News Article: A message from Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Rick Nash hasn't been a star in the NHL for a few years. He's been a Rangers forward who's done some good things now and then. But your statement was that Nash sells more tickets. The number of Zucc jerseys sold, and fan votes, says that has no correlation.

I'm not talking about RangersTown™!!!

Zucc is one of my favorite players.

Reactions: Ori

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Pretty sure that if Zucc and Mac are moved, the next captain is either Lundqvist or Marc Staal.

Goaltenders cant be captains: Bill Durnan - Wikipedia

Staal is not a captain guy. If any of the 3 guys we currently have are not here, its all a's until someone emerges and makes himself the obvious candidate.

Last year I said that Skjei was a future NYR captain. I hope that's the case if he can get out of this slump.

Reactions: Ori

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
You do everything that can make your team better of course. You do due diligence in your hunt for the best coach possible. You go after the best college free agents whether drafted or undrafted. You make astute draft picks. When free agency comes around you try to get players who are going to fit in well with your new coach and younger player core. I have to say though I don't like the idea of Mika Zibanejad as our No. 1 center. I'm okay with him as a No. 2--so if John Tavares was available in July I might seriously make a pitch to him. With no Nash and with McD and Zucc possibly gone we should have the money. Apart from that any UFA's I would sign would be younger ones in the range of 25 to 28--though I would be open to Grabner too.

Let me expand on the META:

The META in the NHL is determined by rule changes, expansion, current non drafted ~12-17 year olds, age and popularity of current stars and their respective markets, and national broadcast focus.

For example in regard to the rule changes, changing the behind the goal line goaltender puck play rules, changed the complete defensive play style of many teams not to mention removed many goalies who were in the league mainly for their puck handling skills.

Example 2: removing the red line and enforcing obstruction removed the mugging players

Example 3: allowing "Gretzky's Office" to exist

Example 4: allowing the clutch and grab during the over expansion around Y2k

So given the constraints I mentioned, what do you think the direction should be?

Note: I'm neither putting you on the spot or cross examining you. I'm asking your opinion.

Note 2: I look forward to other takes on that too

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Our buddy and former GM Neil Smith says that NY fans will never buy into a rebuild , especially only 3 points out of a playoff spot. When will these guys ever learn? There would be few fans of the Rangers/Jets/Knicks/Mets/etc. that wouldn't support a true rebuild done properly. The problem is when teams try to do it with half measures.

It sounds like management is finally willing to do a full rebuild. Tear it down. This core doesn't have it. The signs have been there since the TB series. Too often this team would come out like zombies even in the playoffs. Hopefully AV is gone in the offseason. His time has come for sure.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I'm completely fine with them trading any of our current roster players outside of Buchnevich. Also would love to get as low as possible in the standing to try and better our chances at a top 3 pick. This is exciting news and music to my ears.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Our buddy and former GM Neil Smith says that NY fans will never buy into a rebuild , especially only 3 points out of a playoff spot. When will these guys ever learn? There would be few fans of the Rangers/Jets/Knicks/Mets/etc. that wouldn't support a true rebuild done properly. The problem is when teams try to do it with half measures.

It sounds like management is finally willing to do a full rebuild. Tear it down. This core doesn't have it. The signs have been there since the TB series. Too often this team would come out like zombies even in the playoffs. Hopefully AV is gone in the offseason. His time has come for sure.

Neil Smith is so out of touch. He thinks this is 1991 and NHL teams can basically send $5M to Edmonton to cover their owner's debts.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
If McD goes and Zucc stays it doesn’t mean he doesn’t get moved at next TDL when he’s an expiring UFA. He is highly unlikely to be extended. Would we give him the C for 76% of one season?
Who is to say how likely he is to be extended if he plays out his contract?

Yes, I still believe he would get the C despite the uncertainty.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm completely fine with them trading any of our current roster players outside of Buchnevich. Also would love to get as low as possible in the standing to try and better our chances at a top 3 pick. This is exciting news and music to my ears.

I don't think there's any way we should trade Skjei and DeAngelo.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Canucks fans coming in peace or w.e I'm suppose to say, but I really wish our management had a message this transparent and stuck to it. I know some Rangers fans don't like it with where they feel the team is at the moment but at the very least stating your long-term direction/intention with the team (and sticking with it) is a very good healthy thing to do imo

When Linden became the Canucks president I honestly thought he'd understand the importance of transparency and direction more than the likes of Sather, Shanahan etc, but Linden and Benning have been idiots through and through with no direction whatsoever.

anyway, good luck on the rebuild/retool/whatever it is. Still have a spot in my heart for AV even though he's probably justifiably loathed in NY.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Canucks fans coming in peace or w.e I'm suppose to say, but I really wish our management had a message this transparent and stuck to it. I know some Rangers fans don't like it with where they feel the team is at the moment but at the very least stating your long-term direction/intention with the team (and sticking with it) is a very good healthy thing to do imo

When Linden became the Canucks president I honestly thought he'd understand the importance of transparency and direction more than the likes of Sather, Shanahan etc, but Linden and Benning have been idiots through and through with no direction whatsoever.

anyway, good luck on the rebuild/retool/whatever it is. Still have a spot in my heart for AV even though he's probably justifiably loathed in NY.

He isn't loathed enough IYAM but thanks for the kind words.

Enjoy the next decade of Pettersson and Boeser o_O

2011 still hurts

Feb 10, 2016
He isn't loathed enough IYAM but thanks for the kind words.

Enjoy the next decade of Pettersson and Boeser o_O
If you guys do rebuild properly and stockpile draft picks you'll end up with your own elite sniper/playmaker + a lot of others I'm sure. I'm not familiar at all with the amateur scouting department in NY but I imagine they'll be fine. Just hope your GM doesn't botch his re-tool while giving away picks/prospects and then say they were rebuilding the entire time when it blows up in their face. We could've actually had some defensive prospects now.

gl, if it is a full on re-build the Canucks will probably be tanking right beside you guys for at least this season and the next.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
People can't stand McD on the first power play. Now McD is an elite defenseman and we should keep him. What a head-scratcher this place is sometimes.

McD needs to be removed as C. We need a power change.

And Drasaitl for cash and Carey.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Don't know how far you go back, but always loved Linden. True leader, underrated player [in regard to the fan base; I know he's always been respected by the players] outside of Western Canada, and he deserved better treatment than he did during the Messier debacle and his time with the Fish Sticks.

Also, thank you for a civil post.

2011 still hurts

Feb 10, 2016
Don't know how far you go back, but always loved Linden. True leader, underrated player [in regard to the fan base; I know he's always been respected by the players] outside of Western Canada, and he deserved better treatment than he did during the Messier debacle and his time with the Fish Sticks.

Also, thank you for a civil post.
Linden was a fantastic leader/high character guy and a skilled "meat and potatoes" player in his time playing on those Canucks teams, but he's ruined his demigod image in a lot of Vancouver Canucks fans eyes with his incompetence in a management position.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Linden was a fantastic leader/high character guy and a skilled "meat and potatoes" player in his time playing on those Canucks teams, but he's ruined his demigod image in a lot of Vancouver Canucks fans eyes with his incompetence in a management position.
I hate how hockey teams seem to love hiring former stars from their team to management positions as if it's a coincidence that they're magically the most qualified for the job instead of the team just doing PR stuff and being lazy about finding the right hire

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Ding ding. At MSG.

I sincerely doubt Non-Ranger fans prefer Zucc over Nash.

I’m not really sure what the debate it.

I like Zucc over Nash by the way.

Are we not talking about MSG? Who cares if Nash is more popular in God knows where Nunavut?!

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Attendance is down. I'm shocked they'd come out & admit this.

I was about to walk away. After the Bruins game, I thought to myself, man, I have put a lot of money into my hi-fi stereo, why shouldn't i spend my 2-1/2 hours listening to music instead of watching rancid eggs on ice. Now they put out this confirmation to sell and call up Pionk, and I'm interested in seeing how he and the other new kids on the block do and how all the other stuff plays out. Well played, Glen and Jeff. Well played.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad