A Message To Oiler Fans from Kevin Lowe

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I think this apology was forced on Lowe by Katz, Bettman, SNET, or somebody else that has clout.

The good thing about his presser is that I'm pretty sure he's now on a very tight leash. One more gaffe like this or MacT failing = Lowe sent packing.

Spartan117

Oct 13, 2007
Parts Unknown
i don't know why fans and the media think the Oilers, specifically Kevin Lowe, think that a job interview of the best candidates is a must. since when? Lowe can hire anyone he wants any way he wants and i think he's stuck his neck out on the line here because if it doesn't work with MacT and Howson, Lowe must realize that he'd be the next to go.

But this is exactly the problem. After failing to hire proper management his ONLY job is to hire the best candidates available by searching the world over, not hiring old pals just because they won Stanley Cups together 25 years ago. I doubt Kevin Lowe even considered any other candidates. He just wanted to give his buddy MacT a second chance after he completed his MBA. When your first strategy fails, you try another one, not adopt the first strategy again crossing your fingers that it will work this time around.

Lowe is such a narcissist that he will never admit the problem is with him. He'll blame it on someone else before firing them. Take for example his apology today. According to his comments, it was the happy emotions his heart was feeling that caused him to cut down the fans, not his brain which is what he's supposed to use whilst speaking.

His backup plan is Howsen (another old buddy from his past) as GM in case MacT fails. After MacT receives his PhD later this month, he'll gut the team and make it only slightly better but get the same results he used to as coach, which was to almost make the playoffs but fail near the end. Then he'll be fired and Howsen will take over.

Meanwhile, Katz knows so little about the business of hockey, he will never fire Lowe because he will have a hard time finding a replacement who has loyalty towards the Oilers like Lowe does. So no, Lowe isn't going anywhere even if these hirings don't work. The Oilers organization is now about buddies helping buddies. Katz really outta look into replacing KLowe since his track record isn't very good. He had one year since '99 or 2000 when he was hired where he did well with trades and signings....2006, one year, that's it. That's reason enough to replace him.

Best thing for this team is to fire Lowe. Start fresh and look outside the organization and the city and find someone completely different to do the job. Although Tambo wasn't doing as much as he should have and his history of trades were not effective, MacT should never have been given this position because of his history. I just hope this fool doesn't try to bring back guys like Pisani, Moreau, and Stoll or sign extensions for other buddies like Horcoff and Smyth.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I can't remember if Howson became GM of Columbus before Tambo became GM of the Oilers but Howson should have been the GM in the first place. He was Lowe's assistant for years and he did a pretty good job cleaning up the mess in Columbus.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Apology aside, KLowe made is sound like by talking/listening to the season ticket holders they somehow demanded the return of MacT and Howson. As if he had no other choice but to abide by the paying customers' orders.

Fail.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Kevin Lowe seemed angry in that forced apology because he knew his job is on the line.

Alienating the fans that support the team is a huge mistake on his part.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
He should have never said "we have two types of fans" in the first place. Good for him for apologizing, but him making the statement in the heat of the moment means that he really belives that STH's are somehow on a different tier than those who aren't STH's (for whatever reason)

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
He should have never said "we have two types of fans" in the first place. Good for him for apologizing, but him making the statement in the heat of the moment means that he really belives that STH's are somehow on a different tier than those who aren't STH's (for whatever reason)

But they are on a different tier. I am sure that I care just as much about the Oilers than any STH. The STH, however, pay a lot of money each year to demonstrate their level of support. Not living in Edmonton anymore I cannot show the same financial support to the team, but I recognize that someone putting their, "money where their mouth is," should received more attention that myself.

As Terry Jones mentioned, the correct way to express what Lowe wanted to say would be to thank all Oilers' fans that support the team over the years and then give extra thanks to loyal season ticket holders.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Lowe's comments were worth it for the comedic gold from Tychowski..

Rob Tychkowski ‏@SUN_TYCHKOWSKI 16 Apr
Still 3-1 Minnesota. Honest to God, it's like the Wild don't even care how many rings the Oilers management team has

Ouch, the Tier One fans are booing at Rexall Place

Rob Tychkowski ‏@SUN_TYCHKOWSKI 17 Apr
Last time I checked there is only one person I know who complains more than me, so, yeah, I know a little bit about whining.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Lowe's comments were worth it for the comedic gold from Tychowski..

Still 3-1 Minnesota. Honest to God, it's like the Wild don't even care how many rings the Oilers management team has

Ouch, the Tier One fans are booing at Rexall Place

Rob Tychkowski ‏@SUN_TYCHKOWSKI 17 Apr
Last time I checked there is only one person I know who complains more than me, so, yeah, I know a little bit about whining.

:laugh::handclap:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

:help::shakeheadI am no Lowe lover but that is not what he was saying. The question was basically if he listens to fan sentiment and has any idea how fans will take the news of hiring the old boys back. (Personally i dont believe MacT was part of the issue and if i recall Howson was gone before things blew up). Lowe was saying he doesnt talk to all fans but he does meet with STH's. Thats it. He was trying to be honest and show he doesnt listen to online banter or talk radio or opinion columns. So in response to the question he tries to seperate the fans to say what group he does talk to and get information from. The guy is an idiot, i chock it up to him being an idiot. In his apology he still doesnt get what people are referring to, he doesnt see how you can read anything but his original intent from it.

Seriously most of the anger out of all this is from people that didnt watch the raw footage. He responded to a question and has a lack of intelligence to word his response properly, and a further lack of intelligence to see his PR gaffe. It was just that... a gaffe... something others could use in their writing to get emotion from their followers. I dont think in any way he meant to say there are two tiers of fans. I also dont blame him for not listening to talk shows or online boards.
Good thing about hiring MacT is they can put KLOW far away from a camera where he can get drunk and let the eloquent and far more interesting and candid MacT grab the mic.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Yep, this is getting really overblown. I watched it live and have probably explained to well over a dozen people, who didn't watch, that he meant he was listening to the STHers, not taking other fans for granted.

So he's fiery and not a great PR guy. Big deal. He did a fine job before the lockout, got us Pronger and a Cup Finals berth, then chased some bad bets because no one wanted to come here, and he failed.

He has wear the failure of hiring and keeping Tambellini for so long. That's far worse than a bad press conference.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
But this is exactly the problem. After failing to hire proper management his ONLY job is to hire the best candidates available by searching the world over, not hiring old pals just because they won Stanley Cups together 25 years ago. I doubt Kevin Lowe even considered any other candidates. He just wanted to give his buddy MacT a second chance after he completed his MBA. When your first strategy fails, you try another one, not adopt the first strategy again crossing your fingers that it will work this time around.

Lowe is such a narcissist that he will never admit the problem is with him. He'll blame it on someone else before firing them. Take for example his apology today. According to his comments, it was the happy emotions his heart was feeling that caused him to cut down the fans, not his brain which is what he's supposed to use whilst speaking.

His backup plan is Howsen (another old buddy from his past) as GM in case MacT fails. After MacT receives his PhD later this month, he'll gut the team and make it only slightly better but get the same results he used to as coach, which was to almost make the playoffs but fail near the end. Then he'll be fired and Howsen will take over.

Meanwhile, Katz knows so little about the business of hockey, he will never fire Lowe because he will have a hard time finding a replacement who has loyalty towards the Oilers like Lowe does. So no, Lowe isn't going anywhere even if these hirings don't work. The Oilers organization is now about buddies helping buddies. Katz really outta look into replacing KLowe since his track record isn't very good. He had one year since '99 or 2000 when he was hired where he did well with trades and signings....2006, one year, that's it. That's reason enough to replace him.

Best thing for this team is to fire Lowe. Start fresh and look outside the organization and the city and find someone completely different to do the job. Although Tambo wasn't doing as much as he should have and his history of trades were not effective, MacT should never have been given this position because of his history. I just hope this fool doesn't try to bring back guys like Pisani, Moreau, and Stoll or sign extensions for other buddies like Horcoff and Smyth.

MS0STEa.jpg

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton
I can't remember if Howson became GM of Columbus before Tambo became GM of the Oilers but Howson should have been the GM in the first place. He was Lowe's assistant for years and he did a pretty good job cleaning up the mess in Columbus.

Howson was also the assistant GM that got us into the big mess in Edmonton.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
First tier?

Fifth tier. I live just outside Edmonton so my taxes won't fund Rexall Palace, I don't buy tickets at retail price, but I buy jerseys and clothing.

I'd like to know just how many STHers are really giving Lowe their full support, though. Their vote matters, and they should be screaming mad. Maybe they aren't, or maybe Lowe is lying.

Allforshow

Mar 13, 2013
A message to Kevin Lowe from a fan.

I went to eight games in the 2011/2012 season (2-3-3) and 4 games this year (2-1-1). I wasn't mad at all the loses even though they where terrible games and I never booed once. I own 5 jerseys along with ton of other crap and a few autographed pieces on my walls. I only say this because in not sure what type of fan I need to be to have an opinion that's valid to Kevin. The point of this post is that you have lost my business for the time being. I was planning to go to the Edm vs Ana game on Sunday. That is no
Longer in the question. I am now going to the Calgary vs Ana game on Friday in Calgary. I well be cheering for anyone to beat Calgary as I hate them, but I live hockey and the game. I simply can't stop going to the game I love. I well continue going to games in Calgary until the Oilers prove to be worth my hard earned money. I live 5.5 hours from Edmonton and only 2.5 from Calgary so it's cheaper for me anyways. I never thought it would come to this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->