A question about player ages

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
How common it is in Canadian Junior Hockey that age difference between two line mates is more than five years? I saw that kind of case in Finnish junior league today (19.4.1994 <-> 22.4.1999) and my initial feeling is that it would be quite rare, but is it?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
There are very few players that are granted "exceptional player status" to play in the CHL at the age of 15.

Off the top of my head, John Tavares and Connor McDavid were 2 players that were allowed to play. I believe there may have been 1 or 2 more, but I'm not 100% on that.

So basically, it would be a very rare occasion that you would see a player with an age gap of over 5 years because the maximum age that a player can play junior is 20.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
What level is EOJHL? I mean, if OHL is the premier level then EOJHL is...? (And yeah, I made an assumption here EOJHL is something like Eastern Ontario Junior Hockey League, which might be completely wrong)

That's exactly what it is. The EOJHL is a Junior B league, which is two steps below Major Junior.

I suppose it's possible though. You can turn 21 during your overage season (22, in the EOJHL, and -correct me if I'm wrong here- the AJHL) and you could call somebody up late in the season or have an underager or something. More than five years is not something that will happen often, but it could be done. I wonder how many times it has happened since we stopped allowing 15 year olds. Even still, I can only think of one case of an Olympique being 15 at the end of a season...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->