Value of: A partner for Chabot

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Interesting you mention Ottawa’s salary structure. Tanev as a UFA is an ideal partner for Chabot, but would Melnyk sign a UFA, or would he rather trade young assets/picks for an existing contract that has a high cap hit, but a lot less real money left to pay out, and not get as good a player? It must be incredibly frustrating for Sen’s fans knowing their owner would rather save pennies than doing what’s best for his team’s play on the ice.
I actually side with ownership on this. I'm not a fan of Melnyk, but the rebuild was inevitable and refusing to sign high cost UFAs is just smart management

After the Karlsson-Hoffman debacle and the Duchene mess, the team really needed a rebuild badly. Too much salary cap tied up in guys like MacArthur and Gaboriks, etc.. to truly be competitive and there was no point trying to tread water. Once Karlsson/Duchene/Stone were destined to get paid 27-30M it just wasn't going to work unless you had some incredibly cheap guys waiting in the wings which Ottawa didn't have.

After that, what's the point in spending 80M or 60M? Maybe it might speed things up to take on bad contracts for draft picks (like Carolina), but Ottawa isn't a big market team and isn't profitable enough to do so.

Similarly, UFAs are almost always a bad idea. Look at the stats. For every success you get a failure. Why spend big money and potentially handicap yourself when you'll need every dollar 5 years down the road? Ottawa has no intention of competing now anyway. Save the money sign RFAs, and trade for guys who will be around when the team is successful. Ottawa isn't exactly wasting draft picks trying to save money, they're just not spending money.

Who is a player they've dealt draft picks for to save cash or avoid paying a UFA? I can't think of any

What is the point of Tanev to Ottawa? He'll be 31 when the season starts. You'll get him for 5M for 5years and he'll be worth it for MAYBE the first three years. Since Ottawa isn't going to be winning any cups in the next 2 years, why bother? Might as well find someone who is 25-28, and maybe might be around when the team is good.

If, in 3-4 years, the team is competitive and management won't spend money, I think there will be a reason to gripe. Otherwise, I have no concerns.

Reactions: NyQuil

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I actually side with ownership on this. I'm not a fan of Melnyk, but the rebuild was inevitable and refusing to sign high cost UFAs is just smart management

After the Karlsson-Hoffman debacle and the Duchene mess, the team really needed a rebuild badly. Too much salary cap tied up in guys like MacArthur and Gaboriks, etc.. to truly be competitive and there was no point trying to tread water. Once Karlsson/Duchene/Stone were destined to get paid 27-30M it just wasn't going to work unless you had some incredibly cheap guys waiting in the wings which Ottawa didn't have.

After that, what's the point in spending 80M or 60M? Maybe it might speed things up to take on bad contracts for draft picks (like Carolina), but Ottawa isn't a big market team and isn't profitable enough to do so.

Similarly, UFAs are almost always a bad idea. Look at the stats. For every success you get a failure. Why spend big money and potentially handicap yourself when you'll need every dollar 5 years down the road? Ottawa has no intention of competing now anyway. Save the money sign RFAs, and trade for guys who will be around when the team is successful. Ottawa isn't exactly wasting draft picks trying to save money, they're just not spending money.

Who is a player they've dealt draft picks for to save cash or avoid paying a UFA? I can't think of any

What is the point of Tanev to Ottawa? He'll be 31 when the season starts. You'll get him for 5M for 5years and he'll be worth it for MAYBE the first three years. Since Ottawa isn't going to be winning any cups in the next 2 years, why bother? Might as well find someone who is 25-28, and maybe might be around when the team is good.

If, in 3-4 years, the team is competitive and management won't spend money, I think there will be a reason to gripe. Otherwise, I have no concerns.
The idea of the thread is to get a partner for Chabot. Tanev is ideal fir that purpose. Getting a younger guy will require giving up valuable assets needed for a successful rebuild, and that player will likely not be as good a fit as Tanev.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The idea of the thread is to get a partner for Chabot. Tanev is ideal fir that purpose. Getting a younger guy will require giving up valuable assets needed for a successful rebuild, and that player will likely not be as good a fit as Tanev.
Tanev is not going to be a lot term fit. Ottawa needs a long term fit. He is not a good fit.

He costs extra money which Ottawa can't afford. Go look up "winner's curse" on wikipedia.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If any Ducks fans pop in, what would be the ask for Manson?

He's by no means untouchable (though the organization loves him and he wouldn't be cheap). I'd imagine a mid-1st round pick + something on either side to balance it (depending on where the pick is). I'm not sure if the teams are great trade partners, the Ducks need young RHD and top line players/goal scorers (bottom 9 forwards are filled and we're good on LHD). Ducks wouldn't give up Manson to to move up 1 spot (6th to 5th) because it's a similar caliber of player, and I doubt Ottawa would want to drop from 3 to 6 for Manson. The Isles pick (which I think is the only other 1st the Sens have?) is way too late. I don't know much about Sens prospects, but I doubt they'd be willing to give up a young RHD or goal scorer that would be worth it to the Ducks to move Manson.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I think Ottawa will sign or trade for a cheap guy who hasn't had the opportunity. Need size and more importantly defence. Chabot needs someone like Demelo (or they can just bring Demelo back).

I think the sens add a 3rd Brown to the squad cause why not lol. Joshua Brown from Florida. 26 years old, 6'5 220, pretty solid defensive RHD. Him and Zub would probably get a chance to play with Chabot this year with the lack of serviceable RHD on the roster.
:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad