A. Perry, R. Wilson, A. Hooper

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by BrondbyDK, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. BrondbyDK

BrondbyDK Registered User

I came across some players that have caught my eyes lately. Can someone provide additional infos to the statistics on hockeydb?

The players are Adam Perry, Ryan Wilson (both OHL) and Alexandre Hooper (QMJHL)

2. MomentsofSanity

MomentsofSanity Registered User

Perry, where he has heart, won't have much of a future beyond junior hockey I don't believe. Although his stats are rather inflated for this year, that is primarily because he has spent most of the season on London's top PP unit and has benefited from being in front of the net with tip-ins etc... think it would be safe to say 95% of his goals come from within about 6 feet of the net.

I would be suprised if he got drafted and if it happens it will be in a very late round. Like I said he has heart but he doesn't have the skills that big brother has.

Can't speak for the others.

3. Default101

Default101 Guest

Wilson has a HF profile i think describes his play very well, personally am not a fan of his in the least bit he puts up offensive numbers puts out alittle physical play but beyond his offensive skills does not have the skill set, attitude and mostly the discipline to take a shot at the NHL.
    "Scout #1: He’s too knock-kneed for me; he’s got some offensive gifts but my groins get sore watching him skate! There’s no way that he can be an NHL player and skate like that, his knees will wear out from rubbing together."
    "ISS (Apr.): Although the St. Michaels Majors upset the No. 1 seeded Mississauga IceDogs in the first round of the OHL playoffs despite missing Nathan McIver, we were disappointed with the play of Ryan Wilson. He seemed confused at times, lacked intensity at times and his foot speed is still a major concern for us at ISS."

Adam Perry had some good skill when i saw him play earlier this month, i'm suprised he's not listed but he should get drafted at some point.

haven't heard anything on hooper

4. insider

insider Registered User

Hooper's a small player who will probably end up as a career minor leaguer.

5. Belizarius

Belizarius Registered User

Working in a library
    Home Page:
  6. McDonald19

McDonald19 Marcus Pettersson

Analyst
    Ducks should use their 7th rounder on Corey's little brother.

7. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    I always end up responding to the Ryan Wilson posts too, since I see him 15-20 times or so a year. At the end of the day, I usually bring it back to the mental/character question: I don't know the kid at all, don't know anything about his personality, etc. But if he impressed me in an interview and I heard good words from those in the know about his character, I'd definitely be taking a chance on him. When you start adding up what he does bring (hitting, fighting, great shot, natural offensive instincts), it'd be worth it to find out if he can show the determination and character necessary to work on his weak areas (skating, skating, defensive awareness, and skating).

And it does look to me like he has improved quite noticeably on his weaknesses in the past year. He doesn't fall every time when turns to skate backwards anymore. The frequence of his baffling defensive zone lapses has gone down noticeably. He still needs to improve everything about his backward skating, speed, balance, cross-overs, etc in order to have any hope of matching up against pro forwards. But skating can be improved IMHO. Past that, lots of guys in the NHL get by with some offensive instincts, a willingness to lay out hits, a heavy shot, and a general lack of defensive awareness (Jovanovski, McCabe, Souray come to mind). That's the role Wilson has in junior, anyway.

I'd say take a late round flyer on him, if you're satisfied that he has the determination and character to at least work on his weaknesses, because the rest of the package is certainly there in spades. It'd be a project, and probably the draft history says that very few such projects pan out, but the only way to find out for sure is to take the chance and see.

8. MXD

MXD Dead again

Dead

9. Default101

Default101 Guest

Wilson compared to guys like Jovonovski, McCabe, Souray is a complete overexageration (unless your talking about the guy that sharpen's Jovo's skates ;))

10. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    Wilson plays in junior like those guys do in the NHL. Obviously there isn't a hope in hades that Wilson will be the same calibre of player in the NHL. But the point is they all combine an offense presence/heavy shot and the ability to throw a hit with some boneheaded play in their own zone. If you'd rather compare him to Jason Doig or, I dunno, Remi Royer or somebody like that, be my guest.

11. Small is an understatement.

12. Default101

Default101 Guest

just don't believe everything you read, trust me. he should get drafted, or atleast invited to a few pro camps, but his skating is still bad, and he still has trouble playing defence, he's a one dimentional player hit, shoot, hit, shoot thats all he relaly does, some team might take a chance on him in the later rounds, but i don't think he'll become anything

Last edited by moderator : Mar 17, 2006
  13. Belizarius

Belizarius Registered User

Working in a library
    Home Page:
    Oh for a minute I thought you talked about Brian McCabe... :sarcasm:
    just a joke ;)

And of course I don't believe everything. I'm just trying to read more than 1 article to have a tendancy because I can't see anyone of them live... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.