A quick look back at 2002's 1st round.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
First of all, Sean Bergenheim is not done with the Islanders. Snow confirmed that he has every intention of bringing him back next season.

Second, having watched that kid play quite a bit, I don't see a hint of a 30 goal scorer. He has great wheels, and is eager and aggressive, but not much of a shot and no real offensive creativity.

Slabber Chops

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
8.P-M Bouchard - I don't think anyone really knows about this guy. He had a great year last year after two mediocre seasons (where he was rushed). A first line player who gets 20-25 goals and 50-60 assists is not out of the question. One has to wonder if he could have produced more with a better team.

I seem to remember that Pierre-Marc Bouchard was the one player that the Penguins scouted the most from this draft so he's probably better known than you give credit. However, is just getting better and better from what I'm seeing..

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Im sure PM Bouchard is well known amongst GMs and such, but amongst fans, I think he often goes unmentioned.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
21.Anton Babchuk - I agree, he has a lot of offensive potential with a strong shot, but as far as I and my fantasy team can see, he hasn't really met it. He has shone tantalizing glimpses of his potential, but IMO he is never going to crack the top 3 of a contending team.

25.Cam Ward - He's already got a great career. A SC and the Hart. Seriously, he was a bit overrated, and this year is proving that. I think he will be a number one goalie for a long time, but I don't think he is going to be a perennial Vezina candidate.

Anton Babchuk has settled into a more defensive role this season for Carolina and is among the league leaders in the blocked shots category. I'm not saying that the organization is giving up on his offensive potential, but he plays on the penalty kill now instead of the powerplay which is where he was at to start the year. He is logging a pretty impressive amount of minutes considering the injuries to the blueline of Carolina to the tune of about 20-25 per night. Depending on how you define contending team, as Carolina is currently the defending champions and if the season ended today would be in the Playoffs, then he's already a Top 3 defenseman on a team that is a contender. I'm not saying he's a top pairing defenseman, but I wouldn't have much trouble calling him a Top 4 defenseman at this point.

Cam Ward is still only 22 years old and is posting numbers comperable to those of Kari Lehtonen of Atlanta. Not to mention the great playoff run and Conn Smythe. He's already a starter in the league at this young of an age. Give him a little bit of time before we say he's not a potential vezina candidate. Look at what Ward has done in his career at this point and compare it to what our current Vezina candidates in Ryan Miller, Mikka Kiprusoff, and even Martin Broduer to an extent had done to this point in their career.

Transported Upstater

I wouldnt say his future is in the air. He played the first 30 games with Peca and played an ultraconservative defense first game, as a result he didnt score. Now that hes back in an offensive role he is showing what he can do in the offensive zone as well as his all around game.

I think you were a little too kind.

Peca, I love his defensive game and miss him terribly, but he's an offensive black hole.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Nash would not make my top 6 if I was picking over. He has scored a ton of goals in the past but he hogs the puck, and is very one sided. I would like to see more scoring from him too.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Im sure PM Bouchard is well known amongst GMs and such, but amongst fans, I think he often goes unmentioned.
People must have lived under a rock if they didn't know PMB. He was the CHL player of the year in his draft year. Not many 17 year olds do that. He was pretty big in Quebec.

TRVIPERS

Sep 26, 2006
Home of the Jets
Hit A Nerve

Very excellent reading,that is a very good list Habsfan18,and I also enjoyed reading superroyain10s list.
I started reading this thread and thought,yeah this is really good.Then I got to Eminger,it hit a bit of a nerve.Eminger,who I read could thrive on the power play, playing with Ovechkin and crew.I got fired up and had to have him in my keeper pool.I contacted the GM of The BOG,I had an offer for him,I wanted Eminger.
So with not much thought about it, I threw out my offer.I will trade you Brian Campbell straight up for Eminger.DONE
Eminger is four years younger than Campbell,so hopefully he can show the offensive ability he has in the past.Meanwhile Campbells playing in the all star game.
I then continued to read the rest of the thread and enjoyed it very much.
Very insightful thread -thanks guys.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Good work,

I think the 2002 draft is a pretty underrated one, a lot of people said it was weak.

I remember at that time the 02 draft was considered very weak while the 01 draft was considered very strong.

Right now it looks like the 02's draft is better than the 01 draft.

I guess you never know until a few years down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad