A SERIOUS DEBATE: SCOTT DARLING...??!!

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Giving up rebounds is not always bad, but with rebound control what Darling has it is bad.

I think that's a big issue. A lot of Peters' system relies on controlling the puck. For a goaltender, that means freezing the puck whenever possible and controlling the rebound when you can't.

Could explain why Darling isn't performing as well as hoped.

Reactions: Breakdowns

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I think that's a big issue. A lot of Peters' system relies on controlling the puck. For a goaltender, that means freezing the puck whenever possible and controlling the rebound when you can't.

yeah, how many goals has he given up where he didn't control a simple unscreened shot from the point, then someone in front of the net just gets an easy rebound tap-in. abandoning the guy in front might be a systematic thing to create numbers in transition?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Well another thing is the ability to make saves on rebounds. Crawford has very bad rebound control but he makes up for it by making insane saves daily. Kinda similar to Dubnyk, but the Wild help Dubnyk immensely. Like wise Rinne is an elite rebound controller, but he isn't that good at stopping rebound shots.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Against Columbus, the Canes were playing the 2nd half of a back-to-back and it showed; Carolina was too tired to own the puck. There were a handful of offensive bursts, but otherwise, Columbus controlled the play. The Canes sagged back in the defensive zone and clamped down on the Jackets, keeping the shots to the outside and the rush chances to a minimum. The Canes won 2-1 and Darling was the 1st star.

Fast forward to Toronto, the Canes were rested and went back to the playing the game they want to play: fast and aggressive hockey. That frees up the opponent to play that way as well. The more-skilled Leafs attack with speed all afternoon, generating rush chance after rush chance. The defensive zone was chaos at times as the forwards weren’t insulating the defense and the defense insulating the goalie as much. The Canes lose 8-1 and Darling is the worst player on the ice.

I’m not trying to absolve Darling from blame here, but this team just doesn’t have the horses to be successful playing the way they want to play. The skill isn’t there to win 5-4 hockey games with consistency. Peters needs to adjust or go.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’m not trying to absolve Darling from blame here, but this team just doesn’t have the horses to be successful playing the way they want to play. The skill isn’t there to win 5-4 hockey games with consistency. Peters needs to adjust or go.

Exactly. It's like Peters is an architect that tasked to build a shelter, designs a beautiful 100 story skyscraper, sees that all he has is pine lumber, then adds 50 more floors to the design. Sometimes you have to change your plans to fit what you have. If he can't or won't, he is not a good coach.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If Peters system is bad for goalies that give up a lot of rebounds and can’t play the puck why the f*** did they bring in Darling? Did Francis just ignore the advanced stats guys’ advice on goaltending or does Tulsky just not know f***all about goaltending? I know Francis doesn’t know anything about goaltending, but it would be nice if someone in the organization did.

Khudobin is the same type of goalie by the way, couldn’t handle the puck or absorb rebounds. Cratered here under Peters.

Those are two things, among the few, Cam actually does well. The team has 8 wins in 23 games with Darling starting and 6 in 10 with Cam. If the starts were flipped I’m not delusional enough to think Cam would have 15 wins or something crazy like that but it’s absolutely asinine that they aren’t splitting starts more evenly.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Not even joking might as well see what SJS wants for Dell...could he really be worse than Ward/Darling? Just rotate all 3 in a carousel or play spin the bottle for starter each game...nobody gets overworked or overplayed then

No, and only because I can't handle listening to Tripp and John say "Aarondell" every f***ing time they reference him.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Eärendil (Quenya; IPA: [e.aˈrendil]) was one of the most important figures in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth mythology: a great seafaring Man who voyaged to Valinor and carried a star across the sky. His story is found in The Silmarillion, and there are several references to him throughout The Lord of the Rings.
He is the father of Elros, the first King of Númenor, and of Elrond, the Lord of Rivendell and an important figure in Middle-earth during the Second and Third age.

I would sign this guy

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
If Peters system is bad for goalies that give up a lot of rebounds and can’t play the puck why the **** did they bring in Darling? Did Francis just ignore the advanced stats guys’ advice on goaltending or does Tulsky just not know ****all about goaltending? I know Francis doesn’t know anything about goaltending, but it would be nice if someone in the organization did.

Khudobin is the same type of goalie by the way, couldn’t handle the puck or absorb rebounds. Cratered here under Peters.

Those are two things, among the few, Cam actually does well. The team has 8 wins in 23 games with Darling starting and 6 in 10 with Cam. If the starts were flipped I’m not delusional enough to think Cam would have 15 wins or something crazy like that but it’s absolutely asinine that they aren’t splitting starts more evenly.

Must be something in Darling's contract that stipulates x amount of games need to be played per season. That last game against Toronto... [mod] That was a whoopin!

Last edited by a moderator:

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I'm convinced we could have prime Patrick Roy here and he'd find a way to look like an AHLer.

Darling is looking a lot more like John "Tired of the 25% rule" Grahhame than he is a legit starter.
Totally different set of circumstances, but your mention of Roy is funny because I thought about him and his infamous game with MTL when Darling was left in the game to let in goal after goal.

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

That 2nd season for Anton was so wild. He looked like a cat trying to catch a laser pointer when he was trying to cover the puck. It was such an odd thing to have as a problem. Which is a shame, because he looked amazing the year before. And he's had a couple good stretches in Boston as well.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
That 2nd season for Anton was so wild. He looked like a cat trying to catch a laser pointer when he was trying to cover the puck. It was such an odd thing to have as a problem. Which is a shame, because he looked amazing the year before. And he's had a couple good stretches in Boston as well.
I miss the halcyon days of Jamie Storr. Hard to believe he was a 1st rounder - seriously.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

That's fantastic. :handclap:

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If Peters system is bad for goalies that give up a lot of rebounds and can’t play the puck why the **** did they bring in Darling? Did Francis just ignore the advanced stats guys’ advice on goaltending or does Tulsky just not know ****all about goaltending? I know Francis doesn’t know anything about goaltending, but it would be nice if someone in the organization did.

Ward has terrible rebound control lol. His puck movement isn't bad but not good either.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I’ve seen every one of Cam Ward’s games, his rebound control is good. Maybe it’s just in relation to other dog **** I’ve watched from this team over the same time period.

Statistically Ward has a very low puck frozen rate and gives up rebounds to high danger areas quite often, compared to the other goalies that the Canes have had? Yes Ward is definitely a good goalie in that regard. League wise? Nah, he's still bad in rebound control lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad