A Sens team logo I've been working on

Tenbo

Jun 1, 2018
I posted an earlier version of this on reddit, but I thought some of you over here might like to check it out also.

I like the classic general feel and composition of the 90s era logo, but I find it's a bit lacking in execution, and really with fitting in with modern era logos, so I wanted to try my hand at making something similar overall, but cleaner and more modern, with a bit more movement.

One thing that I find is kind of cool that you probably wouldn't notice, is that as a kind of subtle nod to hockey, the negative space between the wings was actually made using hockey stick blades.

This is a vector format logo, which means I could blow it up the size of a building and it will always stay perfectly crisp. It looks pretty badass when you zoom right in too, imo. But I only posted a jpeg with a 75 dpi resolution here.

Anyway let me know what you think. Any and all feedback appreciated.

2hfxTdE.jpg

Reactions: DJB

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Oh cool, I didn’t notice the negative-image hockey sticks. But it is just one edge, and I usually miss those things. Ffs, I didn’t notice the Minnesota Wild logo was an animal (bear?) head for a decade.

I like your logo. I would be happy with a Sens jersey with this crest.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I posted an earlier version of this on reddit, but I thought some of you over here might like to check it out also.

I like the classic general feel and composition of the 90s era logo, but I find it's a bit lacking in execution, and really with fitting in with modern era logos, so I wanted to try my hand at making something similar overall, but cleaner and more modern, with a bit more movement.

One thing that I find is kind of cool that you probably wouldn't notice, is that as a kind of subtle nod to hockey, the negative space between the wings was actually made using hockey stick blades.

This is a vector format logo, which means I could blow it up the size of a building and it will always stay perfectly crisp. It looks pretty badass when you zoom right in too, imo. But I only posted a jpeg with a 75 dpi resolution here.

2hfxTdE.jpg

Too busy for me. The original 2D logo is what we need to go back to. No other jersey/logo comes close.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Looks cartoony like an AHL logo.

The original logo was so good because it was very refined, thin strokes, no shadows, no 3D feel to it.

Reactions: Back in Black

Tenbo

Jun 1, 2018
Looks completely unbalanced with the focus on entirely the wrong elements of the logo .

I think you made a very good point there. How does this work for you in terms of balance? I think I will need to rework a few things to fit better with the new positioning, but I think this is a lot better that way. All I did was move the head in relation to the circular element behind it. I think I may need to adjust the wings in comparison to the rest also. But I think this is a significant overall improvement.

I don't have much time to mess around with it now, I did that very quickly, but I am going to explore this avenue more later for sure.

6f7oNUj.jpg

Last edited:

Tenbo

Jun 1, 2018
Looks cartoony like an AHL logo.

The original logo was so good because it was very refined, thin strokes, no shadows, no 3D feel to it.

Ya, the original version of this logo was actually a lot like that. I kind of like that as well. I may do another version that's like that. It wouldn't be too difficult to do. I agree that the AHL is too much, but some of the NHL ones are a bit like that as well, like the predators and wild, and I think SOME of that can be cool, but it's walking the fine line that you need I guess.

The AHL thing is too much cheese, which is what the other 2D logo floating around that they never used is like. But the original 2D logo, I find could be a lot better as well.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I love the change to the helmet, but agree that all together it’s a little busy.

I would drop the cape, and have the helmet/head inside and angle the crest back a little.

Reactions: Tenbo

Tenbo

Jun 1, 2018
Oh cool, I didn’t notice the negative-image hockey sticks. But it is just one edge, and I usually miss those things. Ffs, I didn’t notice the Minnesota Wild logo was an animal (bear?) head for a decade.

I like your logo. I would be happy with a Sens jersey with this crest.

Thanks man. I'm going to try and improve it more. I think I will be able to get something very similar, but overall better.

You should see it really close up around the face. I find it's a good balance between classic regular, and modern mean, for my taste. I only posted a lo-res image, but like I said in OP this is a vector logo, so it's perfectly crisp when you zoom right in.

Last edited:

Tenbo

Jun 1, 2018
I love the change to the helmet, but agree that all together it’s a little busy.

I would drop the cape, and have the helmet/head inside and angle the crest back a little.
Angling the crest won't look right imo. The cape serves a purpose, as well as just being a cape, being that you don't just have a head floating with an abruptly cut off neck, or no neck at all. Shoulder pads or maybe something like that could work. I like the cape though. I actually quite like the cap as it is, so I think I'll leave it that way. I may do a more plain version where it's just a regular stroke rather than angled points on it, which would make it look more plain and less "action" but I think I want a bit of movement in it, just not over the top, the way some other logos have been.

But thanks a lot for taking the time to leave some feedback, it's much appreciated.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast

2hfxTdE.jpg

I love it to be honest

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I think you made a very good point there. How does this work for you in terms of balance? I think I will need to rework a few things to fit better with the new positioning, but I think this is a lot better that way. All I did was move the head in relation to the circular element behind it. I think I may need to adjust the wings in comparison to the rest also. But I think this is a significant overall improvement.

I don't have much time to mess around with it now, I did that very quickly, but I am going to explore this avenue more later for sure.

6f7oNUj.jpg

I think you are off to a good start. I do have some suggestions.

1: The top cap flap should line up with the top of the circle. You will have to sharpen the angles at the back in order to create a tear drop shape which is more pleasing to the human eye.
2: The Laurels in the gold ring should be broken up into two groups. The top group being 7, the bottom group being 4. The total of 11 equals the 11 cups Ottawa has one, 7 prior to the NHL and 4 after the inception of the NHL in 1917.
3: Possibly reshape the crest into an "S" shape. The ring represents the "O" of Ottawa and the crest would be the "S" of Senators.Great logos incorporate aspects into them that you would not see at first but when you do, you appreciate it more. Think Hartford Whalers.

Good work though.

Genuflexion

Aug 20, 2017
I say we just put a helmet on Goku from Dragon ball. I mean, Karlsson is kinda like Goku, dude just keeps surpassing his limits

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I appreciate the effort by the OP but not a fan of the logo though. Still good job but I'm not a fan unfortunately.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

6f7oNUj.jpg

- I would lengthen the red helmet part by 1-2 cm towards the bottom.
- Remove the red cape below the helmet or make it black with red outliner (like the original).
- Make the 3 black streaks exactly like the original version. They are supposed to represent the cape flowing in the wind and the waviness helps the eyes. There is also too much space between them, even though the use of a hockey stick was cleaver. Also, on that note, the logo is round so I would try and avoid straight lines.
- Remove some of the shadowing. Too cartoony, as others have said.
- Make the eyes look a tad more aggressive, they look passive atm... almost concerned haha.

Other than that, pretty nice job. Of course I'll also say that I prefer the originals but this is definitely a modern take that looks very decent.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->