A question for the NHLPA supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Flames Go*

There is a reason why there is a certian amount in which a team must spend, so team will not go dumping salaries so they can free up space to sign a big time free agent.

Hard cap at 38 Million min spending at 33 million.

You can still create a dynasty with this system, that is what great teams do, unlike the beloved Red Wings throwing around 70 million to buy cups.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Cawz said:
I agree. Why should the responsible teams have to bail out the teams that spend like they are making NBA or NFL revenues.

Because those teams have revenues that can support those payrolls. If they don't, they lose big money like the Capitals, Rangers or Blues. Sounds good to me.

It sounds like the league is saying, "theres more than enough food to go around, as long as the everyone eats responibly. And since history has taught us that this wont happen, we need some sort of rules to ensure this. Then we can all be fed."

That's not what the league is saying at all. Everybody starts with a different amount of food. The league thinks nobody should eat more than the guy with the emptiest plate. The NHLPA says the guy with the most food should have the most to eat because that's the way the world is supposed to work.

The choice is stark:

1) Endure at least a year without hockey and then the following year will be marred by lawsuits and labour acrimony around an imposed settlement. Assure an ongoing labour battle with the players over every issue.

2) Keep the same deal and let two, four or six teams fold their tent if they can't make a go of it. The ones willing to compete, compete.

That's a no-brainer for the hockey fan. Kill the runts.

Tom

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Cawz said:
Thats such a simple minded solution. Kill the runts of the litter so the rest of the herd can live.

And once those inconvenient snot nosed brats are disposed of so that the fatties of the NHL can continue to do what they do best, guess what?

Those middle market teams are now the small market teams, and the cycle begins anew. Check out the Blue Jays of the early 90's, now look where they are...their 45M/yr player budget that was buying them back to back world titles now barely gets them out of the AL basement a little over 10 years later.

This attitude of screwing the small guys over with nary a backwards glance just for the sake of keeping the elite awash in caviar and meth might work in the world of Bill Gates, but for a professional sports league all it does is make its death a slow and lingering one. And personally I'm getting damn disgusted with how fans are turning on each other in this forum...after reading some of these mean spirited threads, apparently Oiler fans are now mewling welfare deadbeats that are better off seen than heard. What elitist drivel.

Will the last NHL franchise standing that can afford to pay these spiralling salaries please turn out the lights when you're done? Thanks.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
me2 said:
Exactly. And for the same reasons why should successful teams sufffer with worse draft picks? There should be no draft at all, let every team bid for any player/prospect they want. Dynasties are good, let the richest teams build never ending dynasties.

That's the default. All the NHL has to do to get this system is push the NHLPA into decertifying.

Tom

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Digger12 said:
This attitude of screwing the small guys over with nary a backwards glance just for the sake of keeping the elite awash in caviar and meth

Its not about screwing over the small guys. In fact this system has quite clearly protected them and they have had better results than the large markets recently as the trends seem to indicate. I dont remember any large market cinderella runs. I dont remember many of the top 50 highest paid players in the finals. I dont remember any of the large markets making it recently as the guard is changing.

Its about ensuring all the markets are NHL markets and are capable of charging NHL prices that a winner does and pay the salaries that a winner does.

They dont need to do be able to do this when they arent winning. In fact if they arent winning, its because they havent developed enough players worthy of spending that money on.

There is a threshold for market size to compete in this league - the best league in the world. If like Colorado the first time they tried, they couldnt meet that threshold, they fold, move, try again.

I agree with Bettman, all 30 markets currently should be able to find a way to use the system to develop a good, better, great team that makes money, or increases in franchise value, without whining that someone else is spending more. I think they can do that now. Al they need to do is stop the whining. And some cba tweaking and market resetting

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Stich said:
Why would a hard cap would be bad for the NHL?
I simply want to know why you think a hard cap would be bad for the NHL.

because to get the hard cap, they have to basically drag the league, its players and its reputation into the mud and devalue the history of the league to such a degeree thats i dont see why they need to take that risk when they havent even explored other options.

as well, parity is bad. remember, if every team has a chance to win, every team also has a chance to lose. how would you like your home team to do everything right only to see it lose to a team that is still doing everything wrong. wouldnt you like to know if your team is smart like OTT, it can be elite ? or would you like to know that even if you do it like OTT, you wont be able to keep all players and a team like NYI can not only poach from your hard work, but also remain just as good as you.

thats two two reasons I am anti cap. as well, the owners have hit a single already from the players, they should go for the double and not the home run.

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Stich said:
Without a cap, the complaint from small teams is that they don't generate enough revenue to compete on the UFA market with the big market teams.

here is what i dont get. so what ? why care if you cant spend alot of money to get an old player who wont help your team and win and might even make it worse ?

i have yet to see any benefit to the UFA market. so why is it such an issue, since its of no benefit to sign expensive UFA's, why moan that you cant do it.

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Stich said:
I don't agree with that, but let's assume you're right. I'm not quite sure why that's a bad thing for the NHL. What it would mean is that every team with above average management and player development would get their share of playoff appearances. That would increase the fan bases for the teams that need to do so while not losing any significant portion of any established fan base.

In all honestly, the concern you present is simply the concern of the selfish fan. I'm not saying that you're selfish, just that it's typically an arguement presented by someone who wants their team to be contending for a Cup ever year.

because under today's CBA, the teams that are built properly usually are the ones who benefit the most. the teams that try and outspend everyone else (when they are in the wrong cycle) usually do lousy (see NYR, WSH, DAL, STL).

more than half the league has made it to the final 4 at least once in the last 10 years, and you think MORE teams deserve a chance ? why ?

dr

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Stich said:
Why would a hard cap would be bad for the NHL?

I don't want to know why you think there shouldn't be a cap.

I don't want to know who you think is at fault for the higher salaries.

I simply want to know why you think a hard cap would be bad for the NHL.
its the distrust issue - if a hard cap is imposed - guys like bill wurtz - gary bettman - and the owner dick in boston - will work very hard to market the game to the max - this will increase their revenues greatly and the players share remains at the capped level -

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Stich said:
Under the NFL's system you get to cut that unhappy, overpaid #1 center and keep your 2nd overall pick and young defenseman.

and how is this fair to small market, done everything right, OTTAWA ?

They dealt Yashin for Spezza and Chara.

Why should we shut down the league to save NYI from Milbury at the expense of OTT ?

So in your NHL, OTT cant even benefit from the "improvements", but NYI can.

I see. Sounds real fair to bring OTT down to NYI's level.

DR

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
mr gib said:
its the distrust issue - if a hard cap is imposed - guys like bill wurtz - gary bettman - and the owner dick in boston - will work very hard to market the game to the max - this will increase their revenues greatly and the players share remains at the capped level -

:lol: So you think, that the cap would stay the same for a hundred years or more, depending on how long there is life (human) on the planet.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
hockeytown9321 said:
Some NFL teams like the Lions go through continuous rebuilding. I don't see Miami being near the top this year. Nor St. Louis or Tampa. New England has already lost key players off their team due to a cap. Philly's remaining time is short. GB has rebulit pretty well, but they are nowhere near as good as they were in the mid 90's. Tennesee was forced to get rid of a player who had played his entire career for the franchise due to the cap.

I'm sure NHL contracts will go down under a cap. But I think its totally within reason to assume one team will be able to offer $1-2 million more for a star than your team can, and he's gone.

Every team goes through rebuilding for goodness sakes. Some are better at it than others...I.E. some have better management, better drafting and better player development than other teams. Some teams are perpetually bad at this it has nothing to do with the cap. The Lions have not been bad for years because of a cap but because of poor personel choices and inner club turmoil. Some teams are always good with these factors and have consistently good teams.

You don't see come of those teams being good this year...so what. The fact still remains that in the NFL where 37% of teams make the playoffs (as opposed to 53%) there are a number of teams that are expected to be there year after year (and those that aren't) and USUALLY are there. Teams go through cycles in which they are at the top for 5 or 6 seasons and then rebuild. Again so what? The NHL currently does the same. Every team as they improve talks about the "window of opportunity". There are no more dynasties under the current NHL CBA but there are some teams that are always playoff contenders and have playoff appearances. These are teams that typically have good coaching, good management, good goaltending, good chemistry and a decent farm system to continually feed players to the parent team...those factors will not change under a cap system and in fact come to the forefront. You know hockey factors determining success...for shame.

Players move from team to team it is the nature of professional sports. IT's the same whether or not there is a cap or not. Yes teams may lose players due to a cap but many teams lose players now for salary considerations and there is no cap for goodness sakes. What team hasn't? Detroit, Toronto, Colorado and the Rangers. Every other team has lost players due to payroll issues. Players will move more under any new system as you can guarantee that players will get free agency earlier and it will be easier to become one. But in the end they are simply hockey decisions that need to be made...the decisions aren't any different from what EVERY team needs to make now given they all do have a budget. The difference is that a cap should ensure viability of a gate driven league. It ensure players salaries are predictable and that joe blow with a $75 million payroll can't escalate salaries the way he can now. It should ensure a healthy league and allow it to grow in poularity without worrying about finances...that in turn grow the players salaries. It can also ensure (with a minimum cap) that players salary never dip below a certian mark. A luxury tax system does not provide these assurances even if correctly instituted.

degroat*

habitual_hab said:
It all depends on what product you want to see on the ice. If it's a product where every team hovers around the .500 mark and no fan has the ability to identify with "franchise" players because players change teams too often, then it's for you. I, for one, prefer the "status quo".

I sure wish someone could provide a single shred of evidence that all teams would hover around .500 if the league had a cap, because all the current evidence says that's total BS.

degroat*

thinkwild said:
St Louis losses are CBA related?

Actually, yes. When the new ownership took over in 1999 they felt that they couldn't remain competitive without increasing the payroll, and I'm sure other teams such as Calgary would do the same if they had the Walmart family as owners also.

While it turned out to be a bad decision, there is no denying that the decision was related to the CBA.

degroat*

mr gib said:

That doesn't fly. Caps are based on a percentage of revenues. As revenues increase, the cap increases.

degroat*

DementedReality said:
and how is this fair to small market, done everything right, OTTAWA ?

They dealt Yashin for Spezza and Chara.

Why should we shut down the league to save NYI from Milbury at the expense of OTT ?

So in your NHL, OTT cant even benefit from the "improvements", but NYI can.

I see. Sounds real fair to bring OTT down to NYI's level.

DR

I fail to see how it is unfair to Ottawa that a cap would have resulted in them getting less for Yashin. That simply makes no sense at all.

degroat*

mr gib said:
the owners making money do not want to share with the poor ones - they want the players to foot the bill

Please do some research... this is your 2nd comment now that is totally wrong.

The proposals the NHL owners have offered have included revenue sharing.

Brent Burns Beard