A question about the salary cap

SkullSplitter

Jul 12, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Pittsburgh Penguins as of the all-star break had 96k in cap space left, with Comrie on IR.

96k allows them to spend approximately 1.35k per day, and Comrie's 500k salary affords them about 2700 dollars a day.

With that in mind, the Penguins this week have called up Tangradi and Jeffrey, who make a total 7200 dollars a day.

What I'm wondering how it is decided at what point in paying them their daily salaries does the LTIR kick in? At what point is a team considered over the daily cap limit?

Do they take 1.3k from the cap space, then 2.7k from LTIR, then the rest from the cap space?

Also, how are the Pens not over the cap, counting Comrie's LTIR status?

SkullSplitter

Jul 12, 2007
Pittsburgh
http://capgeek.com/tracker/team.php?team=26

May help explain it better.

Teams are allowed to go over the cap by player on LTIR's salary.

So, it could be that the Pens with what they were under the cap and the LTIR overage can afford (via cap hit) those two players.

I realize that teams are allowed to go over the cap by the player on LTIR's salary but his salary still counts, what confuses me is that if you have X in accumulated cap space, at what point are you determined to go over the daily cap and into LTIR?

To understand how each team's cap count is calculated, think of a bank account. For the 2009-10 season, teams got a "deposit" of about $294,300 each day which they can spend on player salaries [$56,800,000 salary cap upper limit / 193 days in the season]. The difference left over is "payroll room," or the amount that has been "banked" for the future, if needed. "Payroll room" can never fall below zero, meaning teams can't borrow from the future to pay for today. Everyone on a team's roster counts toward the cap, including players on the:
Active roster
Injured reserve
Injured non-roster
Non-roster
Long-term injured reserve
Players sent to minors on conditioning assignment
Players on waivers, until such a time they are reassigned
Players on emergency recall
Players signed to 35-plus contracts, less $100,000 if assigned to minors.
NOTE: Players on a team's active roster, injured reserve, injured non-roster or non-roster as of 5 p.m. New York time on a particular day will count toward the team's upper limit. In addition, if a player practices or travels with his NHL team or plays in an NHL game prior to 5 p.m. and is then assigned to the minors, he will still count for that day.
Also included are:
Deferred salary and bonuses
Buyouts

Payroll Room.

The way I read it, that would mean that the daily limit is always equal to the yearly salary cap divided by the total days in the season, and that after the daily limit, you tap into your accumulated payroll room, and after that you go into your LTIR replacement.

But that doesn't seem quite right because it would seem to me that if you call a player up and tap into LTIR and then send them down, afterwards, you'd have zero payroll room.

SkullSplitter

Jul 12, 2007
Pittsburgh
According to capgeek though, that's how it works. . . so Jeffrey and Tangradi are just eating away at whatever banked space the Penguins have right now.

But it says that there is no more banked space remaining,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->