Value of: A partner for Chabot

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Criteria: Top 4 RHD, 25-30 years old, good mobility, defensively responsible. Less so concerned with offensive ability, consider that to be a bonus, and will compensate accordingly. Check out the Sens depth chart and/or draft pick list, and see if there‘s anything ya fancy.

Neither guy is a long-term option, but Demers has a year left at $2.275M outstanding salary obligation, and Hjalmarsson's year is $2M outstanding.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think Ottawa will sign or trade for a cheap guy who hasn't had the opportunity. Need size and more importantly defence. Chabot needs someone like Demelo (or they can just bring Demelo back).

I'd love to inquire about Philippe Myers from Philly but I doubt they'd move him; and rightfully so. He's the perfect partner for Chabot, but they could say the same for Sanheim.

I think the sens add a 3rd Brown to the squad cause why not lol. Joshua Brown from Florida. 26 years old, 6'5 220, pretty solid defensive RHD. Him and Zub would probably get a chance to play with Chabot this year with the lack of serviceable RHD on the roster.

I'd bring Demelo back but if not, target someone who hasn't had the right opportunities to shine with their current team.

Also lowkey wouldn't hate taking on the last 2 years of the Subban deal cause yolo
You guys need Manson. He's the perfect guy. Or a Pesce or Carlo. Or even a prime-Braun type. I'm not a Sens fan, but I'd love to see a partner like that for Chabot.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Montour with Chabot would be good to see. He’s not big, but he’s a great skater (for putting out fires) and his zone exits are good.

Whoever plays with Chabot is going to be digging pucks out of his own corner all night, so zone exits are just as important as “shutdown ability”. It would also be nice to see someone in the lineup who has a decent RH shot from the point.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I'd hope that they get a Volch/Methot type of defenseman to play with him and Zub seems to be just that :thumbu:
Hopefully that he can adjust to the north american style properly

Reactions: bert

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Montour with Chabot would be good to see. He’s not big, but he’s a great skater (for putting out fires) and his zone exits are good.

Whoever plays with Chabot is going to be digging pucks out of his own corner all night, so zone exits are just as important as “shutdown ability”. It would also be nice to see someone in the lineup who has a decent RH shot from the point.

This is Deangelo to a t.

We don't HAVE to go there, but
is one stop shopping possible?

Sens want to get better, pref on the cheap.
Rangers want value, pref in futures so as to manage cap, give mins to emerging players, etc.

5OA + OTT 2020 + 2021 2nds
for
Deangleo + Strome + Buchnevich + 22OA + NYR 2021 1st [top 3 protected]

Buch is 3.25 rfa, Preds supposedly interested in him + 22OA + small add for 11OA, so w/w'o CAR pick, if you prefer not to keep him, they will likely make an offer.

Strome will take a covid depressed short term deal, as will Deangelo, each 4.5ish, 1-2 yr range.
Strome is righty shot C can do RW.
See what chemistry there is.
Keep use/flip.

Deangelo pair w/Chabot.

Rangers will trade back on the 5th to 6-7-8 and take LD Sanderson.
Get a 2nd now + next yr.
likely sacrifice of 1st next year is necessary evil in this situation

Sens have enough cap for productive adds.
NY gets out from under contract obligations, not only upcoming season which we could handle, but beyond, which would cause complications.

Keep Hank.
Geo for best offer
package deal w/Buf
Smith at half + for Hutton +

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The sens need a physical d man that can skate well not a smallish d man that is good for zone exits. Chabot is the zone exit, Montour is not the correct fit. Ottawa is so far away from contending, this year is a rebuild no moves should be made for addressing an immediate need, they dont even really know what they need yet. They need to give some of these young players a shot to see what they have in them.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

Montour is way too unpredictable a player to strap with Chabot imo. Would force him to play so much more conservative to compensate for Montour taking chances. I don't think he'd be a bad idea to add but not put beside Chabot

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Don't know if it has been mentioned but I think a sneaky good value signing for this situation could be Kevan Miller

Just give him 2 or 3 years at a fair price and let him play a simple game next to Chabot, I think it could work out well and gives their younger D prospects time to marinate until a more permanent solution becomes clear

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
What about Adam Larsson? Oilers seem ready to move him
Even if they are, are they going to give him away for free? Because that is the only way I can see it work.

1. He makes 5.1M. So he's not a terribly cheap option.
2. He has a low cap hit, which does not help the Sens since they are miles below the cap. Moreover, there are plenty of teams who DO need a lot cap hit which means someone out there would probably offer something better for him.
3. He's only signed for one season, so even if he does well, he's gone in 12 months. Unlikely to re-sign in Ottawa.

It makes no sense for Ottawa to give up real assets for a guy who costs 5.1M and is gone in 12 months. Especially when someone else will probably offer more because of his low cap hit.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Even if they are, are they going to give him away for free? Because that is the only way I can see it work.

1. He makes 5.1M. So he's not a terribly cheap option.
2. He has a low cap hit, which does not help the Sens since they are miles below the cap. Moreover, there are plenty of teams who DO need a lot cap hit which means someone out there would probably offer something better for him.
3. He's only signed for one season, so even if he does well, he's gone in 12 months. Unlikely to re-sign in Ottawa.

It makes no sense for Ottawa to give up real assets for a guy who costs 5.1M and is gone in 12 months. Especially when someone else will probably offer more because of his low cap hit.

Fair.

Larsson would help any team but he may not fit into the Ottawa salary structure.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Fair.

Larsson would help any team but he may not fit into the Ottawa salary structure.
Interesting you mention Ottawa’s salary structure. Tanev as a UFA is an ideal partner for Chabot, but would Melnyk sign a UFA, or would he rather trade young assets/picks for an existing contract that has a high cap hit, but a lot less real money left to pay out, and not get as good a player? It must be incredibly frustrating for Sen’s fans knowing their owner would rather save pennies than doing what’s best for his team’s play on the ice.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Demers + Raanta for Nilsson + Dal 2nd + conditional 2021 2nd? Conditions is if Raanta plays 40 games next year they get the Sens 2nd if he plays less they get the Sens 3rd.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Josh Manson prob makes a ton of sense... and I feel like the ducks will be lookin at trade options for Manson and Rakell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad