OT: A Sabres question google can't answer

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
My wife asked me this a while back, and I've never found an answer:

When you walk into a Sabres game in the front entrance...the past several years, there's always a guy in full army combat gear with an M4/some big gun.

Is that an actual army guy or just a policeman with an interesting budget? Either way, that much equipment for street security at a Sabres games doesn't seem necessary (or maybe I'm ignorant and it is)?

It didn't really dawn on me how weird that is until she pointed it out.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
I don’t know about the Sabres but in New York City’s Penn Station there are several similarly armed and dressed. Don’t know if they are army, national guard or NYPD.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

When you walk into a Sabres game in the front entrance...the past several years, there's always a guy in full army combat gear with an M4/some big gun.

Is that an actual army guy or just a policeman with an interesting budget? Either way, that much equipment for street security at a Sabres games doesn't seem necessary (or maybe I'm ignorant and it is)?

I believe its Erie County swat teams and posssibly state police are involved as well. The Buffalo Police are around but more for traffic and regular crowd work. But I don’t believe any military.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

It would be illegal to use military for policing like this.

Reactions: Kyndig

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
This probably has something to do with the marketing agreement between the NHL and the DOD. They pay for NHL teams like the Sabres to promote the armed services. The ceramony at the start of Sabres games where they have a veteran come down and stand at attention during the anthems is part of this deal. Just a guess.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I believe its Erie County swat teams and posssibly state police are involved as well. The Buffalo Police are around but more for traffic and regular crowd work. But I don’t believe any military.
Got this answer from someone else last night. Mystery solved!

Reactions: joshjull

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
This probably has something to do with the marketing agreement between the NHL and the DOD. They pay for NHL teams like the Sabres to promote the armed services. The ceramony at the start of Sabres games where they have a veteran come down and stand at attention during the anthems is part of this deal. Just a guess.
if (big if) there was any such arrangement, I strongly believe the armed services branch(es) would be far more likely to have a recruiting presence than a public safety threat presence in full tactical gear.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Department of Defense active duty and reserve personnel (US Code Title 10) personnel are restricted from conducting any duties whatsoever in the United States aside from training and recruiting. DoD active duty personnel may participate if:

- Provisions of the Insurrection Act are activated
- A State declares a State of Emergency and requests support, which is granted by the President. The request must be specific and have a defined end state. This is typically for support units under the authority of US Northern Command (operational control). The types of units are usually for water purification, search and rescue, medical support, veterinarian support, power generation, etc. Combat units may be used in instances where raw manpower is required and the State's National Guard is insufficient in either time to react or numbers (eg: Hurricane Katrina type event, catastrophic earthquake in Southern California).
- Where pre-existing agreements are in place (Eg: USAF C-130s support for wildfire firefighting).
- A request for support of a local event (Soldiers in a parade, Air Force flyover of a sporting event, etc).

National Guard (US Code Title 32) may be used within the State at the discretion of the State Governor, and according to State law.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad