Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Stich said:
LOL. They wouldn't be stuck with him, therefore you have no point.

Wasn't Yashin traded at a time when he made no money? I thought he was RFA... It was also the offseason in which the cap may or may not be enforced.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Stich said:
LOL. They wouldn't be stuck with him, therefore you have no point.
huh ? what do you mean ?

my contention is any team without Yashin is a better team than with Yashin. So if under your CBA, they cant trade Yashin for a stud young player and a norris calibre dman, i fail to see it as a good system.

dr

degroat*

DementedReality said:
huh ? what do you mean ?

my contention is any team without Yashin is a better team than with Yashin. So if under your CBA, they cant trade Yashin for a stud young player and a norris calibre dman, i fail to see it as a good system.

dr

They didn't trade Yashin for a stud young player and a Norris caliber defenseman. They traded him for a draft pick and a prospect.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
Tom_Benjamin said:
The idea is being put forward by Gary Bettman. Can you name one thing he has done that has been good for the NHL? I hate cap systems. I like great teams. I don't like tons of player movement and cap systems have tons of player movement.

Give me the choice that Bettman pretends we have:

a) A cap system and 30 teams

b) Status quo and teams fold.

Goodbye Mickey Mouse markets. This is a no-brainer. I cannot understand anyone who would suggest otherwise. You are asking me to give up hockey for a year or two to keep Edmonton and Pittsburgh and Buffalo and Florida in the NHL? In another life. Hockey has been priced out of Edmonton? Who cares outside Edmonton?

They can pony up more money or the fans can lose their team. Why should the rest of us pay to keep them around? The result would be a stronger league.

I am really getting angry about whining fans in small markets who expect to get the best hockey in the world without paying for it. They want someone else to pay for it via revenue sharing or the players to pay for it by taking less than they would if the Mickey Mouse markets did not exist.

Why should we? Why should the players? Why should these markets drag the league down? I'll be a lot happier listening to Oiler fans whine about the team they lost - I will ignore them like everyone ignores Winnipeg fans today - than listening to them whine about how bad the NHL is as a sports league.

Fans who don't like what they see - fans who don't care whether there is hockey this season or next - aren't really hockey fans. Who needs them? Who wants a system that subsidizes markets that aren't good enough for big time hockey?

Why isn't contraction - by bankruptcy - the best option if the league is in such big trouble? If Edmonton can't afford a payroll that is higher than it is today, tough. Either live with it or fold the team.

Tom

My question is: Where does it stop? This would eventually lead to a league with 1 team if every few years the bottom teams were chopped off.

wint

Jun 10, 2002
Inside
Visit site
Stich said:
A team like Ottawa would THRIVE under a cap system because they have been so good at developing players.
Not true. A salary cap system does not reward smart drafting, strong player development, or being bad for years in order to rebuild (all things that Ottawa has gone through). Therefore, a hard cap would be harmful to the Ottawa franchise right now.

A cap would do just what it does in the NFL. No team can be good for very long, because their players become too expensive. Teams are built from the ground up in 1-3 years, and then have a 1-3 year window to win. Rebuilding simply consists of suffering through the final years of huge front-loaded contracts. When those players are gone, you sign more talent to front-loaded contracts and take a shot at the Super Bowl.

Good players at every position are almost always available, so winning is just a matter of signing the right guys at the right time. There is little competitive difference between the best and worst drafting teams (certainly not as much as in hockey), because nearly everyone switches teams soon anyway.

A team like Ottawa is built for both now and the future. But in a world with a cap, there is no reason to ever build for anything more than 2 or 3 years down the line. So Ottawa has spent the last 10 years building up to this point (which they never would have had to to under a cap), but would now be forced to disband within a year, or at least get rid of Alfredsson this year, Redden next year etc. (which they would not have had to do under the old system). Ottawa gets the worst of both worlds.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Stich said:
They didn't trade Yashin for a stud young player and a Norris caliber defenseman. They traded him for a draft pick and a prospect.

so whats your point ? they clearly won that trade, short term, long term and financially. why would you want to restrict their ability to do those kinds of deals ?

dr

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
wint said:
Not true. A salary cap system does not reward smart drafting, strong player development, or being bad for years in order to rebuild (all things that Ottawa has gone through). Therefore, a hard cap would be harmful to the Ottawa franchise right now.

A hard cap, perhaps yes.

A soft cap similar to the NBA, I think that has a chance of working...but only with a component of revenue sharing.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
tantalum said:
Every team goes through rebuilding for goodness sakes. Some are better at it than others...I.E. some have better management, better drafting and better player development than other teams. Some teams are perpetually bad at this it has nothing to do with the cap. The Lions have not been bad for years because of a cap but because of poor personel choices and inner club turmoil. Some teams are always good with these factors and have consistently good teams.

Exactly. Some teams are always bad, and its their own fault. The cap can't solve this, however, alot of people here think it can.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Go Flames Go said:
There is a reason why there is a certian amount in which a team must spend, so team will not go dumping salaries so they can free up space to sign a big time free agent.

Hard cap at 38 Million min spending at 33 million.

You can still create a dynasty with this system, that is what great teams do, unlike the beloved Red Wings throwing around 70 million to buy cups.

You have obviously have no knowledge of the situation, so until you get some, keep your uninformed comments to yourself.

degroat*

DementedReality said:
so whats your point ? they clearly won that trade, short term, long term and financially. why would you want to restrict their ability to do those kinds of deals ?

dr

Why would you possibly want to base an entire league's system on how much teams get in return for high dollar players? Do you realize how little sense that makes?

What you're telling me is that a system where teams develop good players and have to trade them to teams with higher payrolls is a good thing.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Someone asked earlier about proving there is medicority with a hard cap. Since the NFL is the only league with one, I did some research.

I went through the last 10 seasons (1994-2003) of 5 NFL teams, teams that are generally thought to have good management.

Minnesota:
92-68, .575 winning percentage. 4 seasons at 8-8, 9-7 or 7-9. Less than 7 wins twice, more than 9 four times.

Redskins:
70-89-1, .438 winning percentage. 5 seasons at 8-8, 9-7 or 7-9. Less than 7 wins 4 times, more than 9 once.

Dallas:
83-77, .519. 1 season at .500. 5 years with more than 9 wins, 4 years less than 7 wins.

Kansas City:
94-66, .588. 6 seasons at 8-8, 9-7 or 7-9. less than 7 wins once. more than 9 wins three times.

Philadelphia:
87-72-1, .544. 1 season at 7-9. three seasons less than 7 wins. 6 seasons more than 9 wins.

in 50 total seasons, 426-372-2, .533. 17 seasons at 8-8, 9-7 or 7-9, 14 seasons with less than 7 wins, 19 seasons with more than 9 wins.

34% of the time, these teams finished at .500, or within a game of it. 28% less than 7 wins, 38% more than 9 wins.

No winning % over .588. the average record was 8.5 wins and 7.4 losses, so rounding those off, its 9-7 for teams with good management.

If you extrapolate out the winning and losing %'s to hockey, the average record would be 43-38, with a little left over because of the NFL's ties. Lets say NHL teams average 10 ties a year, take away 5 wins and 5 losses, the record becomes 39-33-10,( I added one more win to account for all 82 games) which amounts to less than .500 hockey.

these are the facts and figures I base my opinions on. Instead of telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, try to find some evidence to back up your arguments.

If anybody else has the time to do it, I'd be really interested in this breakdown for the entire NFL. Obviously the final record will be .500, but I'd like to see team by team breakdowns.

Last edited:

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Stich said:
What you're telling me is that a system where teams develop good players and have to trade them to teams with higher payrolls is a good thing.

im saying thats better than having a league where a team like OTT cant trade Yashin PERIOD to anyone, never mind for a great return.

why should we protect NYI at the expense of OTT anyway ?

dr

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
You know, its kind of funny. All these poor, woe is me fans begging for a cap so they can compete. What happens if you get one and your team still sucks? All of your GM's and owners have it easy now. They can make horible moves and blame the system, or the evil Red wings. They don't have to win, they don't have to produce. They have built in excuses. So what are the excuses going to be under a cap?

degroat*

hockeytown9321 said:
You know, its kind of funny. All these poor, woe is me fans begging for a cap so they can compete. What happens if you get one and your team still sucks? All of your GM's and owners have it easy now. They can make horible moves and blame the system, or the evil Red wings. They don't have to win, they don't have to produce. They have built in excuses. So what are the excuses going to be under a cap?

Feel free to quote one person in this entire thread that said a cap is the reason that thier team cannot compete.

Good luck with that.

degroat*

DementedReality said:
im saying thats better than having a league where a team like OTT cant trade Yashin PERIOD to anyone, never mind for a great return.

why should we protect NYI at the expense of OTT anyway ?

dr

So your entire reason for not wanting a cap is because you think teams who sign or trade for bad players should have to suffer?

That's such a great thing to base an entire system on. I simply cannot argue with that logic.

degroat*

hockeytown9321 said:

You know, it's kind of funny. All these poor, woe is me fans praying that there is no cap so they can continue to buy caps. What happens to the Wings fan base when the team starts to suck again? Is hockey going to be meaningless in 'HockeyTown' like it was for 2 decades? How will Wings fans be able to win arguments with the "Well our team has won 3 cups in the last X years" token Wings fan reponse when the Wings are once again the doormat of the NHL?

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
If there's one thing that the NFL CAP prove is not that superstar player are being paid less but that the depth of every franchise is being cut for rookies.

Sakic, Pronger, Niedermayer & all will still get 6-7-8-9M$ a year but the 3rd-4th lines will be fill with AHLers borderline NHLers because the cap won't give you the possibility to add some depth in your teams.

That means injuries will be a much more important factor to take into consideration of a franchise. 2-3 major injuries could turn the season around because they can't add any player to the line-up except some rookies or AHLer @ less than 800K.

Meanwhile the cap will increase profit to the owner, the quality of the game already a concern will be again be a regression of what we have now.

That means mediocre teams will battle for a playoff spots because of other teams injuries or the lack of depth of EVERY TEAM.

Is that what we want from a GM ? to not get an opportunity to build a team ? I'm not even talking about teams like Ottawa, TB, ATL, CBJ that take time to develop their future stars.

Thinking salaries for stars will decrease are in for a HUGE REALITY CHECK because salaries never decrease in any sports. The cut was made with the reserve , the depth, the veteran ''fillers''. Instead of getting a Rob Dimaio or a Cliff Ronning to help your team to get more experience in the playoff you will go into your farm & hope he'll progress & do the job.

degroat*

hockeytown9321 said:
Someone asked earlier about proving there is medicority with a hard cap. Since the NFL is the only league with one, I did some research.

I went through the last 10 seasons (1994-2003) of 5 NFL teams, teams that are generally thought to have good management.

Minnesota:
92-68, .575 winning percentage. 4 seasons at 8-8, 9-7 or 7-9. Less than 7 wins twice, more than 9 four times.

Redskins:
70-89-1, .438 winning percentage. 5 seasons at 8-8, 9-7 or 7-9. Less than 7 wins 4 times, more than 9 once.

Dallas:
83-77, .519. 1 season at .500. 5 years with more than 9 wins, 4 years less than 7 wins.

Kansas City:
94-66, .588. 6 seasons at 8-8, 9-7 or 7-9. less than 7 wins once. more than 9 wins three times.

Philadelphia:
87-72-1, .544. 1 season at 7-9. three seasons less than 7 wins. 6 seasons more than 9 wins.

in 50 total seasons, 426-372-2, .533. 17 seasons at 8-8, 9-7 or 7-9, 14 seasons with less than 7 wins, 19 seasons with more than 9 wins.

34% of the time, these teams finished at .500, or within a game of it. 28% less than 7 wins, 38% more than 9 wins.

No winning % over .588. the average record was 8.5 wins and 7.4 losses, so rounding those off, its 9-7 for teams with good management.

If you extrapolate out the winning and losing %'s to hockey, the average record would be 43-38, with a little left over because of the NFL's ties. Lets say NHL teams average 10 ties a year, take away 5 wins and 5 losses, the record becomes 39-33-10,( I added one more win to account for all 82 games) which amounts to less than .500 hockey.

these are the facts and figures I base my opinions on. Instead of telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, try to find some evidence to back up your arguments.

If anybody else has the time to do it, I'd be really interested in this breakdown for the entire NFL. Obviously the final record will be .500, but I'd like to see team by team breakdowns.

If you want to do some meaningful research compare the pre-cap NFL to the post-cap NFL and post any proof you find that shows caps cause mediocrity.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
If all teams have a high number of talented players on them, we should expect to see a lot of near-.500 records, right? Does being just a bit above .500 make you mediocre, regardless of the amount of talent on your team and the amount of talent you compete against?

Are you seeing better games when two teams are evenly matched, or when one team has a significant advantage due to the talent of their players?

Brent Burns Beard