A. Perry, R. Wilson, A. Hooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrondbyDK

Mar 11, 2006
Denmark
I came across some players that have caught my eyes lately. Can someone provide additional infos to the statistics on hockeydb?

The players are Adam Perry, Ryan Wilson (both OHL) and Alexandre Hooper (QMJHL)

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
BrondbyDK said:
I came across some players that have caught my eyes lately. Can someone provide additional infos to the statistics on hockeydb?

The players are Adam Perry, Ryan Wilson (both OHL) and Alexandre Hooper (QMJHL)

Perry, where he has heart, won't have much of a future beyond junior hockey I don't believe. Although his stats are rather inflated for this year, that is primarily because he has spent most of the season on London's top PP unit and has benefited from being in front of the net with tip-ins etc... think it would be safe to say 95% of his goals come from within about 6 feet of the net.

I would be suprised if he got drafted and if it happens it will be in a very late round. Like I said he has heart but he doesn't have the skills that big brother has.

Can't speak for the others.

Default101

Wilson has a HF profile i think describes his play very well, personally am not a fan of his in the least bit he puts up offensive numbers puts out alittle physical play but beyond his offensive skills does not have the skill set, attitude and mostly the discipline to take a shot at the NHL.
"Scout #1: He’s too knock-kneed for me; he’s got some offensive gifts but my groins get sore watching him skate! There’s no way that he can be an NHL player and skate like that, his knees will wear out from rubbing together."
"ISS (Apr.): Although the St. Michaels Majors upset the No. 1 seeded Mississauga IceDogs in the first round of the OHL playoffs despite missing Nathan McIver, we were disappointed with the play of Ryan Wilson. He seemed confused at times, lacked intensity at times and his foot speed is still a major concern for us at ISS."

Adam Perry had some good skill when i saw him play earlier this month, i'm suprised he's not listed but he should get drafted at some point.

haven't heard anything on hooper

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Hooper's a small player who will probably end up as a career minor leaguer.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I always end up responding to the Ryan Wilson posts too, since I see him 15-20 times or so a year. At the end of the day, I usually bring it back to the mental/character question: I don't know the kid at all, don't know anything about his personality, etc. But if he impressed me in an interview and I heard good words from those in the know about his character, I'd definitely be taking a chance on him. When you start adding up what he does bring (hitting, fighting, great shot, natural offensive instincts), it'd be worth it to find out if he can show the determination and character necessary to work on his weak areas (skating, skating, defensive awareness, and skating).

And it does look to me like he has improved quite noticeably on his weaknesses in the past year. He doesn't fall every time when turns to skate backwards anymore. The frequence of his baffling defensive zone lapses has gone down noticeably. He still needs to improve everything about his backward skating, speed, balance, cross-overs, etc in order to have any hope of matching up against pro forwards. But skating can be improved IMHO. Past that, lots of guys in the NHL get by with some offensive instincts, a willingness to lay out hits, a heavy shot, and a general lack of defensive awareness (Jovanovski, McCabe, Souray come to mind). That's the role Wilson has in junior, anyway.

I'd say take a late round flyer on him, if you're satisfied that he has the determination and character to at least work on his weaknesses, because the rest of the package is certainly there in spades. It'd be a project, and probably the draft history says that very few such projects pan out, but the only way to find out for sure is to take the chance and see.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Blind Gardien said:
Past that, lots of guys in the NHL get by with some offensive instincts, a willingness to lay out hits, a heavy shot, and a general lack of defensive awareness (Jovanovski, McCabe, Souray come to mind). That's the role Wilson has in junior, anyway.

QUOTE]

Wilson's stats in the juniors have nothing to do with Souray ones...

Default101

Wilson compared to guys like Jovonovski, McCabe, Souray is a complete overexageration (unless your talking about the guy that sharpen's Jovo's skates ;))

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Wilson plays in junior like those guys do in the NHL. Obviously there isn't a hope in hades that Wilson will be the same calibre of player in the NHL. But the point is they all combine an offense presence/heavy shot and the ability to throw a hit with some boneheaded play in their own zone. If you'd rather compare him to Jason Doig or, I dunno, Remi Royer or somebody like that, be my guest.

Default101

Belizarius said:
Sportsnet.ca is very fond of Ryan Wilson :
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp?content=20051207_234359_4976
He's going to be drafted this time I think. We'll see... :)

just don't believe everything you read, trust me. he should get drafted, or atleast invited to a few pro camps, but his skating is still bad, and he still has trouble playing defence, he's a one dimentional player hit, shoot, hit, shoot thats all he relaly does, some team might take a chance on him in the later rounds, but i don't think he'll become anything

Last edited by a moderator:

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Ry-Dogg said:
his skating is still bad, and he still has trouble playing defence, he's a one dimentional player hit, shoot, hit, shoot thats all he relaly does, some team might take a chance on him in the later rounds, but i don't think he'll become anything
Oh for a minute I thought you talked about Brian McCabe... :sarcasm:
just a joke ;)

And of course I don't believe everything. I'm just trying to read more than 1 article to have a tendancy because I can't see anyone of them live... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad