A Note on Trading signed pending UFA's

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Just a quick note to those teams who signed a pending UFA before July 1st last season that there is a financial penalty of trading that player before the all-star break of one season's salary. This is being noted, because a few of these players have been advertised as available via trade.

If you don't bring it up during your trade negotiations (i.e. you just plain forget), the money will simply be removed from your cash balance. It's up to each team to keep track of the player they are trading and their status, so 'forgetting' you signed a player last year will result in the penalty being automatic incurred (so no "oops, I won't do that trade then").

Sep 23, 2005
Hamilton
Ok, im not very clear on this... what if I trade a pending UFA and didnt sign him last season? im not really sure what the meaning of this rule is....

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
If you sign a pending UFA before he hits free agency you cannot trade him until the following year's all-star game without the penalty. This post was referring to players signed last season.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Just a quick note to those teams who signed a pending UFA before July 1st last season that there is a financial penalty of trading that player before the all-star break of one season's salary. This is being noted, because a few of these players have been advertised as available via trade.

If you don't bring it up during your trade negotiations (i.e. you just plain forget), the money will simply be removed from your cash balance. It's up to each team to keep track of the player they are trading and their status, so 'forgetting' you signed a player last year will result in the penalty being automatic incurred (so no "oops, I won't do that trade then").

What about RFA that was matched by the team during free agency.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
The player CAN be traded... but only to the team whose offer sheet the current team matched.

I think we need to have a complete list of all RFA matched players and all UFA players who were signed before free agency.

I know for the fact that Chris Philips was traded from Phoenix to Florida and I was the one who had signed him to RFA sheet.

It is no big deal and I knew that the deal was going through prior to being approved by Rich. My point here is there should be someone checking the list before the trade being approved.

My suggestion is to have a sticky note with the list of players so every GM is aware and can bring to Rich's attention.

HFNHL Red Wings

We are aware of Phillips but that was a special case. Essentially, since PHX did not have a GM at the time the league matched the offer on behalf of the organization and so the new GM was not held accountable for that.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
I think we need to have a complete list of all RFA matched players and all UFA players who were signed before free agency.

I know for the fact that Chris Philips was traded from Phoenix to Florida and I was the one who had signed him to RFA sheet.

It is no big deal and I knew that the deal was going through prior to being approved by Rich. My point here is there should be someone checking the list before the trade being approved.

My suggestion is to have a sticky note with the list of players so every GM is aware and can bring to Rich's attention.

See the link above in Tony's post for the RFA list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad