddbob and izlez

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
ive nothing negative at all to say about ken holland the person , and ive alot of respect for how he ran the organization . but imo his asset managment and drafting was real bad . and the day he traded our 1st for kfq sealed the deal . the 'we were going for it' statement later on really sealed the deal when it became clear he figured bottom pairing kfq would make that mediocre roster a contender .

You must hate him trading down and getting Mantha and Bertuzzi from same draft?

Other object on the 2012 trade deadline was Paul Gaustad. We were more after him (than Quincey), but Buffalo thought Nashville's 1st would be higher at season end.

It's funny how it went, after we did fall in the standings thanks to injuries and finally that Nashville 1st was lower than Detroit's.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The stuff I remember from the 2018 deadline with Green was:

-His injury limited some interest
-Toronto was interested in him, but he did not want to go to there (and I don't blame him) and had a full NTC to block a potential trade
-He was basically "Plan C" for Yzerman in Tampa if they were unable to get Karlsson or McDonagh. When they got McDonagh, they no longer had interest in Green
-He had already pretty much expressed that he intended to extend in Detroit if they wanted him back

====
As for the recalls. I'm guessing while GR has a few days off, they want a forward to play if AA is still out this week (Svechnikov), Biega is likely in the mix for #6/7D while Daley and Ericsson are out, and Kuffner and Kaski are warm bodies in case all 4 NHL roster guys are out somebody else gets sick or tweaks something before tonight's game or Thursday's in Montreal. Kind of smart to go with Kaski and Kuffner while GR isn't playing as they get a little NHL money and days spent on the roster won't count toward them needing to eventually be waived like it would with Lashoff/McIlrath/Hicketts/Terry/Puempel/Elson/Turgeon/etc.

I'm guessing Kuffner and Kaski probably go back to GR on Friday, Svechnikov goes back either when AA or Nielsen get healthy and Biega is around until both Daley and Ericsson are healthy.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It might be smarter to take the 2nd now but I would rather take the risk. This looks to be another strong draft and I want us to have 2 first round picks.
Normally I'd agree with you as a fellow risk taker, but the last 2 TDL's he's been injured or sick. While he'd have had to waive for this past TDL, it became a moot point. Tampa & Wash. were his only desired destinations.

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
I'm guessing Kuffner and Kaski probably go back to GR on Friday, Svechnikov goes back either when AA or Nielsen get healthy and Biega is around until both Daley and Ericsson are healthy.

With AA playing tonight, someone has to be sent back to GR today to get back down to 23.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad