a new twist ?: "revenue certainty"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
most of you know my take on this mess. so i wont go into it.

if you put a knife to my throat and told me if i accepted a % salary tie to revenue (the key point in this issue) i wouldnt be killed and you would give me one concession, this is it.

since the owners want a partnership in this, the players should be able to demand "revenue certainty". why shouldnt there be demands on the owners to guarantee a certain level of revenue ? shouldnt the players be allowed to ask the owners to guarantee a certain level of revenue ?

1) this also means the players dont have to trust the owners figures, they can negotiate with a level of trust .. because:
2) if the owners arent able to generate growing revenues, they pay a penalty to the players.
3) the owners wont be so likely to hide revenue if there is strict enough penalties. hey, they want to make the players live with strict cost certainty, the players should be allowed to ask for similar levels of strictness on how much "revenue" the owners must delare. if the owners arent really hiding any, then they better get on their horses and figure out how to market the NHL. isnt this what they are earning the profit for ? isnt this their role in the industry ? if i am a player, i would be demanding them pull their weight.

this is the same as the owners asking the players to guarantee their luxury tax offer. the players are saying, fine guarantee the revenue doesnt go down.

if the players negotiate a starting point of a % of 2.1b and then demand it a trigger to get out of the contract in 2 or 3 years if revenue isnt up to 2.5b (a negotiated #)

also, if revenue does grow to 2.5b, since this is a partnership, the player % also rises as the revenue grows. this means all parties share in OUR money.

anyhow ... you might be able to convince me to support the owners concept of "cost certainty" if they agree to a similary strict demand of "revenue certainty" from the players.

look forward to thoughts from the other side.

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
DementedReality said:

if you put a knife to my throat and told me if i accepted a % salary tie to revenue (the key point in this issue) i wouldnt be killed and you would give me one concession, this is it.

since the owners want a partnership in this, the players should be able to demand "revenue certainty". why shouldnt there be demands on the owners to guarantee a certain level of revenue ? shouldnt the players be allowed to ask the owners to guarantee a certain level of revenue ?

1) this also means the players dont have to trust the owners figures, they can negotiate with a level of trust .. because:
2) if the owners arent able to generate growing revenues, they pay a penalty to the players.
3) the owners wont be so likely to hide revenue if there is strict enough penalties. hey, they want to make the players live with strict cost certainty, the players should be allowed to ask for similar levels of strictness on how much "revenue" the owners must delare. if the owners arent really hiding any, then they better get on their horses and figure out how to market the NHL. isnt this what they are earning the profit for ? isnt this their role in the industry ? if i am a player, i would be demanding them pull their weight.

this is the same as the owners asking the players to guarantee their luxury tax offer. the players are saying, fine guarantee the revenue doesnt go down.

if the players negotiate a starting point of a % of 2.1b and then demand it a trigger to get out of the contract in 2 or 3 years if revenue isnt up to 2.5b (a negotiated #)

also, if revenue does grow to 2.5b, since this is a partnership, the player % also rises as the revenue grows. this means all parties share in OUR money.

anyhow ... you might be able to convince me to support the owners concept of "cost certainty" if they agree to a similary strict demand of "revenue certainty" from the players.

dr

well, i thought it was a good idea and a major concession from this anti capper. anyhow, guess it made too much sense, so no one responded.

dr

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
DementedReality said:

dr
Very interesting...I think something like this is something that the two sides should be looking at...once they meet next week who knows, at least they will be in the same room, hopefully for more than a couple of hours!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
DementedReality said:
well, i thought it was a good idea and a major concession from this anti capper. anyhow, guess it made too much sense, so no one responded.

dr
As far as no one responding, I remember once I responded to one of your posts, and just because we disagreed, you called me a liar... I didn't appreciate that... so most recently I have just blown off most of your anti-owner stances... don't get me wrong, I think these boards are for discussion and we all cannot agree, but we can agree to disagree without the name calling.

Last edited:

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
It's an intresting concept, but I'm slightly worried as to what legnths the owners would go to generate revenue.

I'm not on the other "side", I resent both sides equally. :D

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
BLONG7 said:
As far as no one responding, I remember once I responded to one of your posts, and just because we disagreed, you called me a liar... I didn't appreciate that... so most recently I have just blown off most of your anti-owner stances... don't get me wrong, I think these boards are for discussion and we all cannot agree, but we can agree to disagree without the name calling.

you need to have thicker skin and not take things personally. i probably was using the word for context.

dr

Last edited:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
DementedReality said:
you need to have thicker skin and not take things personally. i probably was using the word for context.

dr

No one responds because nothing is a discussion with you. Its your way or no way and I think I can speak for a lot of us who would rather not even bother discussing the issue with you any further.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Bruwinz20 said:
No one responds because nothing is a discussion with you. Its your way or no way and I think I can speak for a lot of us who would rather not even bother discussing the issue with you any further.

thats your loss then. i wont lose sleep over you not talking to me either.

dr

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
DementedReality said:

dr

At first glance, I like it...

I'm all for 'sharing the risk'... IMO, if the players are going to accept tying a portion of their compensation to the revenue generated, then it's reasonable for the players to have a minimum revenue figure that they can count on (and plan their life around)...

If a team can't meet the revenue minimum, then perhaps money collected through a league revenue-sharing program goes first to paying commitments (i.e. existing player salaries)... The owner and GM also gets fined by the league for not being able to meet the minimum revenue requirement... If a team is consistently not able to meet minimum revenue requirements, this is going to **** off the other teams who have to keep bailing them out through the revenue-sharing program... and thus, this is going to also **** off Bettman... If a team is not able to generate a reasonable revenue minimum (as negotiated between the NHLPA and the NHL), then either (1) that team is in a poor market compared to league standards; or (2) the GM is doing a poor job running the business; or (3) a combination of 1 and 2... or (4) the negotiated revenue minimum was too high... However, if it's 4, then I would assume that at least 25% of the teams won't be able to meet the minimum... If it's only one or two teams who can't meet the minimum, then IMO, the negotiated revenue minimum wasn't too high...

I'm all for holding the GM and owner ultimately responsible for operating their team like a business... The actions of the GM (and the market conditions) are out of the players control... As such, if the players accept tying their salaries to revenue, then IMO, it is reasonable for the players to accept a guaranteed revenue minimum... Either have a guaranteed revenue minimum, or a say and vote in 'business decisions'... and I don't think that the second option would fly...

If a team can't meet the minimum, then IMO, it's reasonable for the league as a whole to pay for that team's existing salary commitments (through revenue-sharing), and have the team that can't meet the minimum pay hefty personal fines and answer to their peers and Bettman as to why the minimum could not be reached...

YellHockey*

It's an interesting twist.

Another twist the players could put on it is if an owner doesn't meet the revenue standards, he has to sell his team or the league will revoke the franchise.

And lets use the revenues that were defined by the Levitt report. If a team can't produce within 1 or 2 standard deviations of the mean revenue, they lose their franchise. That would really show the integrity of the Levitt report.

Why should someone like Bill Wirtz, who refuses to sell tv rights for home games on the dinosaur like belief that it would cost him significantly more at the gate, be allowed to cost the players millions?

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
BlackRedGold said:
Why should someone like Bill Wirtz, who refuses to sell tv rights for home games on the dinosaur like belief that it would cost him significantly more at the gate, be allowed to cost the players millions?

Good point. Why should teams be allowed to charge half as much to see the same game in a different city? Shouldn't the players also be negotiating a minimum ticket price? Isn't Bettman promising ticket prices will fall? How can the players allow the owners to unilaterally cut revenues?

Tom

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It is an interesting idea. Problem is of course that the NHLPA refuses to negotiate in good faith on the issue of a cap. They won't have it. If they'd allow it on the table, something like this might be negotiated. As things stand though, the players will continue to murder the season through their folly.

Brent Burns Beard