Garret Sparks

William Nylander for Rasmus Ristolainen

Nikita Zaitsev for Ryan Spooner - Buyout Spooner

Connor Brown for Zack Kassian (50% - 900K) + 2019 4th rd. Pick

Patrick Marleau for LA 2020 3rd rd. Pick after July 1st

Jake Gardiner's rights for Tyler Myers rights - Sign Myers at 5.8M for 4 years

Sign Noel Acciari at 1.25M per for 2 years

Sign Patrick Maroon at 2M for 1 year

An increased importance put on defense and team toughness. The 4th line is of a crash and bang variety, which is something the team as a whole has lacked. The defense gains toughness and in zone defensive ability. Ristolainen could really take off in a new environment, likewise for Nylander.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Marleau won't be moved. He's certainly not waiving his NMC for LA. Zaitsev for Spooner is brutal for Vancouver. Will never happen. Nylander for Ristolainen could be a good swap for both clubs. If the Leafs want a massive overhaul it'll have to involve pieces other teams actually want. Kadri could be one of those guys for example.

Reactions: Gecklund

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
In what world is Zaitsev’s 5 remaining years @ $4.5M AAV anywhere near equal Spooner’s 1 remaining year at $4M?

Kings don’t have the cap to eat Marleau’s deal at full value, and I doubt EDM retains on Kassian. They’re tight on cash, too.

Unrealistic “plan” — too many of your issues are far too conveniently fixed.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
In what world is Zaitsev’s 5 remaining years @ $4.5M AAV anywhere near equal Spooner’s 1 remaining year at $4M?

Kings don’t have the cap to eat Marleau’s deal at full value, and I doubt EDM retains on Kassian. They’re tight on cash, too.

Yeah. This doesn't feel like a fair resolution. Edmonton is in a pretty bad cap crunch themselves, adding zaitsev solves about 0 issues.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Zach Hyman - John Tavares - Mitch Marner
Andreas Johnsson - Auston Matthews - Kasperi Kapanen
Trevor Moore - Nazem Kadri - Jeremy Bracco
Patrick Maroon - Noel Acciari - Zach Kassian
ex. Frederik Gauthier + Nic Petan

Morgan Rielly - Tyler Myers
Jake Muzzin - Rasmus Ristolainen
Travis Dermott - Calle Rosen
ex. Andreas Borgman

Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks

William Nylander for Rasmus Ristolainen

Nikita Zaitsev for Ryan Spooner - Buyout Spooner

Connor Brown for Zack Kassian (50% - 900K) + 2019 4th rd. Pick

Patrick Marleau for LA 2020 3rd rd. Pick after July 1st

Jake Gardiner's rights for Tyler Myers rights - Sign Myers at 5.8M for 4 years

Sign Noel Acciari at 1.25M per for 2 years

Sign Patrick Maroon at 2M for 1 year

An increased importance put on defense and team toughness. The 4th line is of a crash and bang variety, which is something the team as a whole has lacked. The defense gains toughness and in zone defensive ability. Ristolainen could really take off in a new environment, likewise for Nylander.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
are you well north of 85 mill on your cap here?

your deals probably improve the leafs... so good job there. whether the other teams would/wouldnt do the deals isnt really worth arguing about

cap is a real issue for all teams... I think Toronto fans are going to be quite upset what cap management does to your guys before next October rolls around

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

There are arguments to be made for Nikita having value closer to neutral than highly negative. He was the best defenseman in the KHL for two years in a row before coming over. He got his big contract after a 36 point rookie season where he saw time on the power play. He hasn't played on the power play at all for 2 years and his numbers have suffered. He has still produced a little bit, but has underwhelmed. When given an opportunity on the PP at the world championships as Russia's #1 he went PPG through 8 games last spring. He has been used as a shutdown player going against other teams top lines a lot of nights and saw the most time for Toronto on the penalty kill this season. He has been well over 20 minutes for all 3 years on a playoff team. He is durable, young at 27 and has shown an edge to his game. His contract doesn't take him past 32.

In terms of right shot options this summer it comes down to Karlsson, Myers and Stralman. After that if a UFA this summer Zaitsev would likely be the most desired target. Spooner is a buyout candidate, he has no value to an NHL roster, Zaitsev does. He has a 3M signing bonus that can be avoided this summer as well.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
are you well north of 85 mill on your cap here?

your deals probably improve the leafs... so good job there. whether the other teams would/wouldnt do the deals isnt really worth arguing about

cap is a real issue for all teams... I think Toronto fans are going to be quite upset what cap management does to your guys before next October rolls around
I was a little under 83 with the contracts I gave. It should fit.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I am a fan of seeing what other fans think guys will earn... I got marner/kapanen/johanson well in excess of 16 million... are you much lower on those 3 contracts?
I had Marner at 10M per over 8 years and Johnsson and Kapanen at 2.5M per each over 2 seasons. My comparable for those last two is Marcus Johansson who got 2M per over 2 years in 2013 after a 46 point season followed by 22 in 34. Factor in inflation and it should come close.

Marner a little less than Tavares and Matthews because he isn't a prolific goal scorer, he isn't a first overall pick and before this season wasn't considered on their tier, so track record. In saying that, he's right up there in talent. They over payed Matthews on too little term, hopefully they don't make that mistake with Marner.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lol why does Edmonton retain 50% on Kassian and add a pick to get a more expensive player that did nothing in the playoffs and had half as many goals during the season? Because he scored some goals when pasted to better players? Kassian got bumped up and was scoring at a 25 goal pace too. Playoff beast for us vs the Sharks and a big reason we bounced them. Brown is not worth what you’re asking. Straight up and even then I’d say no right now.

Hell before Kassian was bumped up he was still keeping pace. Hard pass. You’ll get Matt Benning and you’ll like it.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Easy no to the Kassian trade

Kassian > Brown let alone adding a pick and retaining money
Brown has proven more effective offensively and defensively in short career. He's a better skater. He's a few years younger and an RFA at the end of his deal. He has history with McDavid and is a good buy low opportunity. He's someone buried on a deep roster that would see his numbers inflate in a scoring role with PP minutes and a good center dishing him the puck. I think Edmonton has an opportunity like that available for someone like Brown. Kassian is unique given his toughness and has performed on levels comparable enough to close the gap in value of the two players. Brown to Kassian is a downgrade for the Leafs, they do it to save cap and gain toughness to help make up for a soft roster make up.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Lol why does Edmonton retain 50% on Kassian and add a pick to get a more expensive player that did nothing in the playoffs and had half as many goals during the season? Because he scored some goals when pasted to better players? Kassian got bumped up and was scoring at a 25 goal pace too. Playoff beast for us vs the Sharks and a big reason we bounced them. Brown is not worth what you’re asking. Straight up and even then I’d say no right now.

Hell before Kassian was bumped up he was still keeping pace. Hard pass. You’ll get Matt Benning and you’ll like it.
The Leafs have no use for Matt Benning. Someone will give the Leafs a 2nd rd. Pick for Brown and like it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The Leafs have no use for Matt Benning. Someone will give the Leafs a 2nd rd. Pick for Brown and like it.

After one assist in 7 playoff games and 8 goals in the regular season? For 2 million dollars? No, they absolutely will not. A 2nd is a sizeable overpayment and his 20 goal season is nothing but a distant memory now. You’re getting greedy on a player that you have no leverage in selling. He’s not productive, he’s not cheap, he’s not tough, he’s not a playoff performer and he’s not coming off a good season.

Kassian, for the record, is actually a very good skater. Kept up with McDavid and Draisaitl no problem.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
There is a much more realistic and easy solution for the Leafs to make themselves over...

Nylander for Pesce
Brown for somebody and/or a pick.

Left with:
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-____
Petan-Gauthier-____

Rielly-Pesce
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Rosen

Ad

Upcoming events