A Message To Oiler Fans from Kevin Lowe

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
As I've maintained from the start, Lowe's comments about the fans were likely just a poor choice of words and I have no lingering animosity. However, Lowe's opinion that his success as a player mitigates a mostly awful career in management and makes him the most qualified person to lead this franchise was not a misstep, that is something he truly believes. And yeah, I have a huge problem with that.

Agree 100%. He was a solid complimentary player on Cup winning teams featuring a bevy of Hall of Famers. The true irony is that our current undoing is the veteran leadership/supporting cast - the one area his "winning" credentials would be seen as an area of expertise:(

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
lol i dont give a **** about this. I knew what he meant. But it's just funny to make fun of him for this because he can't express himself adequately, which in my opinion is the main point of all of this.

THIS^^^. I watched the RAW interview after hearing alot about the comment. The third party info i heard about the comments made me angry but when i actually saw the raw footage ... i got a totally different take on what he said. (BTW i am a Ticket holder) Lowe isnt the sharpest tool in the shed and im pretty sure he has certain issues...

Hearing the actual statement and knowing the guy isnt exactly educated I didnt find harm or foul in it.

Should he be fired? Yes. Was the apology sincere? No, because he has no idea how it was taken so far out of his original point (which he couldnt convey clear enough). He is sincerely apologizing for how it was taken by some but feels he shouldnt have to because he doesnt see how it was taken that way.
He should be fired but not for this. If he stays on with the organization...i dont want to hear from him again, unless we are hoisting a cup.

This was a non-issue, his mistake was for seperating ticket holder Fans and other fans... but his topic was how brass talk to fans and yes they talk to season ticket holders. Argh. dumb move seperating the two groups... by a dumb person... but no harm was intended. You wince when he does it, just knowing he put himself in a mine field through his ignorance.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Apology accepted.

Hey, he's a firery guy who hates losing. What else can you expect.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I never really got the point he was trying to make with that comment in the first place. Good on him for apologizing. He did appear to be chastened.

Still not sold on MacT as the GM. But at least Tambo is gone.

Lowe should be on the clock. Playoffs next year or he's gone.

me1ch

Jul 18, 2006
Vancouver
Well, Lowe didn't actually apologise. He's sorry that you are offended, not sorry about what he said.

He is probably on video only because a direct paying customer complained. Sportsnet has a ten year contract with the Oilers, and Lowe just slighted their customers.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I never really got the point he was trying to make with that comment in the first place. Good on him for apologizing. He did appear to be chastened.

Still not sold on MacT as the GM. But at least Tambo is gone.

Lowe should be on the clock. Playoffs next year or he's gone.

he was asked some question about fan opinion. He was saying how there are two groups of fans (as an observer you know he is going into bad territory at this point), and how the Oilers brass do have talks with season ticket holders to get feedback. He was meaning to be open and honest that the Brass dont go out and talk to everyone.

That was my take and his point is true and he was trying to be transparent with the fact its a closed group that he gets reactions from.

Still a dumb move but i know he is a dumb person so its just painful to watch and not something that angers me.

Oilers are best served by keeping Lowe away from a mic.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
He's held a job since 1998, and the only hint his job ever been in jeopardy was near the end of EIG's term as the ownership group. Cal Nichols not only went to bat for Lowe to get him a new contract, but also considered even a hint of dissent about keeping Lowe around as a betrayal of trust, and promptly sold out the EIG to Katz from the inside.

Katz is very close with Lowe, and reportedly much more loyal to him than anyone in EIG could ever hope to be.

Job. for. Life. That's what Lowe has, especially now that he's handed off the hot seat to his buddies.
sounds like the oilers were better off having EIG running the club...instead of katz....

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
15432960-man-with-his-fingers-crossed.jpg

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He has no idea what he's talking about.

He's literally scared. His body language says it all.

He tried not to grimace after his third sentence.

He couldn't stop blinking.

He kept nodding his head as the speech went on because he was totally forcing it upon himself.

Funny how he grimaced after dropping Mac-T and Howson's names and the biggest head nod was when he was trying to utter out that we have a world class management staff.

Wizeman*

I will be in the minority, but I totally accept his apology. I don't actually believe he has anything to apologize for.

I still want to know which reporter and which question set him off like that.

Canucks fan here.

I thought Lowe sounded sincere . He pissed off us fans who cant get to the games in person and thus aren't 'season ticket holders'.

He re emphasized the change in management. I would still prefer the Oilers get a better coach but thats going to be up to Mc Tavish.

You guys got a lot of good young talent and I bet you make the playoffs next year. This is the final lottery year for the Oilers for a long time. :)

MrOiler

Jul 28, 2006
Calgary
Critiquing an apology is like critiquing a win - you have to wear real tight underwear to want to play that game.

Maybe we can get Justin Trudeau on the Oilers site to apologize for society for making it tough on marathon bombers while we are at it.

I'll judge Lowe on his hire of MacT after we see the moves made in the next 12 to 18 months. Until then ... time to move on.

elpol

Re-Registered User
Nov 5, 2008
vancouver
The man who provides the 'vision' for the team to the owner. That is who Kevin Lowe is. That man you saw on TV the other day completely unprepared and unaware that the media wasn't going to blow daisies and bubbles from their collective butts. This, supposed 'world-class' manager can't even handle a rightfully angry fan-base who dare question his mighty intellect and unassailable expertise of the game that there could not possibly be another person even remotely as qualified as he.

Oh it's ok, cause he apologized for a classless and completely unprofessional statement because he was either unprepared, or perhaps, so arrogant as to believe that his poo doesn't smell and all that he says is gold and should never be questioned.

I think the comment towards Katz by Tychkowski in that the Oilers is being run more like a "tree fort rather than a professional hockey team" really exposes the truth of this team, and is something I've been basically saying for years... Expecting big changes? Good luck with that.

Kevin Lowe burns up goodwill practically faster than even the Biebs can manage to!! Do any of you really think that MacT, even with his obvious intellect and calm temperament, is going to be met with open arms by other GM's in the league, when KLowe is still here? I'd love to be wrong, but recent history doesn't favour that here. Expect massive overpays or boat-anchors.

big meh to it all, and he would probably have been better off skulking back to the tree fort and playing with his rings with his pal Daryl.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Lowe showed his true colors in the MacT hiring conference. I thought he was just stupid and deluded before but now I know that he's stupid, deluded and arrogant. An apology for damage control won't change that. And "world-class management?" World-class at sucking, I think he forgot to add. Recycling his same old buddies won't turn this team into a contender. Katz and Lowe & Friends aren't fooling anyone with this ****. The sooner these clowns are out the better.

t0mf00lery

Sep 12, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
Visit site
Is anyone else glad that Kevin and Craig weren't the GM for the last 3 years when they picked first?

I have a feeling that they'd both be too impatient to have just held fast and drafted 1st overall, rather trading the pick away in a "bold" move.

Now it's ok to start being a little less patient, so I don't mind seeing Steve gone and Craig taking over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad