Proposal: A ridiculous trade proposal - MTL and EDM

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Zero interest in RNH.
Zero... as in absolutely none.
If the Habs are moving the 1OA, aka Rasmus Dahlin, to Edmonton, then Draisaitl is involved.
RNH is an over rated and over payed non-starter.

But...Marc Bergevin.... so anything is possible.

Aside from that statement, made from someone who obviously knows nothing about RNH, the OP is way lopsided in Edmonton's favor. Montreal doesn't do that.

I'm not even certain the 1OA gets Draisaitl to be blunt, but I can't see the Habs trading it without someone like that coming back.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
They aren't, but you can't just pick the best prospect of the past 10 years to show the gap either. Yakupov or Morgan Reilly?

Matthews or Juolevi? MacKinnon or Lindholm? Ekblad or Dal Colle? Hall or Neiderreiter? Tavares or Schenn? Stamkos or Schenn? Kane or Alzner? (I guess I went slightly past the 10 years here)

RNH for Strome is even lopsided. So McDavid-Hanifin doesn't look that cherry-picked.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Aside from that statement, made from someone who obviously knows nothing about RNH, the OP is way lopsided in Edmonton's favor. Montreal doesn't do that.

I'm not even certain the 1OA gets Draisaitl to be blunt, but I can't see the Habs trading it without someone like that coming back.

Not alone, but that might actually lead to a conversation with Montreal. RNH doesn't cut it for Dahlin (if the team was Montreal or Vancouver or Phoenix or Ottawa or Buffalo or anyone else).

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Really? Well if Edmonton win the lottery, we will gladly trade our 1st for yours. It’s a wash, after all.

Edmonton gets Dahlin. It would would probably take that package (RNH, 5th overall + 1st next year) just for the Habs to consider it.
How is Edmonton for sure getting dahlin with Montreal pick?

Edit. Didn't read the op fully.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
They aren't, but you can't just pick the best prospect of the past 10 years to show the gap either. Yakupov or Morgan Reilly?

The reason I went to McDavid and Hanifin is simply because of how hyped up McDavid was versus how hyped up Dahlin is. Sure they're prospects and anything cab happen but theirs no denying how hyped up Dahlin is and how untouchable the first overall pick will be for the team who wins the lottery this year.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
So so so bad for Montreal. They lose nothing up front (positional swap) and go from a very good prospect to a future superstar d-man at the cost of what will almost certainly be a very late 1st.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
How is Edmonton for sure getting dahlin with Montreal pick?

Edit. Didn't read the op fully.

All good.

The reason I went to McDavid and Hanifin is simply because of how hyped up McDavid was versus how hyped up Dahlin is. Sure they're prospects and anything cab happen but theirs no denying how hyped up Dahlin is and how untouchable the first overall pick will be for the team who wins the lottery this year.

You usually know (hear) from scouts and peoples in the industry when there’s a franchise player available in the draft. Dahlin is definitely one. He’s going to be Matthews/McDavid level right off the bat.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Outsider's perspective - would have to be Draisaitl for 1 OA. Only reason Edmonton would do that is if they needed to reduce cap.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Assuming that The Habs win the lottery they take Dahlin no question. Also if in some bizzaro world they decide to trade that pick, its Drai +

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Finally a proposal I could get behind that includes Max Pacioretty coming to the Oil. But Dahlin would be the real prize, so yeah that's an easy one. MTL doesn't consider this unless Bergie calls up Chia while he's hitting the sauce or something wacky. Just not going to happen.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
easy no for the oilers
1sts are somewhat a wash but another first and Nuge.

So the oilers trade nuge and a first for 1 year of Patches? Too much. Oiler fans can disagree with me--but Nuge has shown this year--before getting injured he is better then some gave him credit for. Before getting injured he had 33 pts in 47 games

How os 1st OA and 5th OA a wash? A generational defenseman vs a top 6 winger/top line winger? Imo Nuge + 1st (19/top 5 protected) + 5th OA for 1st OA + Patches is close, Oilers should take this and run, especially if Patches agrees to a 3-6 year extension, Patches would tear it up in Edmonton, and so should Dahlin, give your head a shake, that's easily ripping the Habs off, as a Flames fan I'd be begging Montreal to decline this, easily makes the Oilers a playoff team and possibly a contender.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
yeah EDM takes that and runs!!

Make the 2019th Klefbom instead and Habs consider it

I am probably one of Nuge's biggest supporters on the Oiler board but if the deal was

To Edmonton: Dahlin, Patches

To Montreal: 2018 1st, Nuge, Klefbom

I'd do that deal for sure. If the Habs get lucky that deal could work out well for them because some of the guys in the 4-6 spot have potential to be really top end players. But Dahlin is so close to an automatic that you have to take the chance if you are the Oilers. In the short run it also free's up enough cap space to add another winger.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
OK, I am just bored and thinking if this is realistic or not.

So, let's say Montreal through luck and a continuin downward spiral ends up with the 1st overall pick.
And let's say Edmonton ends up with the 5th overall pick.

Would you, if you were Edmonton and if you were Montreal do the following:

Mtl trades 1st pick in 2018 and Max Pacioretty
Edm trades 1st pick in 2018 and 2019 and RNH

Montreal acquires a center they need, not the 1C but a very good 2C who on this team is a easily a 1C, along with 2 picks to begin their "re-tool".

Edmonton gets to bring in a generational defender to go with their generational 1C. Along with 1 year of a solid winger to play alongside him.

Is this a fair trade? Is anyone over/underpaying here?
Not realistic for the Habs. Not a fair trade. Habs would be hugely overpaying.Even M.B. wouldn't do it.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
If any team gets Dahlin they will be winner.

Dahlin is the McDavid on defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->