A Non-Superstar You Loved (or Love) to Watch

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Love the high-skill pests

Esa Tikkanen
Claude Lemieux
Ken Linsmen

I f***ing hate Ratface Tkachuk, but if he were an Oiler he'd probably be my fave player.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
In recent memory, Joffrey Lupul :dunno:

The guy had good size, hands, shot and bite, but couldn't stay healthy. There were a few flashes of that potential though, and it was great to watch when he was on.

Edit: I thought he was taller. But anyway, he wasn't small.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Nichushkin is an animal on the forecheck and is a great skater for a big guy. Plus he went from bust status to a top 6 player.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Somewhat surprised this thread didn't turn into a debate on who is and isn't superstar.

Mats Zuccarello

This was the first guy I thought of when reading the thread title.

Mikhail Grabovski. That guy had absolutely no regard for his own safety. Dude was like a human weeble -- wobbles but doesn't fall down. Would randomly pull out some f***ing crazy Robbie Schremp dangles twice a year. "Fire burn the ice." Then there's a photo set of him just casually stabbing a pineapple in a turtleneck. That guy was a different kinda dude lmao.

Should have thought of this guy when reading the thread title.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
As a non-Islanders fan, I really enjoyed seeing Josh Ho-Sang play, especially live. He could just be so silky smooth, wheeling and dangling... didn't often result in much, but it was a lot of fun to watch. I imagine it would've been frustrating as a NYI fan, though.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I remember the time I saw Avery realizing he was beat so he pushed an opponent offside to prevent an odd man rush. The man was the master of (on ice) subtly

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I kind of preferred the dangers. Not all of them would reach superstar status.
Arturs irbe all the way.

zednick a close second.

Zednik was a good player who I think never really hit his stride.

When I hear his name, the first two things that come to my mind were the two sickening injuries he received.

I thought zednik was really breaking through in the 02 playoffs, before Mclaren delivered a gruesome headshot. He eventually came back from it, and while he was still a useful player, I think he lost something after that play.

Then there was his throat being slit by a skate while playing Florida.

Reactions: Plante

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Afinogenov
Simmonds
Comrie
Oshie
Rafalski
Cechmanek
Barnaby
Letang
Skinner
Byfuglien
Bryz
Biznasty
Mike Richards
Kesler
Sami Kapanen
Grabner
Ghost
Subban
Sharp

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Dan Girardi when he was a Ranger.
iu

But sure, I get it. Without the puck, in the defensive zone, he had his spot and blocked a ton of shots. It was just that his puckhandling and outlet passes were absolutely atrocious, which guaranteed he would block a ton of shots.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Pre-KHL Sobotka was one of my favorite Blues, brought it every game, didn't back down from anyone and was very strong on the puck.
Geoff Courtnall - super pest with sneaky good scoring ability
Tony Twist - for obvious reasons
Scott Hartnell - seems like a funny guy and was always in the middle of things

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Chris Drury especially his time with the Avalanche and Sabres. He was so clutch, making big plays at crucial times of important games.

Like Game4 of the 2001 Stanley Cup Final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad