News Article: A pretty fair take I think.....

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
The roster changes on defense and goaltending are flat out bad. A NEW gm Has to put his stamp on the team but losing calvin and halak for a team with 7 million dollars to throw around when JT left....and then to not be able to trade for even a #3 defenseman...then to not sign eberle and Lee because you want a couple more picks....., if LOU told JT that this was his plan...Lol it would have cemented his leaving.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
The roster changes on defense and goaltending are flat out bad. A NEW gm Has to put his stamp on the team but losing calvin and halak for a team with 7 million dollars to throw around when JT left....and then to not be able to trade for even a #3 defenseman...then to not sign eberle and Lee because you want a couple more picks....., if LOU told JT that this was his plan...Lol it would have cemented his leaving.

I’m still improving on special effects.

That being said, your post made me want to throw Barzal, Beauvillier, Leddy, Bellows, and Trotz’ faces on this.

We will see the Isles go to war with what we’ve got when we have it. They may go through hell and put us through it just the same, but they will be better for it - damn quick.

Reactions: al secord

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Don't kid yourself. If this roster does not change it is going to be an ugly year no matter how amazing a few of the kids turn out. Our roster was a mess last year even with Tavares. Now he is gone along with CdH. Good luck with that.

Reactions: periferal

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I'm sure the plan was a little different before the franchise player decided he was leaving in the eleventh hour.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Don't kid yourself. If this roster does not change it is going to be an ugly year no matter how amazing a few of the kids turn out. Our roster was a mess last year even with Tavares. Now he is gone along with CdH. Good luck with that.

The main problem among all else was systems play. I'm holding out my prediction on what they'll do because I do feel they can cut down their goals against by at least 50 with that alone.

The team will score, we all know that. My expectation is about 30 less goals. But there are ways to work around it. Ideally this is what I want to see:

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Beau-Kovar-Bailey
Ladd-Nelson-Ho-Sang
Martin-Cizikas-Komarov
Filpulla/Clutterbuck as the extra forwards because you know injuries will happen.

3 lines that can score. There is actual depth.

Reactions: BTrotts19 and dood

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Until we see otherwise, it looks like the one line that everyone can reckon on us starting the season with is Martin-Cizikas-Cluttebuck. Seems to be written in stone.

But is it just me or does like EVERYONE forget that this team also signed Kuhnhackl this summer??? Sheesh, this preview doesn't even list him as an extra.

And until we see otherwise, no reason to think Ladd is starting this season anywhere but on the IR list/unsuited. Has he even hit the ice for a whole practice yet?

Lastly, I'm really kind of curious why this preview and a number of posters think Filppula isn't going to make the opening night roster? This was THE first guy signed after Tavares snuffed us. He's obviously the "replacement".:sarcasm:

But seriously, even if not up the middle, he's among the best 10 forwards we have on this team. It's not like he's some 39-year old coming off a 10-point season.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
We'll be lucky to hit .500

I'm preparing for one of the worst seasons in awhile. Everyone's top D line will be up against Barzal, cuz after that, there is nobody. I'm expecting Barzal to fall off due to top coverage and Lee and Bailey to drop off due to lack of supporting cast.

On the bright side, the D will be better (couldn't really get worse), and now well lose 3-1 instead of 6-4.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Fair assessment for sure....still...if the players buy in and "things" fall into place, I could see 5 more wins....or 5 less losses...either way.........and of course if they don't.....

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Until we see otherwise, it looks like the one line that everyone can reckon on us starting the season with is Martin-Cizikas-Cluttebuck. Seems to be written in stone.

But is it just me or does like EVERYONE forget that this team also signed Kuhnhackl this summer??? Sheesh, this preview doesn't even list him as an extra.

And until we see otherwise, no reason to think Ladd is starting this season anywhere but on the IR list/unsuited. Has he even hit the ice for a whole practice yet?

Lastly, I'm really kind of curious why this preview and a number of posters think Filppula isn't going to make the opening night roster? This was THE first guy signed after Tavares snuffed us. He's obviously the "replacement".:sarcasm:

But seriously, even if not up the middle, he's among the best 10 forwards we have on this team. It's not like he's some 39-year old coming off a 10-point season.
Am I thinking of the wrong guy or didn't Filppula get a full NMC that means he can refuse to get sent down or be traded?

Reactions: IODCPiper

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Am I thinking of the wrong guy or didn't Filppula get a full NMC that means he can refuse to get sent down or be traded?

According to this site, Filppula has an NMC.
New York Islanders - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Komarov has an M-NTC, meaning he can submit a list of 7 teams he'd be willing to play for i.e. be traded to.

Boychuk has an NMC and Ladd (yuck) has an NTC.

But that's it among our players.

Players can naturally waive these exemptions when the time comes, but they are currently part of their respective contracts.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Assuming Tavares was still on our roster, I think our team would be much closer to the 94 point team that just missed the playoffs 2 years ago then the team that crapped the bed last year and got 80 points. That being said Losing Tavares is huge but one can hope Trotz makes up a good chunk of the difference combined with some players being a year older and better(Pelech, Barzel, Beauvillier, Pulock, etc)

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
The main problem among all else was systems play. I'm holding out my prediction on what they'll do because I do feel they can cut down their goals against by at least 50 with that alone.

The team will score, we all know that. My expectation is about 30 less goals. But there are ways to work around it. Ideally this is what I want to see:

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Beau-Kovar-Bailey
Ladd-Nelson-Ho-Sang
Martin-Cizikas-Komarov
Filpulla/Clutterbuck as the extra forwards because you know injuries will happen.

3 lines that can score. There is actual depth.

I'm not fully convinced we can score yet. Losing Tavares, which essentially means losing an entire line, will hurt our scoring for sure. I see us having one line that will be a consistent offensive threat and everything else will be third-line secondary scoring. Plus, with a higher commitment to defense and limiting chances against, I think that hurts our offense as well.

The way this team has any modicum of success is by being hard to play against and winning tight games. This team is in trouble if it is playing from behind a lot. And we don't have a world-class netminder to bail out what will be lots of mistakes even with good systems in place.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
unacceptable outcome to the season. I would rather die then pick 11th again, playoffs or last place please :)

The optimist in me says it's probably better for the Isles to pick later than earlier if we are to look at recent drafts.

Picking in the top 5. Dal Colle, Reinhart, Strome, Neiderreiter

Picking from 11-30. Barzal, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Beauvillier, Pulock, Bellows, Nelson

Just weird how they have done much better picking later.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm not fully convinced we can score yet. Losing Tavares, which essentially means losing an entire line, will hurt our scoring for sure. I see us having one line that will be a consistent offensive threat and everything else will be third-line secondary scoring. Plus, with a higher commitment to defense and limiting chances against, I think that hurts our offense as well.

The way this team has any modicum of success is by being hard to play against and winning tight games. This team is in trouble if it is playing from behind a lot. And we don't have a world-class netminder to bail out what will be lots of mistakes even with good systems in place.

A)this team hasn't had a world class netminder in a very long time. Halak certainly wasn't one. DP pre injury was the closest to what you are saying. All I want from Lehner is what I saw his first year and a half in Buffalo.

B)1 1st line and 3 3rd lines is fine by me. That is still more offensive production than last year. Then it was two lines of offense and two lines of crap. Give me 4 lines that can do damage any day.

Those two things with Trotz behind the bench and they will be fine.

Reactions: Quicklime

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
A)this team hasn't had a world class netminder in a very long time. Halak certainly wasn't one. DP pre injury was the closest to what you are saying. All I want from Lehner is what I saw his first year and a half in Buffalo.

B)1 1st line and 3 3rd lines is fine by me. That is still more offensive production than last year. Then it was two lines of offense and two lines of crap. Give me 4 lines that can do damage any day.

The team also hasn't had a defense as bad as this in a long time. And that's saying something. And I'm not sure where we have 4 lines that can do damage. 1/2 of our forward corps isn't even NHL caliber. Hopefully they will have 2 solid lines but that's assuming no one regresses and puts a lot of faith in kids.

I see Trotz drastically reducing the GA but they are very far away from being fine.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

That all sounds good to me, but I'm a skeptic. We are super thin once injuries come again.

I just don't want to be laughed out of the building at away games. I'm still preparing myself on what to say when people ask about Tavares.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
That all sounds good to me, but I'm a skeptic. We are super thin once injuries come again.

I just don't want to be laughed out of the building at away games. I'm still preparing myself on what to say when people ask about Tavares.

Wouldn't say super thin when you have guys like Bellows and Ho-Sang working to make the team on offense and on D a guy like Devon Toews and Aho knocking on the door. Yea there are question marks but the signs are pointing to these guys being legit NHLers.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

chapin,

The preview does list Kuhnackl and I believe EVERYONE feels Filppula is on the decline and if Kovar shows more upside that Filppula might find himself in the press box.

If I were a betting man, I would say Filppula is the 3C between Komarov and Ho-Sang. Kovar could push himself in the lineup by pushing Komarov down to the 4th LW or push Ho-Sang to the press box.

Kuhnackl has an opportunity at W on the 3rd line.

I agree with Ladd to start on IR - Martin- CC - CC are reunited and Komarov and Filppula are locks for 3rd line

Last edited:

Equinsu Ocha

Oct 21, 2017
Winston Salem, NC
I like that they predict the islanders to finish 21th in the league. :skeptic:

E1Uu6n58_400x400.jpg

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
The team also hasn't had a defense as bad as this in a long time. And that's saying something. And I'm not sure where we have 4 lines that can do damage. 1/2 of our forward corps isn't even NHL caliber. Hopefully they will have 2 solid lines but that's assuming no one regresses and puts a lot of faith in kids.

I see Trotz drastically reducing the GA but they are very far away from being fine.
We had a defense this bad just 5 months ago. In fact, I'd argue it was notably worse, if you factor in the system/coaching.

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad