A Powerplay Under a Microscope

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
A Powerplay Under a Microscope

The Rangers’ powerplay, a black mark earlier in the season, has climbed into the top half of the league in efficiency, converting on 19.3% of opportunities.

As always, my analysis of the powerplay focuses on the number of controlled offensive zone touches a player has, how many of those lead to scoring chances and how many result in turnovers.

ppjanstlouis1.png

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
So once again, we've determined that Girardi should be taken off for Klein...

My freaking goodness av... Why is this so difficult??

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
So once again, we've determined that Girardi should be taken off for Klein...

My freaking goodness av... Why is this so difficult??

It's not only AV, Torts and Renney both regularly played Girardi on the PP too. Maybe the coaches see something in him that we don't.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Well I didn't say anything about Klein. I'd hope there are better options than both Girardi and Klein.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Coaches love G on the PP just about as much as the love Glass being in this league. Mind boggling but they all do it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I just do not understand what they see. His hockey IQ isn't high and his stick handling is terrible. I suppose he isn't bad at pinching in on the play but beyond that.... I don't see it

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Stepan being slightly inefficient doesn't surprise me. The way he plays on the power play with his back to the goalie, just so he can pass it back to the point, is absolutely infuriating.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Proves that McDonagh has been a turnover assembly line all year like many of us have been saying.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Which is the reason the Rangers felt the need to sign Dan Boyle. To be honest Stralman when given the chance did not do a hell of a lot either.

Keeping in mind that Klein is 30 years old and this is the first season he's really shown any real offense when I hear he should be on the Pwp I kind of think well....maybe not. As for when a power is about to end I'd rather one of Klein/Girardi were on the ice or if it's late in a game and we're only ahead by a goal I think it's a better idea to have two d-men out instead of 4 forwards and a D.

FWIW comparatively speaking this year's power play has been the best it's been since Jagr and Nylander were running it. The team is scoring just above 3 goals a game which puts them among the better offenses in the league and is the best it's been in a long time. To me it's not a real big issue.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think the only reason Girardi remains on the powerplay is because AV (and Torts and Renney before him) like a defensive defenseman "safety valve" on the PP. It seems like each year, the Rangers go through a stretch where they allow a torrent of shorthanded goals. This also seems to happen many times when the staff is experimenting with the power play point.

I think, after a while, they just accept an offensive black hole like Girardi because he mitigated offense going back the other way. Not saying its the best approach, not saying I agree with it, but I do think thats the reality of the situation.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think the only reason Girardi remains on the powerplay is because AV (and Torts and Renney before him) like a defensive defenseman "safety valve" on the PP. It seems like each year, the Rangers go through a stretch where they allow a torrent of shorthanded goals. This also seems to happen many times when the staff is experimenting with the power play point.

I think, after a while, they just accept an offensive black hole like Girardi because he mitigated offense going back the other way. Not saying its the best approach, not saying I agree with it, but I do think thats the reality of the situation.

Except Girardi himself is responsible for many point turnovers when his unit is on the ice. On top of that, it puts additional stress on the opposite point partner to watch for Girardi in the event he makes a mistake...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad