A peek at Finlands future

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I started thinking about Team Finland and how it will look like in the future. I guess I will be doing some sort of positional depth chart here. If I forget someone, or you think someone should be added to the lists please let me know.

These are either players that are now in the system or who are up and coming... I left out some of the older options (like goalie Bäckström).

Goalies:

Kiprusoff
Lehtonen
Nurminen
Toskala
Toivonen
Noronen
Ahonen
Niittymäki

Defense:

Timonen
Salo
Väänänen
Pitkänen
Lydman
Niinimaa
Berg
Karalahti
Söderholm
Nummelin
Kukkonen
Niskala
Lepistö

Centers:

S.Koivu
Jokinen
M.Koivu
Kapanen
Pirnes
Hahl
Santala
Viuhkola
Immonen
Filppula

Wingers:

Selänne (if he gets his knee operated and back to full health)
Lehtinen
T.Ruutu (He will most likely play wing, we have enough centers)
Peltonen
Kapanen
Laaksonen
Nieminen
Pirjetä (Could be a center as well)
Rita
Miettinen
J.Jokinen
Somervuori
Tukonen
Nokelainen
Korpikoski
Joensuu

It looks pretty good, but we really have to hope at least 1 or 2 of these young winger prospects pull through because Selänne wont be there forever (possible that he will quit now), Lehtinen and Kapanen are starting to be pretty old too.

We have no problems with goalies and center situation looks good too. Defense should be ok too.

Last edited:

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
I cannot say I am terribly impressed with Finland's forward group. It simply doesn't have the skill level of Canada, US, Czechs, Russia, or Sweden. But it looks like they will be a threat in any tournament, against any opponent, New Jersey Devils way. Elite goaltending, solid defense, and hard-nosed two-way game from their forwards.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
shveik said:
I cannot say I am terribly impressed with Finland's forward group. It simply doesn't have the skill level of Canada, US, Czechs, Russia, or Sweden. But it looks like they will be a threat in any tournament, against any opponent, New Jersey Devils way. Elite goaltending, solid defense, and hard-nosed two-way game from their forwards.

US and Swedens top guns are aging fast so that is not a problem for Finland. In the recent years Slovakia and Czechs have not produced as much top talent either. Canada and Russia are certainly running away in this cathegory, but then again, we came pretty close even with this set of forwards....as you pointed out.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I agree that the Finns are certainly on the upswing in terms of international play. Many of my friends felt the Czech game was the final game once the Finns beat the Americans, but I really thought there was a reason the Finns hadn't lost a game until that point. Great job for the Finnish team, and the future looks even more bright for them.

SuddenDeath

Sep 12, 2004
Douggy said:
Yeah, Numinen. That's who I was thinking of.

He (Teppo Numminen)'s born 1968 and was the oldest player in this team.
You were thinking about the future of Finnish national team......
If I know Teppo's 1160 NHL regular season games is a record for a European born defence player (Borje Salming appeared in 1148 games and Jari Kurri ranks first of all Europeans with 1251 games).
When thinking about the future of Finnish hockey I would like to remind that Tuomo Ruutu, C Mikko Koivu, G Kari Lehtonen and D Joni Pitkanen are all born in 1983. Lehtonen, Atlanta and Pitkanen, Philadelphia were with the team in this World Cup but did't get a chance to play. Saku's little brother Mikko appeared in first 4 games in this tournament. Colorado's Ossi Vaananen (4 games in this tournament) is born 1980.
I would like to say that these "boys" are to be the leading players for team Finland in the near future.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
For this tourny that just ended, were would Tony Virta rank on the depth chart?

Is he even on the radar or is it a huge strecth?

Vic Rattlehead*

By 2010, the three finnish goalies should be Kiprusoff, Lehtonen, and Toivonen. Damn, finland looks great between the pipes.

miss hockey

Sep 6, 2004
Helsinki
19bruins19 said:
By 2010, the three finnish goalies should be Kiprusoff, Lehtonen, and Toivonen. Damn, finland looks great between the pipes.

Kiprusoff should be #5 or #6 by then..

Lehtonen, Toivonen, Rask, should be past him
Lassila?, Niittymäki?, Ahonen?, some other kids? should be good enough to compete with Kipper for 4-6 by then.

Douggy said:
Weren't they the three finnish goalies this year? :dunno:

no, they were Kipper, Lehtonen and Toskala.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
miss hockey said:
Kiprusoff should be #5 or #6 by then..

Lehtonen, Toivonen, Rask, should be past him
Lassila?, Niittymäki?, Ahonen?, some other kids? should be good enough to compete with Kipper for 4-6 by then.

Depending on how Kipper does next season and the next couple of years he could be anywhere between #1 and #10 by 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad