A question about the salary cap

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by SkullSplitter, Feb 3, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. SkullSplitter

SkullSplitter Registered User

The Pittsburgh Penguins as of the all-star break had 96k in cap space left, with Comrie on IR.

96k allows them to spend approximately 1.35k per day, and Comrie's 500k salary affords them about 2700 dollars a day.

With that in mind, the Penguins this week have called up Tangradi and Jeffrey, who make a total 7200 dollars a day.

What I'm wondering how it is decided at what point in paying them their daily salaries does the LTIR kick in? At what point is a team considered over the daily cap limit?

Do they take 1.3k from the cap space, then 2.7k from LTIR, then the rest from the cap space?

Also, how are the Pens not over the cap, counting Comrie's LTIR status?

2. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

http://capgeek.com/tracker/team.php?team=26

May help explain it better.

Teams are allowed to go over the cap by player on LTIR's salary.

So, it could be that the Pens with what they were under the cap and the LTIR overage can afford (via cap hit) those two players.

3. SkullSplitter

I realize that teams are allowed to go over the cap by the player on LTIR's salary but his salary still counts, what confuses me is that if you have X in accumulated cap space, at what point are you determined to go over the daily cap and into LTIR?

Payroll Room.

The way I read it, that would mean that the daily limit is always equal to the yearly salary cap divided by the total days in the season, and that after the daily limit, you tap into your accumulated payroll room, and after that you go into your LTIR replacement.

But that doesn't seem quite right because it would seem to me that if you call a player up and tap into LTIR and then send them down, afterwards, you'd have zero payroll room.

4. SkullSplitter

According to capgeek though, that's how it works. . . so Jeffrey and Tangradi are just eating away at whatever banked space the Penguins have right now.

But it says that there is no more banked space remaining,

5. SkullSplitter

Crosby was just retroactively put on LTIR. Apparently they were over the cap.